Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 12:46:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
563 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 563
Total: 563

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

One for the electronics experts part II...

Started by mpl330, February 15, 2010, 08:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpl330

Hi guys,

Seeing as the FMC project is now on hold awaiting the tactile switches I have started looking at replacing the cards in the OH. I have successfully traced all the 'switches' / inputs to their respective wires on the ribbon cables and now need to do this with the LED's/outputs. My plan was to simply stick the voltage down the wire and see which LED lit up but:

a) Do OC master cards always output 5v?
b) If they do I am going to need to know what voltage the LED's will take to work out what resistors I need (and also when I am testing them to see which is which) so is it possible to work out what voltage a LED will be as I do not know as they are already in place and I can only see the soldered legs so I do not even know what colours they are?

Foolishly I already played with sticking 5v down 1 wire  :idiot: - it lit up! Then fizzed and went off in a puff of smoke so I do not want to repeat this and have to replace all the LED's!!!

It's a learning curve!
Cheers
Mike

jackpilot

I think that if you test with 2 AA batteries in serie (3V) for a few secs nothing bad should happen.
JP

Jack

Speedbird17

Hi Mike

I use one of these

http://hobbyistcentral.com/electronics/2009/05/kemo-led-tester-review/

It's easier than trying to figure out how to connect two AA in series, (kidding!)

Ralph
Ralph
London, UK
www.737-800bbj.com

Increasing Success by Lowering Expectations

jackpilot

Jack

ian@737ng.co.uk

what oh mikey........
most common LED's will be 2.2v forward voltage, so if you are using 5vdc to test, simply solder a 330ohm resistor in you positive lead.    then your LED's won't 'pop'.
and if you don't have any, give me mail and i'll send you some.
good luck.....   ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

mpl330

Thanks again chaps!
I obviously had a stupid moment and just stuck 5v down the wire - just as I did so I remembered about the resistors (they dont use them with the fsbus cards for some reason)...
I thought I read somewhere that different colours may use different voltages - is that likely to be the case - in the OH there are green, blue and amber...

I'll give it a try with a 330...

Thanks again
Mike

ian@737ng.co.uk

hi mike.......
depends on the exact LED.   u can get LED's 1.7v thru 2.7v, but me and Mr Ohm sort of worked out that 330ohm was a good safe value.    i actually use as low as 220ohm if the LED seems a bit dim.   i have been known to go down to a 180 (i'm a little devil aren't i).
good luck matey....
regards ... ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

jackpilot

Quote from: ian@737ng.co.uk on February 18, 2010, 09:14:02 AM
  i have been known to go down to a 180  ... ian

Jack

mpl330

:D always living life on the edge Mr S!
Will give it a try - few little presents have been arriving in the post:
new glue gun
some connectors for the ribbon cables
and an AFT OH from Jakub in Poland - quick turn around on that one and he was on the ball for checking I received it ok (typically the UK couriers tried to deliver and took it back to the depot but never left a card  >:(

One of these days I will fly this thing!!!
Cheers
Mike

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate