Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 04:32:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
576 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 585
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 576
Total: 576

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Backlighting the Opencockpits MCP

Started by Kennair, March 02, 2010, 05:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kennair

I finally got around to backlighting my OC MCP with outstanding results (I think).  Just thought I'd share a couple of pix for those who also own this great piece of hardware.  The obvious advantage of the OC version is the price however the major drawback has always been the lack of backlighting. After much searching and experimenting I devised a method of which I am very pleased.  A tutorial for interested builders is available in the download section of this site or HERE

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Bob Reed

WOW!! THat looks great. I am looking forward to seeing the tutorial of how you did that!

Kennair

Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Bob Reed

THat is a nice tutorial sir!! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Trevor Hale

Thanks Ken.. you rock.. looks awesome.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

fordgt40

It would be even better if mere mortals like me had the access priveledges to view it!!

Bob Reed

Quote from: fordgt40 on March 02, 2010, 09:42:50 AM
It would be even better if mere mortals like me had the access priveledges to view it!!

You should be able to see it now.. Sorry about that..

DarrylH

gpawood

Excellent work and a very nice tutorial.
thanks,
tommie c

when acting as a wave

Very nice work and an absolutely fantastic tutorial!

Did you grind down the top of the LEDs to better disperse the lighting? Would (or did) this buy you any more space?

Either way, that's a really great result. Excellent work!

Dean.
Ruscool Electronics Limited
Manufacturer of backlit panels and other parts
Ruscool Blog

Kennair

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Dean, no I didn't do anything to the LED's apart from bending them at right angle so they point toward the faceplate.  If you use 3mm LED's of this brightness (15000mcd) there's plenty of room to fit them and heaps of brightness.  You can even use 5mm but they come very close to the faceplate and so don't disperse the light as well.

In fact I found them pre-wired complete with resistor on ebay from the same Chinese site I bought mine for those not wanting to wire up tons of twin flex.

Cheers,

Ken.

jackpilot

Quote from: Kennair on March 04, 2010, 02:02:29 PM

In fact I found them pre-wired complete with resistor on ebay from the same Chinese site I bought mine for those not wanting to wire up tons of twin flex.

Hi Ken
Super job!
I used for a long time the Aerosoft MCP and remember the frustration of no backlighting on that otherwise perfect piece of hardware.
Who is your Chinese source ?
I need those Leds to backlight  my Overhead (next project)

Jack

bussgarfield

Ken,

I have been away for a few days and am now catching up on the forums so I hope I am not to late in replying.

I too own an OC MCP and was wondering how to achieve the backlighting. It is strange that all of the other OC products that I have purchased have the backlighting pre-installed.
You have got me out of a big hole with this one and the tutorial is very well put together - well done.

One question though. I am not the worlds greatest electrician and as I am currently (no pun intended) wiring up LED's for my overhead annunciators, I am using a 5 volts supply with a 330 or 220 ohm resistor depending on whether a diode is needed. You state that you are using 12 volts. Are you able to do this as you have wired them in series or is it the size of resistors.
Your system obviously works but I can't quite get my head around the higher voltage.
Sorry to be a pain.

Great work though.

Gary
Gary Buss
Intel E8500, EVGA NF780i mobo, 8 GB DDR2 ram, 500GB SATA2 HD, TH2Go, 3 X NVIDIA GF9800 GT 512mb GPU's, 780W PSU, Vista 64 home, 3 X HANNS-G 22" monitors.
Running - FSX, FSUIPC/WideFS, FSX Booster, FSXpand, SIOC and numerous add on aircraft and utilities.

Kennair

Jack here is the ebay site to get great bargains on individual and pre-wired LED's.  There are many others sites also of course.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/20-x-White-LED-Lamp-Light-Set-20cm-Pre-Wired-5mm-12V-DC_W0QQitemZ280411183486QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Railways?hash=item4149cf197e

Gary no need to be an electronics wizard when you have the following site to do all the calculations for you.  Just punch in the relevant figures and it'll do the whole circuit diagram and resistor values for you.

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

Cheers,

Ken.

jackpilot

Thanks Ken
As I have not yet really started interfacing my present sim (#2) I did not have a serious look at this. Plus the fact that my MIP, pedestal and Overhead are of the previous generation (backlightable)..
So there is a lot to learn here!
Prewired Leds is definitely a big +.
Thanks again.
JP

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate