Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 02:26:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
738 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 738
Total: 738

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

New knobs for my CP Flight EL Series MCP and EFIS's

Started by tennyson, June 11, 2015, 11:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennyson

I took the FMC and both EFIS's out of the sim and bought them in to change the knobs over.
I bought the new knobs from ACV in Peru. They are beautiful quality, I'd say the best quality 737 knobs I've seen. They cost a bit of money, I think it was close to 200 bucks for the full set and postage from peru, which I believe came by camel and slow boat via China...

Anyway, I started out by removing the old knobs from the CP Flight (EL Series) FMC. They are just pushed on and are relatively easy to slide off.
The new knobs from ACV have grub screws to mount on the shafts, which is what you would expect from a quality knob manufacturer.
The new knobs are bigger and certainly more akin to the real thing. Some of the knobs are stepped and have two separate grub screws to accommodate inner and outer knobs.

I left a little room on the bottom of the knobs to actuate the press button functions.

When I had all of the knobs on the FMC, I decided to pull it apart and try to fit the scroll knob for the Descent action.
Turns out, I needed to take all of the knobs off to do this, so off they came again.

When I pulled the unit apart, as it turns out, the Descent knob cannot be changed and there is no need apart from the fact that the new descent knob is white, but the old knob is knurled and about the same size.
I was also going to change the Disconnect button as well, but the supplied button Certainly does not fit my MCP. Maybe this is made for the Pro Version, but I specifically asked Alavaro before I ordered, would these knobs all fit the CP Flight EL Series MCP and EFIS's, so I will be taking that up with him.

I put the unit back together and apart from the Disconnect button and the Descent knurled knob not fitting, the rest of the knobs look great.
I am super impressed and am very glad I did the change.

So, here's a few pics of the job:

Now, back out there to re-install the FMC and EFIS's,

Frank Cooper

Caflyt

I too got the knobs from Alvaro.
Frank is right, they brought my old opencockpits MCP out of the dark ages!
Shipping is definitely SLOOOOOOOOWWWW but worth the wait.

bagarie

Hy Guys,

just to be correct, the MCP knobs (Collins style) should not have any DECAL on it: just the Orange cross on Course knobs, no SEL on ALTITUDE and no Triangle on Heading. They coming from the Honeywell Style.

Also you should invert (according to your last picture above), the ALTITUDE knob with the IAS knob.

I know it's not very important but....

Regards
Arnaldo

tennyson

Thanx, mate.

I put the altitude and IAS on, according to the original ones on the MCP. Maybe CP Flight had it wrong or maybe just my unit.

Anyway, I'll change them around, really easy to do,

Frank Cooper

tennyson

No, it was me who screwed up.
As you can see from the top photo, the originals were as you said, SEL on the Altitude,

Frank Cooper

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate