Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:03:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
142 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 174
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 142
Total: 142

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Key2Mouse

Started by Bob Reed, July 10, 2010, 11:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Reed

Hey Mike you are using Key2Mouse aren't you? What do you think of it? You must be using a monitor not seen in th sim for your panels. Does this work ok?

Boeing Skunk Works

Key 2 Mouse sucks compared to FSUIPC mouse capture.

You don't need a visible panel for FSUIPC mouse capture to function after the function is programmed. I can start up the 727 just like it's supposed to using this. I can do all pre-flight functions, and any function that is not supported by either FSUIPC directly, or unsupported in the flight model.

Before Pete made this available, yes, I had to use K2M for everything that was unsupported in the sim. I may as well as just had a wall of monitors representing the cockpit instead of a hardware cockpit.

If it weren't for this program my 727 would never have become 'alive'.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Bob Reed

Well my issue is some of the functions I need for the Aeroworx B200 are not offsets or are non published ones so Peter's utility will not work for me. Thanks for the answer.

Boeing Skunk Works

Pete's utility will work. I have no off-sets, keyboard commands, or regular FSUIPC commands for half of the aircraft.

The mouse capture utility will work for any switch or knob in any aircraft that functions in the flight model. That's why he designed it. There's no associated command. You just throw the switch or turn the knob in the cockpit and it automatically does the same thing in the flight model panel without it being seen.

Don't get hung up on off-sets and keyboard commands. I have never used even one off-set for any function in the 727 and everything works fine. half of the controls in the aircraft are mouse-only with no keyboard command at all.

Don't you remember the hassle I was having at trying to get the elevator hold to function on my Sperry AP head? Nothing worked until Pete dreamed up this mouse capture utility.

Bob Reed

Well if I throw one of thses switches while the thing is in macro mode, nothing happens.. So want to tell me how to do it? I mean I have played with it a little bit but I just could not get it to do what I wanted and after reading his docs I assumed it would not do what I wanted.. Help?? Would be great if I didn't have to use the panels!

Boeing Skunk Works

Pete's not the best technical writer I've ever read instructions from. It's a bit confusing the way it works, and frankly it's been so long since I've programmed anything for the sim I can't tell you how to do it from memory.

But if it works in the flight model with a mouse or a keyboard command, the mouse capture function will work. Give it another try and read through the documentation again while you are attempting to program. IIRC, there is a part of the process that requires you to confirm the command, but I can't be sure of this. It's not very intuitive for sure, but it may have been the only way to make it work.

Above all, don't give up.

Are you using FSX? If so, all bets are off. I do not know if it will work with FSX or flight models native to FSX.

Bob Reed

Thanks Mike I will give it another try. I am using FS9....

Bob Reed

After a couple more hours of trying.. I can confirm that mouse trapping will not work on the Aeroworx King Air B200 Shame would have made my luife much easier!!

Boeing Skunk Works

I would contact Pete directly then, either through his site or one of the many forums he frequents. I think he has a forum at Avsim.com.

Bob Reed

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on July 10, 2010, 06:02:03 PM
I would contact Pete directly then, either through his site or one of the many forums he frequents. I think he has a forum at Avsim.com.

I did and he says that this gauge probrbaly does not support it...

Boeing Skunk Works

Well that sucks.

I don't know enough about how models are created to know why it won't work.

What could be so special about their code that it would reject or not recognise a remoted mouse command?

Boeing Skunk Works

One last thing before nixing the idea.

Have you tried programming a function where you would see an indicator on the MIP or a state change of an instrument?

I just remembered that some of my switches did not move while programming, but the function of the switch worked as it should have.

If you have a lamp test button, or landing light switch (at night of course), or a fire test warning, you might try one of these.

Bob Reed

When I go to program the "switch" I do not get the menu, you know the green one at the top, that asks me to save the command.. I get it on some stuff but not the switches I am trying to proram. Peter says the software does not work on every aircraft or as he says gauge. It depends how they are written. So barring re witting the panel I am going to have to use Key2Mouse....Oh well...

Boeing Skunk Works

Sorry to hear that. Not seeing that popup menu is a good indication that something is wrong. I guess you've tried moving the mouse all over the switch area. Some developers really have a tight spot for a mouse click.

I hope you can work something out with K2M. Be warned though, after you have programmed your functions, lock your panels to keep them from moving. K2M is matrix based and if that panel is moved just a fraction of an inch nothing will work, or you'll get some mighty strange occurances from unrelated actions.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Bob Reed

Thanks for the warning.. I allready found that out.. Can you lock the panels? Blast it has been so long since I did this. I just trashed my entire FS install and could find no way to fix it. I had the views screwed up good! Tried deleting the CFG file and everyhitng could not get them back.. Oh well part of the game I guess..

mounty

Bob,

Have you tried using something like a Hagstrom Keyboard emulator.  Before Pete came up with his mousetrapping I used a combination of Key2Mouse and a Hagstrom encoder.  If you can use a mouse of keyboard coding then the emulator will work wihtou having to have the screen open.

Rob

Bob Reed

Quote from: mounty on July 11, 2010, 05:35:16 PM
Bob,

Have you tried using something like a Hagstrom Keyboard emulator.  Before Pete came up with his mousetrapping I used a combination of Key2Mouse and a Hagstrom encoder.  If you can use a mouse of keyboard coding then the emulator will work wihtou having to have the screen open.

Rob

I would like to hear more.... I am well versed in keyboard encoders......

Boeing Skunk Works

I used this too. But you'd be better off using one of Leo's boards over the Hagstrom product...unless they've improved it insofar that you don't have to use diodes. The matrix configuration is terrible for some combinations and you won't know which until you try them.

I retired the Hagstrom almost two years ago now.

It's a bitch building an unsupported aircraft but the rewards are more than you can imagine. The sense of accomplishment makes you want to brag to anyone who'll listen. Especially the naysayers and companies that won't build for us.

Bob Reed

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on July 11, 2010, 07:10:32 PM
I used this too. But you'd be better off using one of Leo's boards over the Hagstrom product...unless they've improved it insofar that you don't have to use diodes. The matrix configuration is terrible for some combinations and you won't know which until you try them.

I retired the Hagstrom almost two years ago now.

It's a bitch building an unsupported aircraft but the rewards are more than you can imagine. The sense of accomplishment makes you want to brag to anyone who'll listen. Especially the naysayers and companies that won't build for us.

Yea I am very well versed in the Hag card.... Built a 737 overhead with that and 2 Phidget led 64 cards.. Had a little app that I helped develop that made it better....

Bjarne Horsbøl

Hello Bob

QuoteYou must be using a monitor not seen in th sim for your panels.

This is not necessary. As I understand for your main gauges you will use a monitor behind a panel.
That is also the way I will do mine. In between your visible gauges you place the switch gauges you need with FSpanel editor.
I tested it and it works fine. As you know I have some experience with panel´s and placing gauges.
If you don´t know how to do it, I will gladly make the panel for you as desired.

Regarding FSUIPC mouse capture. Yes that is absolute the best and easygoing way to access functions with no shortcut.
But it presupposes there is a known/unknown offset.
Otherwise FSUIPC mouse capture will NOT work, as you already have experienced.

The access to functions of Aeroworx gauges lies somewhere deep in the programming.
This is also the reason why we newer succeeded  through the years to find a solution in cooperation with the Aeroworx team.

Hope this will be a help to you.

Best regards

Bjarne  :)
Regards -
Bjarne Horsbøl

http://sdmaus.com/kingair/index.php

Bob Reed

Hi Bjarne. Unfortunately I will be using most of my MIP monitor realastate as I will be using the Avidyne PFD/MFD But I do have a small lcd that I plan to use just for this purpose. Again I will ask, once you setup the screens is there a way to lock them? I would hate to have one of these gauges move even a little! Now a crash refresher course in the aircraft.cfg file so I can add liveries without rebuilding the gauge setup.. I am loving this!

Bjarne Horsbøl

QuoteAgain I will ask, once you setup the screens is there a way to lock them?
You can modify the panel.cfg to a default setup with the position´s and size´s.
Just keep a safety copy of the cfg file,and you will always´s be able to re-establish.

Now.. mouse2key is not that over sensitive. Lets say you have a gauge 50x50 pixels, and you have assigned the hotspot in the center, then the panel can move about 25 pixels in all directions without loosing the hotspot.

But why should panels move unless you do it by accident.

Another way  is to make a new fullscreen panel with all the gauges you need.

I also think it is possible to lock panels from moving and resizing via FSUIPC, I will check that. 

edit:

Found this in FSUIPC user guide

Stop cockpit sizing and moving prevents you from re-sizing or moving any part of the panel or the docked scenery views. This option is for those of you who get annoyed by the accidental movement or resizing of parts of your cockpit when you are using the mouse merely to click a switch or adjust a control. Just remember, if you set this option, that you will need to temporarily un-set it if you want to re-arrange anything. This includes moving switchable parts of a cockpit, such as the radio stack, GPS, or throttle quadrant.
[NOTE: This option does not work if you have your Windows' Display Properties set to ?show window contents while dragging?, in the list of options in the Effects tab. FSUIPC then has no chance to prevent the re-draw]
Regards -
Bjarne Horsbøl

http://sdmaus.com/kingair/index.php

FBSInfo

Hagstrom make a USB keyboard encoder (KEUSB108) that uses discrete inputs instead of matrixed inputs. Gives you 108 independent switches, each of which can generate a macro of up to 64 key presses and releases. You do not need diodes or resistors or a power supply or a driver. You use their software to configure each switch and it is saved into the boards memory.

It is worth checking out.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate