Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 03:57:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
22 Guests, 1 User
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 22
Total: 23

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Real 737 Tiller conversion

Started by XOrionFE, November 18, 2012, 11:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Well, it was time to get my tiller going and finally finished.   It started with me scratching my head gazing at my real tiller handle and assembly I had acquired a couple years ago from APHS.   Well, after a lot of thought I dug into it and finally done.

Here are some pictures detailing the project.

Scott

Maurice

Nicely done Scott!  I imagine the centering mechanism is your design and not what came with the original tiller, right?

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

XOrionFE

Quote from: Maurice on November 18, 2012, 12:34:42 PM
Nicely done Scott!  I imagine the centering mechanism is your design and not what came with the original tiller, right?

Maurice

Thats correct.  I cut up the housing and the pully.  Basicaly cut 3 spokes of 4 off the pully just leaving the hub and one spoke to act as a way of putting hard stops on it.   Then I added the springs and put the earplugs in them to keep the quiet (Thank you Jack for that tip in another post of his!).   Works like a charm though I have not hooked up the pot to really try it in the sim yet.   Getting closer though.

Scott

Aerosim Solutions

Hi Scott,
Snap! I have been on the same mission this week making a mechanism for the real tiller handles. I have to make four more of them this week. Well done on converting the real part, I've missed out a sale with you haha!
[smg id=599]
Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

sagrada737

Hi Scott,

Interesting modifications for your Tiller mechanism. 
Questions:
- How true to the real 737 are the centering forces?
- What is the resistance value of the potentiometer?
- Is the pot carbon or wire wound?
- What is a good source for the tiller wheel?
- Are the tillers sync'd for the pilot/co-pilot?

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

XOrionFE

Quote from: sagrada737 on November 18, 2012, 05:41:09 PM
Hi Scott,

Interesting modifications for your Tiller mechanism. 
Questions:
- How true to the real 737 are the centering forces?
I don't know how realistic because I have never tried the real on
- What is the resistance value of the potentiometer?  10k liniear taper
- Is the pot carbon or wire wound? Not sure
- What is a good source for the tiller wheel?  Airline Pilots Historical Society but probably easier to just get a replica and the mechanism fromOpencockpits

- Are the tillers sync'd for the pilot/co-pilot? Only pilot has tiller

Mike

blueskydriver

I gotta tell you, it really seems a lot of us are at the same place with our sims. I got a tiller handle last month, but had the real mechanism for years, and here I am already trying to figure out a way to go about this past weekend.

It has the two grooves for the cabling and is something like Scott's, so what he's done is perfect. I was thinking about another way before this; look at the attached pics that someone else posted a long time ago...

Thanks Scott, you've given me ideas for mine...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate