Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:51:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
110 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 110
Total: 110

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

The Progression of a build [Phase One]

Started by GyverX, March 13, 2018, 05:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GyverX

I really haven't thought out how I am going to do this thread and maintain it with updates, but I'll go with this for now.

X-plane have proven to be a beast that needs taming. After spending some money that I shouldn't have ;) I went out and purchased the "GTN750"1 from RealityXP. I did this so could have an easier way to control my coms.

X-plane Does not readily have undocking windows like FSX. There is a free plug-in called "XHSI"2. This is a great Plug in and looks to be saving my sim for now. With this plugin I think I can start flying with some confidence.

Next I am going to get the 64 button board from Leo Banardo so I can control aspects of the sim with sort of ease.
Here are some pics. If I remember I will take some pics of the full set up
After messing with XHSI for about 3 days now trying to get it to work and proving my own assumptions incorrect I finally got it working. Here are the pics

************************ Will keep ya updated ************************
4-10-18

Well, I really wasn't ready to post anything because I really don't have anything. At lease to me, I don't have anything. At the request of Trevor on one of his Live streams I am posting this with picks of what I have. While was at posting what I have I thought I would use this thread as a build thread and the progression of my cockpit.

I do have my own office in my house, It was something that was agreed upon between my wife and I. Its not that big but My desk has to function as many things other than a desk. It is a left sided L solid Oak Desk, so with that being said. NO DRILLING!.

other than Flying I like to Drive or Race.

With Racing or American Truck Simulator I set this up.

This is a Logitech G29 with Shifter. Then I took a PVC T Fitting and made an Eaton Fuller 18 Speed shifter knob and then added a Jake brake button on it. All of this is on 1/4 plywood and a 2X4 for structure and is able to be moved and put away so I can use my desk as a desk.

Made a Video on the shifter Knob here
https://youtu.be/UPbhz03BogU

This was really my first venture into Arduino . A simple 2 switch and button game controller set up just for the Shifter Knob.

Why Now?
I recently upgraded to a new computer. (I build my own, Always Have). I went from a i3 2770 8gig, DDR3 Ram (1666) and moved into a Ryzen7 1800x with 16 Gig ram (2666) with an Asus CrosshairVI. I was only able to go with a EVGA 950FTW because of the GPU Crisis that is going on right now.
Here are some pics

So, With all that said Here is where I am at with my build so far. It is not much.
Its basically a Saitek Yoke Throttle Peddle combo I have had for a while now. So long in fact I had to clean the Pots in the throttle housing about a year ago (Not fun).

The Yoke and Throttle housing are (Again) on a 1/4th plywood. Thats it.Its held to the desktop with quick release clamps. I am looking and a few designs to replace the basic clamps.
Here is what I have so far.

So here are my plans.
1. use Sketchup to build my office. This is something I should have dont when I fist moved in and something I have been wanting to do for awhile.
2. Learn as much on Arduino as possible. Already got a book on order.
3. Use Sketchup to build my idea for a half of a Pilatus PC12 or even a 1/4 size.
Following thing I really need are
A. AutoPilot Buttons (With Lights)
B. Control panel for heading bug and others
C. Over head panel buttons switches and lights
D. Radio Stack.

Thats what I have so far for what I want to accomplish. There is more as I can move more and more closer to a somewhat real mock up of a PC12 cockpit. I have a lot of ideas and tools at my disposal. So here I go....

Thanks to Trevor to getting me to do this post...

1. The RealityXP GTN750 for $50 is a great addon but there are some issues with this one. Weather does not work as it grabs its data from the GTN trainer from Garmin and not the Sim. Also it grabs its navigation data from the trainer and can not be updated and is locked in at 1611.

2. XHSI is a great plug in for X-Okane but you really need to read the program and the preferences and ports. 

So, It has been awhile since I have updated anything here in this build. Lots of things have changed since the conception of the idea of this build. I have thought things over, and decided to not build a PC12 simpit. I still love the PC12. It's a great plane to fly. The issues I have been having, is it's range and speed. I have been flying the Cessna S550 from Caenado for X-plane for since a few days of it's release. Despite the 70's look of the cockpit, it has grown on me and the edits I have made to the aircraft itself, have made it more enjoyable to fly. This coming from someone that never really went for the jets. I think it was because the FSX Learjet conditioned me early on to steer away from them.
I have thought it over and wanted to get the most long-term use of my simpit that I build, so I have decided to go with the S550 Citation II. This will give me the most freedom to configure and build the components that are needed and with a larger panel have more of what I need. With that being said, I have made the beginning mock up of my sim pit.

All things change. So I am starting with a list of gauges that will be required and devising plans on making those gages.
I understand that Ruscool makes a lot electronics for the Citation, Which is great, but I want the satisfaction of building this from the ground up. And lets face it, It will save on cost.
I will update this post with a link to the new build thread for the S550
Here is to hoping.

Trevor Hale

Jason,

This is awesome.. Thank you for taking the time to post it.  Your project thread idea is a great one..  Keep us posted with your progress, I for one love to see new builds.

I can't wait to see more..

Thank you for being a part of the community, and for watching the stream.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

GyverX

First Steps.
I need to further my knowledge of Adruino so I bought a book. This is just the basics and will use this to expand my knowledge of what it can do and what I can accomplish.

From there I will buy a book on the computer language C. Not just so I can learn syntax but so I can have a reference to the code I am using.

Right now the project is looking up. I am saving up for a 3D printer to make knobs and panels. And I just found a place to build a half cockpit in my office. If the measurements are good I should be able to start putting nail to woof this summer.

Until then I am still going to build the controls I need for my desktop version.

Will keep you guys updated and hopefully be able to provide some tutorials on how I get all of it done.

Thanks For reading 

GyverX

OK Here is an update for the week of 3-25-18

I have been having a seriously, unfortunate, head pounding headache of a time trying to research and figure out how to get the EADI, EHSI and Engine displays "Undocked" for additional displays. after being exhausted and exhausting my resources I am considering to moving over to Prepar3d for my cockpit. This is not a big deal for the cockpit build as nothing will change with the design or process. With that said, it has allowed me to move into the 2nd stage of building. "The Blue Prints"

I have posted some images to show scale and measurements of the space I have to consider in this build. For now it will be a little more than half a cockpit, bu will be building it so I can later move out of where it will be to make it a full size cockpit. My ultimate goal is to have my wife fly a flight with me :) Heres to hoping.

Here are the images. Please keep in mind it is still in the early stages and I need to figure some things out as to the skeleton of it and to be able to take it apart in sections. All this need to be planned with a lot of forethought.

Thanks for reading

Trevor Hale

Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

GyverX

Updated original post Phase one on the sim.

jpomales67

GyverX

A friend(software engineer/Programer) of mine and I are working on an add-on for the "Engine Information" panel for the PC12 since I'm building a PC12 Cockpit, its almost done. Will let you know whenever is available.

Cheers

GyverX

Quote from: jpomales67 on November 19, 2018, 03:39:04 PM
GyverX

A friend(software engineer/Programer) of mine and I are working on an add-on for the "Engine Information" panel for the PC12 since I'm building a PC12 Cockpit, its almost done. Will let you know whenever is available.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. Thats sounds great. Can I ask what platform you are building this on?

jpomales67

GyverX

Quote from: jpomales67 on November 20, 2018, 09:27:31 AM
X-Plane and FSX
Thats double cool, but I was wondering more on the platform were it pertains to things like, Siminovations platform, or Arduino, Pi?

Just wondering
Thanks

GyverX

Update to the Original Post
So, It has been awhile since I have updated anything here in this build. Lots of things have changed since the conception of the idea of this build. I have thought things over, and decided to not build a PC12 simpit. I still love the PC12. It's a great plane to fly. The issues I have been having, is it's range and speed. I have been flying the Cessna S550 from Caenado for X-plane for since a few days of it's release. Despite the 70's look of the cockpit, it has grown on me and the edits I have made to the aircraft itself, have made it more enjoyable to fly. This coming from someone that never really went for the jets. I think it was because the FSX Learjet conditioned me early on to steer away from them.
I have thought it over and wanted to get the most long-term use of my simpit that I build, so I have decided to go with the S550 Citation II. This will give me the most freedom to configure and build the components that are needed and with a larger panel have more of what I need. With
All things change. So I am starting with a list of gauges that will be required and devising plans on making those gages.
I understand that Ruscool makes a lot electronics for the Citation, Which is great, but I want the satisfaction of building this from the ground up. And lets face it, It will save on cost.
I will update this post with a link to the new build thread for the S550
Here is to hoping.

Trevor Hale

Awesome Bud,  Good to see the FIRE burning inside you again....
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Joe Lavery

I see another accomplished Sketchup user there Jason, nice planning.

My advice, get yourself a 3D printer, it's surprising how many parts you can make that will save you bucket loads of cash. Of course I'm assuming that you don't have one already...  8)

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

jpomales67

I wanted to share my HOME PC12 Cockpit project. There are few minor details I have to work on, but so far everything is functional and working like a charm.
Working on the pedestal and a few minor wiring to backlit the panels. Lots of FUN!
Hope this motivates you to work on your own project.

Happy Flying!

GyverX

Slacker

GyverX
what program are you using to do that room and sim design ?    I need to layout my sim room but dont want to spend a tone of money on a program to do it.  just looking for options to a pencil and paper
Cheers Steve P

GyverX

The Program of choice for that is Sketchup 2017, This is the version that installs on your computer other than the new version that is browser based. Im at work so I can not provide a link but a google search should help.

Slacker

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate