Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 09:13:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
363 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 381
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 363
Total: 363

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Is the use of REAL panels practical?

Started by XOrionFE, February 17, 2010, 04:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Hello all,

As my sim build progresses I am getting closer and closer to the tough decision about how to do the overhead (737).     Last week I picked up a second beautiful captains side weber seat from Nick at APHS as well as a 737 overhead frame including all of the lower switches and center panel, korries, and switches.  It is absolutely gorgeous and the feeling you get from actual switches with the nice weathered and used look is IMHO beyond compare.     See photos below....

My dilema is that I happen to be in a unique situation to many in that I am only about 20 minutes from APHS's stockpile and whenever I go visit Nick I can practically cherry pick the component panels for the overhead in person.   I figure I could spend money on each authentic piece over time or I could go the Engravity or Open Cockpits route and fit those panels to my actual frame.     I think I would prefer the real deal but am concerned about the difficulty in interfacing the parts.   Switches are switches of course and if I can get to them by removing the back housings of panels then obviously not to hard to wire them up.   I dont know much about the korry lights except that I believe they are 28volt.   I dont know if possible to change out bulbs for 12 volt nor how much power I would need to drive them.   Finally, could I replace guages with Flight Illusion (or even somehow make the guages work with my own servos?).   Seems many have tackled these issues before and I am soliciting opinions and insight.   

Thank you,
Scott
PS - More detail can be seen here... http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionsbelt

jackpilot

Mike will answer that one.
My own experience: I managed to incorporate aerospace components in my pedestal and they all light up and click ( the INS is not computer interfaced though)
The overhead might be trickier, unless you go for the early series with gauges for the elec and pressure panels.

Jack

Boeing Skunk Works

It is definitely do-able. My 727's living proof.

You can change out the 28VDC bulbs for 5VDC bulbs but they are very expensive (roughly $.90 each, cheaper if you buy in bulk) as a whole. If you figure four lamps per Korry, and multiply that by whatever a 737 uses in the overhead...you get the picture. Plus, the current consumption is going to be much higher that using LED's. You can replace the 387's with LED's but the voltage requirement remains the same. 12, 24, or 28 VDC.

In a 727, there are few to none of the traditional 1/2"x1" Chromalux 318 indicator. Most are the round type and most are activated my throwing a switch that directly controls the indicator. A few exceptions are the window heat overheat indicators that would of course illuminate under an overheat condition and trip off the window heat altogether. Duct overtemp is another and the anti-ice system has indicators that cycle when the valves open and close. Not hard to do with the correct logic circuits (since this aircraft is unsupported).

My point is, a 737 simulator using real equipment would be a lot easier to interface electrically with output cards than my 727. All you need is a bulb swap for the correct voltage and a high enough source of current. If you compare the costs of the real equipment and a bulb swap with what aftermarket panels cost, you might come out even or even ahead over the aftermarket parts.

You'll also have the satisfaction of knowing your equipment came out of a real bird and not someone's workshop.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

XOrionFE

Thank you for that explanation Michael and really good info on the bulbs.    I guess the korries are the main decison point right now so I will work on some of those I have already in the overhead and see what it takes.   Maybe I will then just buy one real panel to mess with and take it from there.    I could and probably will have to mix some in (like the electrical panel which may be best purchased from FDS for example).    I know one thing....everytime I am at APHS and see one of those 727 panels sitting there with all the lights and switches and wear and tear it is like touching history and really fantastic.  That to me is what makes your simulator so unique and cool and is ultimately what I would love to have accomplished in the 737.

Boeing Skunk Works

I get that same feeling. I didn't repaint any of my panels and they are as-removed and look that same as they would have come out of a beat up 30 or 40 year old aircraft. Most are in pretty good shape though. One is brand spanking new and that's my engine start panel. Never installed into an aircraft.

The yoke I bought from Nick is from a 727 that he used to regularly fly. There's a definite connection there.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate