Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:35:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
141 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 148
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 141
Total: 141

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737NG Simulator DOWN!

Started by jr2mey, July 08, 2018, 07:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jr2mey

Hello all!

So, when firing up the sim, my computer informed to wait while it completed its updates!!! :o  After that I have lost my ability to file share!  Even after trying to restore to the previous revision, I can no longer evenly connect to my other computers for file sharing.   These computers have been file sharing for years and now.... well... thanks microsoft... 

The computers CAN see each other however file sharing can only happen one way.

Anyone out there experience this issue or give me somewhere to look into fixing this issue?

1st.  I have gone through and verified that all my file and print sharing is selected for private and public.
2nd. Verified that password protection is turned off
3rd. Confirmed that all files for sharing are set to everyone and that "everyone is still set to full control in the security tabs.
4th. Insured each computer still had its own assigned IP address and that there were no conflicts.

Computers all wired to a switch ( not using wireless ) and setup as below

** SIM1; Win10 Home edition,  (went back to build 1709 after 1803 crashed my file sharing)
              -CAN ACCESS SIM3 FILES
             - CANNOT ACCESS SIM2 FILES

Software:
               P3Dv4
               Project Magenta MCP
               FSUICP

**SIM2;  WIN7 Home edition
               -CAN ACCESS SIM1 FILES
               -CAN ACCESS SIM3 FILES

Software:
               Project Magenta PM Systems
               Project Magenta CDU
               Project Magenta Sounds
               FDS.IT I/O board software
               WideClient

**SIM3;  WIN10 Home Edition, Build 1803(cant go back option not available)
               -CANNOT ACCESS SIM1 FILES
               -CANNOT ACCESS SIM2 FILES

Software:
              Project Magenta Glass Cockpit
              Project Magenta RCDU
              Wideclient

Another question for you guru's out there.  Would it behoove me to upgrade to WIN 10 Pro for networking my computers together or is that a silly notion that really wont get me any more advantage in this file sharing issue?

Thanks Guys,

James

Jason L

They got rid of home groups on 1803.  You can still file share but it needs to be done a bit differently.  My suggestion would be to get all of the systems on to the same version, 1803.
You then need to make sure that the login for each computer is the same.  Username and password.
Then you have to go and manually share each folder again to get things working.  It's a pain in the butt, but it does work.

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/microsoft-just-removed-homegroups-from-windows-10/

and how to do the shares the old fashioned way:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4092694/windows-10-changes-to-file-sharing-over-a-network

Jason L

Oh I forgot to add, you really won't gain anything useful by going to windows 10 professional.

Ed

Yes! I just experienced this a couple of days ago myself. Same thing.. computers shared perfect for years. I have't solved it yet. I suspected a windows update. I posted on the Prosim Forum looking for help as well, but still none of the ideas from there have worked.

I have managed to get 2 of my network PC's seeing each other again..but the server can still not file share with Client 3, however client 2 and client 3A can now see files both ways.

I am getting a "Can't Access (computer name here)" when trying to access Client 3.
I've done everything I can think of to get rid of that error, but nothing has worked. I had pretty much given up as I thought I was alone so have ordered an old I7 PC to replace Client 3. Odd thing is, Client 3 can see the files on the servor. !

My advice, go back over everything and make sure everything is set to share. There were some folders I had missed but things still worked before. Turn on your firewall and look for things that can't get through and allow them access. Check your ports, the Updates may have closed them without you knowing.

My sim didn't shut down but I was having issues, ACARS Com errors, PFPX not sending Data to TOPCAT etc.. I could still fly inputting my own info into the CDU but that was a pain. I'm now at the point where it says it can't send data, but it actually does get through???  Beats me. Never had this error before either.

Today after 2 days of headbanging the sim is working again, and I can send  flightplans and the rest of the data to the CDU through PSU via TOPCAT.

I think I tried every U Tube related to this error I could find..none worked for me. Try them yourself though..may get lucky. I'm waiting on a 2nd hand I7 as this ole Pentium just doesn't seem to want to allow file sharing anymore.

Sadly, I can't put a finger on what I did that actually got client 3 talking to the servor again and I'm thinking it will revert back to not working again, hence looking for another PC.

I will keep you posted if I find a solution  This is the U Tube of the error I got. This didn't work for me..might for you provided you're getting the same error.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z3H85ed6LY

P3D5.3HF2, 3 x W10 PC's, FSUIPC 6.19 ,WideFS, Prosim737 V3 ,ASP3D, Vpilot, GSXL2, Pro-ATC/X, RAAS Pro, AIG Traffic, ,PFPX, TopCat, SimSounds,  http://www.737ngxca.com/

jr2mey

Jason, Thanks I will give it a these a try this thursday when I get back to the SIM.  Especially about getting them all to build 1803 and same sign in.

Ed. I feel your pain, I have been at this problem for three days now and still no joy. Hence my reason for finally posting for help here in the forum.  Like you I get the " No permission to access" even though the computers can see each other over the network.. :huh:  Keep us posted if you continue to have success or not.  I will update if I get this girl back up and going again, and what I had to do as well.
James

Jason L

Yeah that 'no permission to access' can happen if you are not using the same username and password on every computer.

jr2mey

Jason, So both my Win 10 computers use the same sign in and password and yet SIM1 can access SIM3 but SIM3 cant access SIM1.. "XFiles TV show theme music" LOL
James

Aerosim Solutions

Hi all, my Worldflight crewmate and PC guru Thomas Dellenbach distributed this amongst Worldflight Perth teams the other day!
"Windows 10 update 1803 has removed home groups which will affect file sharing and causes problems with applications such as Active Sky if you run it over a network. In order for a LAN PC to show up under network, you will need to go to Services (Local) > Function Discovery Resources > set Startup Type to Automatic, select Start, select apply and click on OK".

this should solve your issues!

Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

RayS

Effing Microsoft.....

Leave our computers alone!!!!

Every time mine updates, I have to re-calibrate my screen because it breaks the warping.
Ray Sotkiewicz

navymustang

Ray - what the heck is going on that you loose calibration. That has never happened to me.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

RayS

I think it has something to do with upgrading graphics DLLs. Last time it happened, the FlyElise software no longer recognized the projectors.
Ray Sotkiewicz

James twomey

Followup as promised.

I believe that I have a lot more going on than the usual file-sharing protocol issues.  I have gone through all the kind submissions above and still have no joy.  What is interesting though is that after performing the below:

Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

Then rebooting the computer, I get the message:

"Your computer appears to be correctly configures but the device or resource (SIM1) is not responding.:o

I am now on the verge of looking for my five pound sledge hammer...LOL

Odd thing is that SIM1 still two way file-shares with SIM2 no problems.  Its only one way file-sharing with SIM3.

Anybody able to offer any ideas on this crazy situation? 

jr2mey

Update 2.0

So after scouring the MS web sites I have learned that I am not the only one effected.  Many out there have effectively had their networks come to a screeching halt.  The work arounds that are being offered will work depending on your version of WIN10 that you have.

If your computer was fresh install with WIN10, the work-arounds seem to work

If your computer was upgraded to WIN 10.....well...you might have a problem like me. So, until MS comes out with something to fix this I believe I might be left with two choices.

Format C: and install WIN7 64 again OR
Wait for MS to release and update
James

Aerosim Solutions

So pleased I stuck with Win 7, sim is running great! I think it's a good option especially with Prosim which was designed on Win 7
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

blueskydriver

What happens with W10 Pro version? Do the updates screw that up? I put that on Karen's computer last year because of network issues with the free Home Edition, as well as MS Office 365 issues with the home version.

After going to the Pro version, no more issues ever; although, it's not for flight simulation, it was still a problem with Windows updates (like always). I suggest everyone turn off auto updates and read through the items update list of the readme file from Microsoft and only update the items you think might be needed...

I am curious though, did you try any system restore points, even the auto restore ones? Go back about two update periods and see what hapoens...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Jason L

You can also fresh install windows 10. That's what I do any time a new major release comes out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jr2mey

John, from what I have read and understand your system set up should be just fine. Its the dummies like me who upgrades from a previous windows version ie (win7) to WIN10.

Jason.. Doing a fresh install of WIN 10 is an Idea I should look into.

Gwyn,...Yes sir!!  Smart man for leaving your system as is!!  I wish I had done the same. LOL

For now I am going to walk away for a few days and give my brain a rest. The few synapses I have left I need to keep!! LOL
James

Bob Reed

I do not believe that MS is going to release an update to fix this. They want you to buy the next (eg, Home to Pro) OS in the price range to get back the functionality you  lost. Yup if you dig into your wallet you can have it back.....

Jason L

I would not quite go there. They have actually opened up the opportunities with the home vs. Pro versions. The memory and hard disk space limitations used to be significantly lower for the home version.
I currently have two home version windows 10 1803 builds networked and one windows 10 pro 1803 with no issues. These were fresh installs and not upgrades.  While the upgrade process is a lot less bumpy then it used to be there are still lingering issues versus a fresh install.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mach7

In my case, I have disabled all windows updates for "7". This might sound a bit ridiculous, however my system is setup the way I want it for my sim not to mention that my system is not connected to the internet.

I might be losing a lot with respect to 'real' weather and vatsim etc etc...however I have found updating my computer usually leads to a loss or change of an already downloaded, perfectly working, headache free, program.

my 2 cents

navymustang

Another option for folks that I don't see mentioned to often: My main drive for several of my computers is a solid state drive. They are actually in removable bays accessible from the front panel of the PC. I clone these drives every time I make a major change.

If something happens with a windows update, or anything. In 30 seconds I shut down, swap a drive, re-boot - and all is fixed back like it was.

And yes - all five of my sim computers are tied to the internet.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

FredK

Jim

What cloning software are you using?

Cloning is something I have been putting off, but I really need to do this for my sim computers. I am planning to use Acronis.

Another word of caution regarding Windows....All my computers are fresh installs of WIN 10. About 18 months ago or so there was a major WIN 10 update that screwed up my 4 WideView computers.....could not boot into windows thereafter on each of these and had to do rebuilds.  The issue was that I had Windows loaded on an SSD and everything else loaded on a standard drive.  The Windows update could not deal with the two different kinds of drives.  I was not an isolated case...there were literally thousands of computers affected that were configured that way.  Microsoft acknowledged the problem but just said "oops, sorry, we see what the problem is" and never did release a fix to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.  Since then I have everything on a single SSD.  My plan going forward  is to set up clones on the exact same kind of a drive.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

navymustang

Acronis - just as you are.

B737NG

Gents,
     If you're having the same issue as I had in Windows 10, I know the fix!

(1) In your Sys Tray, right click on your network icon
(2) Select "Open Network & Internet Settings"
(3) Select "Network and Sharing Centre"
(4) Select "Change Advance Sharing Settings"
(5) Open up the options for "All Networks"
(6) Ensure "Password protected sharing" is set to "Turn off password protected sharing"
(7) Select "Save Changes"

DONE!

Good Luck! Steve
Steve Wekarchuk
'B737NG'

B737NG

Steve Wekarchuk
'B737NG'

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate