Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 11:56:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
359 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 398
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 359
Total: 359

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Level D Dash-8 Q400 Simulator

Started by andarlite, February 08, 2010, 08:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andarlite

I met a guy at a Christmas party last December that works for a company called Flight Safety that offers flight training for commercial pilots. They have a number of Level D and C simulators and this past weekend he was able to book a 3 hour slot on one of the Level D Dash-8 Q400 and he invited me out.

Flying with motion on was incredible. The visual consisted of a curved screen with what appear to be about 160 degree FOV .... height of the screen was 9 ft. The scenery was believe it not, Goggle Earth with some 3D objects thrown in. One thing I didn't like was that you almost had to be on top of objects before they appear. Apart from that, it was outstanding ..... total immersion. I felt more queasiness this time around initially than when I flew on Angus cockpit. During the midway point of a flight, we turn the motion off (I actually didn't even noticed ..... with the visual it was that immersive). The reason for turning the motion off was that if you crash on landing, everyone in the building would hear and feel the big thud (being just a simulator pilot I didn't want to take any chances). I also trust that the flight modeling was probably more accurate than FS9/FSX. I certainly found it more challenging to fly (although I did nail all my landings .... even did a successful landing on the Toronto Island Airport (CYTZ)). Once again, I also found the controls to be extremely stiff.... another reason to replace my CH yokes as soon as possible ... they just don't cut it.

Anyway, a very enjoyable time.

Regards,
Henry

Level D 767
FSX

Bob Reed

Thanks for sharing your great time with us...

Kennair

Thanks Henry,

It reminds us all of the level of realism we strive or hope for.  I must get around to visiting my local Flight Experience office here in Perth.  They've just started up one of those fixed base B737 simulators for the general public.  I hear its fun, although expensive, but not half as expensive as the real deal no doubt.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

ETomlin

Henry, that was great and good photos too!

Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate