Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:07:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
347 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 360
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 347
Total: 347

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Windscreen/windshield Wipers

Started by egkkman, January 16, 2019, 04:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

egkkman

Hi all,

I have a home built 737 cockpit which I am refurbishing/updating.

I'd like to add working windscreen/windshield wipers but have not been able to find a way. I use Prosim 737 but I don't need the wipers to work via Prosim.

I have investigated using dc motors and servos. The nearest I've got is finding an Arduino sketch to make a servo sweep back and forth but it's not ideal.

Has anyone done this and can share how it was done or have any ideas?

Thanks a lot

Dave

bernard S

lololololol  supet cool ...  yes i did this    ... dont do it .. why   ?

A...I use all real aircraft parts so i can only give you my two cents

If using real.wipers etc   you need the two  motors ..no big deal ..thatd not the kicker .. then yiu will need to plumb them to water liquid reservoirs    again no big deal .. then they will need to rub against the glass   again no biggie   .. the biggies are if no liquid they will scratch up your glass   .. and where does the liquid go with out iy getting all over yiur out the window view   .. then if yiu do go down this rabbit hole   you  may as well add window heat and foot warmers

here is solution   ... use just the morors only wired to your switches  this way you get  the cool sound   without the grief and your software should give you the wiper blade motion

egkkman

Thanks for your reply Bernard.

I was not planning to have water, just the wipers. I am going to make false wipers out of balsa wood and they won't touch the glass, just sweep back and forth.

Regards

Dave

blueskydriver

Thought about this a few years ago and how cool would it be to have a double pain windshield that is just millimeters apart, and then in between would be the wiper arm, the blade, as well as some water sprayer/mist tubing surrounding the perimeter.

Thus, it would be a self contained, encased, recycling rain effects windshield. The water and flow (psi) would be coming from small external storage tanks, with the wiper arms being controlled by large RC motors of sorts, yet keeping them away from the water. The side windows would just be rain water only.

Regarding the double pane glass and looking through it, I don't think it would be much different from looking through the real windshields. They're pretty thick in design...look at this:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=GENUINE+BOEING+747-400+FULL+COCKPIT+WINDOW+SET+%286+Windows%29&_sacat=0

Note: Hey Bernard, if you do not have these yet, here is your chance...lol!

Otherwise, back to Dave's idea, if we think about this concept of real wiper motion with water/rain spray, just imagine how much that would add to the flight sim experience. Additionally, it's already being done virtually through add-ons for the desktop pilots, so why not try doing it for the full size sim pilots?

Look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvhydZHZ9cg

Yes, it sounds kind of crazy, not really needed, hard to do, like going off the deep end, and so on; however, think about some of the other "crazy and not really needed" items that have been made, once someone does it, we wonder how we ever lived without it... :idiot:

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

bernard S

@ john     already have full window set thanks

Joe Lavery

Bernard, why don't you just list the things you don't have, from what I gather that would be a very short list....  :angel: ;) 8)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

RayS

I am installing working wipers in my sim, and this is a great idea!
Ray Sotkiewicz

blueskydriver

Hey Joe,

I am going to send you the wiper anyway, by what's being discussed, making 3D printable ones would be well worth doing now...  :idiot:

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Joe Lavery

Okay John,

I'll get the stl back to you as soon as it arrives.  ;D
What is the largest size you can print, that will determine how I construct the 3D model.

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

bernard S

@ joe    re the sim i have it all and its all real including nose gear landing light 😉 now for  sms  (console)  i still need x1 red phone or a batphone would be cool

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate