Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:57:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
343 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 407
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 343
Total: 343

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

A friendly FYI on Boeing rudder pedals

Started by kattz, June 09, 2019, 07:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kattz

I am installing OEM hardware where I feel it's necessary for my 737-700 sim.  I've been fortunate to get the yokes, columns, and TQ.  I also purchased an entire rudder linkage set as well, wanting the holy grail of linked brakes and pedals, and hardware substantial enough to do control loading on.

Which brings me to my point.

I had many people tell me that "the rudder pedals from the seven-zero thru the seven-four are the same". 

So when I made a purchasing decision on the rudder pedals and linkages from the seven-four, I wasn't too worried.   I knew ahead of time that there were physical differences in the leg adjusters, that the links for the seven three went aft while the seven four went fwd.  Minor differences that could be resolved.

However, when they arrived, they looked BIG.  And they are.  A size 15 shoe with snow boots could fit in the seven four pedals.

And, they are NOT the same pedals as the seven-three.

While all of the linkages for the brakes, adjusters, etc. should work, the seven three is approx 18" or so wide.  The seven four's system is 20" wide.  This is too wide for the seven three footwell box.

So please keep this in mind.

Thx.

Kev

fsaviator

I happen to have four 737 rudder pedals.  Just the pedals - if you are interested.
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

kattz

Thank you.

However, I need the vertical tubes as well like attached.  I found these this morning and now need one more set.  The rest of the seven four setup should work fine.

Regards,

Kev

Gallie

Hello,

The Pedals themselves are the same on all 70/72/73 and 74 models.

Ive had 747 pedals and linkage in one of my first cockpit builds.

Boeing changed the linkage on the NG. They stopped using the round linkage and started using rectangular linkage. By using the rectangular linkage they got the pedals closer together and created enough room for the wider CDU bay to fit.

Ive had the linkage of my 737-classic rudder system machined in order to fit the replica NG CDU bay.

The same person also shortened the pins that hold the pedals to the linkage.

I think he removed about 10mm from each.

Pics included

Michael

kattz

I considered this bit would have had to machine 2" out and there's not enough there to machine away.  Thanks!

kattz

Quote from: Gallie on June 10, 2019, 01:19:27 AM
Hello,

The Pedals themselves are the same on all 70/72/73 and 74 models.

Ive had 747 pedals and linkage in one of my first cockpit builds.

Boeing changed the linkage on the NG. They stopped using the round linkage and started using rectangular linkage. By using the rectangular linkage they got the pedals closer together and created enough room for the wider CDU bay to fit.

Ive had the linkage of my 737-classic rudder system machined in order to fit the replica NG CDU bay.

The same person also shortened the pins that hold the pedals to the linkage.

I think he removed about 10mm from each.

Pics included

Michael

Hello, Michael,

I received the 737 pedals and linkages today.  No difference in width, sad to say.  But the 747 is 3" shorter in length, meaning that I don't need as deep of a floor for the hardware as the 737 pedals do.

Both the 747 and 737 are 20" across.  So I will sell the 737 pedals and machine down the 747 pedal ends of the vertical links as you did in your photo.  I need 30mm total.  15mm on a side.

Coming soon - pilot and F/O rudder pedals and linkages for sale!

Thanks.

Kev

kattz

Michael, can the linkage pins that the pedals slide onto be shortened?  They seem pretty hollow?

Thanks.

Kevin

Gallie

Hello Kevin,

I had all four pins shortened by 10mm (at the end where the thread is located). They can still handle the stress/forces needed. Not sure if you can shorten them any further without loosing structural strenght. Just in case i also had a pair of new pins created (with metric thread), but i never needed them.

10mm gave me more than enough room for the pedals to fit the 50cm space of the MIP frame.
My MIP frame is 151cm wide, 51cm for the CDU bay and 50cm for both FO and CAPT pedals.
A real MIP frame is about 152.5/153cm wide.

I hope you can find someone to do the machining for you. I wasnt able to find a shop willing to do this job for me, they just thought of rediculous prices and lead times to scare me away.
I was lucky to find a retired mechanic with a small machine shop in his shed. He did all the work for me for a really great price. He also helped me by making a few rare UNF sized bolts and even shortening the trim cable drum.

You might also need to dremel a small piece of material away in order to have the full toe brake travel when the pedals are in the full FWD adjusted position. No big deal.
But this is only needed when you will also be using the adjusment (FWD/AFT with crank) mechanism. Not needed if the pedals are in a fixed position.

Hope this helps, let me know if i can help in any way.

Michael

kattz

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate