Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:28:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
114 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 148
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 114
Total: 114

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

How large a screen ?

Started by FSAddon_boss, October 29, 2021, 06:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSAddon_boss

Bit of a cryptic title, sorry. Some friends of mine in The Netherlands are building a 737 sim and have set up a large screen with 3 projectors. But their screen covers only some 120 degrees.

I was planning on a 180 degrees screen, so you could look out of the side windows and see the scenery.

My question to you experienced folks is: is this at all feasible or am I dreaming the wrong dreams ?

Thanks in advance for all advice and opinions
Best regards,
Francois
retired

Jason L

Mine is kind of horseshoe shaped and about 210 degrees in total.  Using Fly-Elise it looks good, although depending on how big your cockpit is will determine how much area you can cover with your projectors

RayS

Mine is also around 205 degrees. It's perfectly circular, with a 12 foot diameter, and roughly 5 feet tall. (No vendor... it's home-made using formica and 18% grey screen paint.)

It's driven by 3 short throw projectors.
Ray Sotkiewicz

FSAddon_boss

Oh great, that's excellent news !!!! What projectors are you using if I may ask ? What should I be aware of when choosing them? Amount of Lumen ?
Best regards,
Francois
retired

Jason L

I'm using darbee 1080GT's however it depends on what resolution you want and can handle with your computer equipment.  The Darbee's do 1080p.
The main thing is that you get 'short throw' projectors if you go that route.

blueskydriver

I'd suggest you go with a screen from Carl's Place as some of us here did. Here is a link to his screen calculator page on his website:

http://www.carlofet.com/screen-size-calculator

Figure out what you need then email/chat with them. Make sure you get the black border and bungee kit.

Then, if your purchase from them, you're just left with building or purchasing a curved frame to mount it on.

Go back and search some of my older posts, everything you need to know is there, amongst other posts from other members who were in the same phase of their projects...the screen.

Mine is 9'x39' and projectors are Mitsubishi Short Throw 1280x720 and yes, they're old now, but they do just fine. Also, the screen still has white space, so when I upgrade to better projectors I'll have room.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

sagrada737

If interested...   I have three (3) Optoma GT1080HD projectors, with adjustable mounts, and spare bulb, and all original boxes.  These are great Short Throw projectors for a static Sim project. 

I used them  for a few years on my 737 Sim.   When I changed to a 6dof full motion platform, I upgraded to a laser projector to better handle the motion/vibration.

PM me if interested.  If I sell these from the Forum, I will be happy to pay the Forum sales fee.

Keep up the good work Trevor.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

navymustang

Here is what I use:

http://northernflightsim.com/circular-projection-screen/

I have purchased two screens from him over the last 10 yeas. Haven't spoken to them for over 2 years so you will need to contact them and see if they still build the screens.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

FSAddon_boss

Hi all, many thanks for all the tips and offers.
Unfortunately, I am based in Italy and sourcing anything from outside the EU has some huge additional costs these days, because of the kneejerk Italian import fees they charge. Cannot even buy books from the UK anymore as I used to do.

I intend to build the frame myself, but the calculator will help !

Best regards,
Francois
retired

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate