Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 05:13:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
489 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 499
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 489
Total: 489

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Open Cockpits interface hardware- Kit or Built?

Started by ETomlin, December 01, 2009, 03:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ETomlin

Im contemplating checking out the Open Cockpits hardware. Ive heard that the documentation is scarce at best, but my understanding is that they are excellent products that work well.

My question is, since I could order 2 Master cards (144 inputs) as KITS for less than the price of 1 Master card (72 inputs) that comes built and tested, which route would you guys suggest that have actually used these products or know first hand?

From the photo it looks like the terminal blocks and other parts are snap-in with several resistors to solder on. Thoughts, suggestions?
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

TomR

Quote from: ETomlin on December 01, 2009, 03:20:12 AM
Im contemplating checking out the Open Cockpits hardware. Ive heard that the documentation is scarce at best, but my understanding is that they are excellent products that work well.

My question is, since I could order 2 Master cards (144 inputs) as KITS for less than the price of 1 Master card (72 inputs) that comes built and tested, which route would you guys suggest that have actually used these products or know first hand?

From the photo it looks like the terminal blocks and other parts are snap-in with several resistors to solder on. Thoughts, suggestions?

Hi Eric

You need to have enough experiments with soldering.
What is not shown on the pic is there are then as well for the 72 Inputs the Diodes to solder on the PCB.
If you do it well there is no problem at all.
To connect the MaterCard I would suggest to buy then the Expansions Board because the MasterCard has a parallel Printer port for connection that doesn't work for all PC's. Is for multiple BMasterCards anyway needed.
Best Regards
Thomas Richter

XOrionFE

Eric,

I would definitely go for the prebuilt cards if you do this.   I would also get the USB Expansion card as Thomas suggests which will allow you to connect up to two additional Master cards later if you choose all off one USB port.     You may also want to get a couple of the breakout boards if you want screw in terminals for all the inputs and outputs.  That makes it much easier.   Still fairly inexpensive overall compared to others.

ETomlin

Thanks guys, you confirmed my fears ;-)

I also appreciate the suggestion about the breakout parts for screw terminals. I had already planned on getting the USB Expansion too.

thanks!

*EDIT*

I just did some re-calculations and have determined that the 'race' has now had the gap closed. Some of you know I have a SYS3 board from FDS and I love it. I only was looking at the OC hardware because you get 8 more inputs plus 64 additional outputs on this board over the 64 inputs of the SYS2 that Im looking at. However, by the time I add the OC breakout boards @ 17 euro each plus the power supply plus the shipping, it's the same cost to me as ordering something Im very familiar with- InterfaceIT/SYS. The ONLY plus that I see with ordering from OC is that I can order an additional Master Card when the time comes and it's not but about $90 bucks, so in that order it's a bit more expandable but I confess Im gunshy here about ordering from overseas and the scant user manual. Im not so sure which way I will go now, so we will see.

thanks for any additional thoughts.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations

Trevor Hale

Eric,

Might I just add, that If you are happy with the Sys cards from FDS that you stay with what you know.  If the gap is close, you may be better off sticking with the FDS Cards, as moving into Something different Like OC, may create some unknowns, like SIOC Programming stuff.

Anyway, my suggestion is that if you already use one, and it is close..  I would stick to the one.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

TomR

Quote from: Trevor Hale on December 01, 2009, 04:29:23 AM
Eric,

Might I just add, that If you are happy with the Sys cards from FDS that you stay with what you know.  If the gap is close, you may be better off sticking with the FDS Cards, as moving into Something different Like OC, may create some unknowns, like SIOC Programming stuff.

Anyway, my suggestion is that if you already use one, and it is close..  I would stick to the one.

Trev

I have all of those boards and working with FDS SYS2 / 3 boards I prefer. I would suggest as well FDS boards.
A second effect is that you don't need to deal with multiple programs they try to bother WideClient at the same time may be on the same PC. The less programs for hardware the less problems at all.
It is it not worth for some bugs to deal with possible problems you never would think of.
- different power sources
- different Output power
- no ground negative power on frame possible because of different electronic handling
- and and ...
What you have you know and I know what I have with FDS (OC is in a box for a low level sim may be). OC is not negative, it's just different ...
Best Regards
Thomas Richter

ETomlin

Thanks guys. Your responses are spot-on with my gut and also the approach to keeping things simple too in the regard of mixing bunches of stuff.

I really do appreciate it.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations

ETomlin

Just to follow up, my new SYS2 card will be here in the next week or so ;-)

Thanks again.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate