Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 10:29:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
506 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 499
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 506
Total: 506

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Looking to modify OC MCP V3 backlit control

Started by mariodantas, December 10, 2016, 12:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariodantas

Hi fellows, I saw anywhere in the net I think thair.nl that it is possible to modify the OC EFIS backlit behaviour by cutting 1 wire in one of the IDC10 connectos and attach a PWM or simple bridge the cable to power on / off the backlit, it is good when we wan to simulate the ambient in a cold and dark cockpit, Ok I've decided to make the same modification and lead that cable into a relay wich operates with bus tie, so when bus transfer goes to bat or auto the backlit comes alive (via that relay)

Ok I'm looking to do the same with my OC MCP V3 but didn't fin in the internet any schema allowing me to know wich cable feeds those backlit leds, so if anyone have a knowledge about this hardware  and how to modify it, I'll appretiate your help.

I tried some tricks with the feeded 5V from the adaptor but when power of the MCP looses connection with IOCP and the recovers the connection, also the EFIS have the same behaviour.

Thans in advance for your help, it will be appretiated.

julianknaf

Hi,

I would also be very interested in some input concerning this issue. It was always a pain to have the cockpit in Cold and Dark but the MCP module is still shining brightly...
On the OC MCP the LEDs are soldered directly onto the PCB and I cannot see any cables which could connect to the Backlight... So if somebody kows what to do then please give us some tips!
Thank you very much!
Julian

mariodantas

Quote from: julianknaf on December 10, 2016, 11:10:00 PM
Hi,

I would also be very interested in some input concerning this issue. It was always a pain to have the cockpit in Cold and Dark but the MCP module is still shining brightly...
On the OC MCP the LEDs are soldered directly onto the PCB and I cannot see any cables which could connect to the Backlight... So if somebody kows what to do then please give us some tips!
Thank you very much!
Julian

Hi Julianknaf, take a look at thair.nl for the EFIS, in the left IDC10 cable, you have to cut off one cable and make a bridge to turn on and off the backlit, but for the MCP i still looking forward.

OC modules PnP have all this problem, the backlit is permanent, not lice the IDC ones.

anijan

Although it is not completely answering your question: I soldered 2 x 2 wires to the back of the circuitboard (see picture) and connected those 2 pairs with a 1 kohm resistor (just for safety, because I don't know exactly what is behind the board of course) and a 10 kohm potmeter used as adjustable resistor in series. In that way you can control the backlight in an upper and a lower section.  I located the potmeters on the lower MIP; they are the ones intended for the DU brightness, which I didn't use before.

Jan

mariodantas

Quote from: mariodantas on December 11, 2016, 02:01:42 AM
Hi,

Thank you very much!
Julian

Hi Julianknaf, take a look at thair.nl for the EFIS, in the left IDC10 cable, you have to cut off one cable and make a bridge to turn on and off the backlit, but for the MCP i still looking forward.

OC modules PnP have all this problem, the backlit is permanent, not lice the IDC ones.

Seems to be what I was looking for, I will only put ON / OFF using a relay but you find the spot to control the backlit, many thanks to you fellow, and yes you answered my question with your photo.

mariodantas

Quote from: mariodantas on December 12, 2016, 05:57:16 AM
Quote from: mariodantas on December 11, 2016, 02:01:42 AM
Hi,

Thank you very much!
Julian

Seems to be what I was looking for, I will only put ON / OFF using a relay but you find the spot to control the backlit, many thanks to you fellow, and yes you answered my question with your photo.

Ok when I look at mine, I see 2 resistors in the inner side of the back PCB, so I suppose that you unweld those ones to put em back and feed two cable, 1st to the PCB point where the restistor were welded and secont to the resistor itself, and same thing for the énd resistor ?, so these 4 cables need 2 10k pots ?

anijan

Mainly correct, except that I left the resistors where they were, so in principle I created a shortcut over these resistors ranging from 1 kohm to 11 kohm. With that range, I can put the backlights completely on and off.
Jan

mariodantas

Quote from: anijan on December 13, 2016, 04:11:10 AM
Mainly correct, except that I left the resistors where they were, so in principle I created a shortcut over these resistors ranging from 1 kohm to 11 kohm. With that range, I can put the backlights completely on and off.
Jan

Greeeat mate, I'll try with mine tonight, I really like a true cold and dark situation.

mariodantas

Quote from: mariodantas on December 13, 2016, 04:14:22 AM
Quote from: anijan on December 13, 2016, 04:11:10 AM
Jan

Greeeat mate, I'll try with mine tonight, I really like a true cold and dark situation.

Ok I've tried the thing, when I unweld the resistor, the light becomes brighter, the same occurs with the other one, so the up and down side of the MCP becomes brighter when the 2 resistors are unwelded, I think that the solution to cutout the backlit is in the lower right IDC10 cable (looking from back of MCP)

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate