Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 01:52:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
57 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Multi-Monitor Display - Smoke and Mirrors...

Started by sagrada737, March 21, 2013, 03:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hi Guys,

I am fairly pleased with my new 3-monitor display setup using three 70" HDTVs with TH2G.  One thing that is obviously annoying are the broad black bezels that rest vertically between each monitor.  As much as I believe that the eye tends not to notice these after a while flying in the Sim - they are still quite prominent.

I thought about an idea that you might find interesting, that serves to further "wash out" the two vertical bezel bars that are somewhat high-contrast elements against the typical FSX display.  The concept shown in the two videos below is to use "angled mirrors" as Bezel Covers, that tend to give relative reflections of the display image back to the pilot's eye while flying the Sim.

Keep in mind that this is only a quick test of the concept, but I think it has merits due to its insignificant cost (a few dollars) and the fact that it does a nice job of "tricking the eye" and blending the color (hue) from the Left and Right monitors to that of the Center monitor - although clearly, the display detail within the bezel segment is mirrored and considered lost - but the eye doesn't tend to focus on such detail relative to the much larger "picture" across the entire display.

Of course, it is no where near the blended quality of a projection display, and certainly the information within the bezel cover segment is not coherent, but it does tend to produce a somewhat similar effect to the pilot's eye from within the cockpit.  This "smoke and mirror" effect is further enhanced when you consider that within an enclosed cockpit (like the FDS Cockpit Shell) you are looking out at the FSX display through "windows", whose frame has a rather hard-contrast view from the Captain and FO seats within the cockpit. 

It is this "visual contrast" with the hard line of the window frames against the relatively diffused, and set-back display image produced by FSX, that tends to trick the mind (further) into seeing a blended visual, which after a short time of concentrating on flying, makes the monitor bezels "kind of" disappear.  At that point, your mind sees the outside display for what it is - scenery happening real time relative to what is going on within the Flight Deck.

Like most things that rely on Smoke and Mirrors, it only works well within a restricted viewing area.  Fortunately, that is  exactly what we have with our Sim Cockpit environment - a restricted viewing area.

Anyway, take a look at the two videos.  The first one show a single mirror segment that is attached on the Left and Right monitor bezels, angled "into" the screen such that it "projects back" the relative image that gives the effect.

The second video shows the same effect, but using two mirror segments in a triangle shape to cover the bezel.  This serves the same purpose, but it allows you to move your head within the cockpit, with both the Cpt and FO being able to enjoy the same visual illusion of blending the Hue (or color) between monitors.  I also included a previous video that shows what the displays look like without the Mirrored Bezel Covers.

Let me know what you think.     Mike

"Single Mirror Bezel Cover"
Bezel Cover for Multiple Monitors

"Triangle Mirror Bezel Cover"
Bezel Test - Triangle shape

Previous video showing Black Bezels - without bezel cover
LED Display OXR26

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

XOrionFE

Very innovative concept Mike!   I think it is brilliant.   Needs some tweaking but I think it is wonderful.    I am thinking of trying it here only slightly different.  I have that aluminimum tape that I guess is used for duct work (not duct tape but more like a metal tape).   If this was taped on the bezel it would not fully reflect detail but like you said, it would pickup the hues and maybe help blend.   It wouldn't have hard edges lke the mirror edges since it is a tape.   That means there should almost be no line or very small anyway between LCD and tape.  Of course still a break between monitors but pretty small.   Like you said, it may be better than the black bezel itself.   That said, my bezel is only 3/4" and I overlap the monitor edges so it is not as wide.      For me I really don't notice the bezels anyway while flying but worth a try for the sake of experiment.   Again, really an innovative idea!

Scott

sagrada737

Hi Scott,

Glad you like the idea.  I tried the aluminum tape you mentioned.  It is not reflective enough to give the effect.  It truly needs to be a "mirror quality" like surface to reflect enough information to represent the hues well enough to produce the effect.

I just tired "aluminized paper", which is available at any art store.  It is very thin and can be "folded over" sharply to create a custom triangle to cover each bezel.  This thin material is highly reflective and with the sharp radius bend at the fold, it produces little if any edge effect, greatly enhancing the illusion.

You really do need the high-reflectivity material with best screen-to-mirror angle to achieve this illusion.  The great part about the ultra-thin aluminized paper is that it can go right down onto the TV screen, making the effect almost "vertical line free".

I'll post another short video when I get this new approach setup.  This would be awesome for your 5-monitor setup!

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

iwik

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the ideas, i think its a great mod. My preference is the first video, to me its the least distracting. Can you be a bit more specific as to the tape used. Name brand, would
like to experiment myself.
Les

sagrada737

Hi Les,

This has turned out to be an interesting idea for creating an illusion to help "blend" in the transition for multiple LED type of monitors in a Sim application.  As you pointed out, all this is highly subjective, as you tended to like the first example with its single segment.

What I have found is that a single segment bezel cover works well, but only for one eye point.  If you move your position, the effect of the illusion diminishines.   After more experimentation, it seems that the triangle approach works the best for most all eye point positions, if it is formed correctly.  The optimum orientation for the triangle bezel cover is with the eyepoint facing the apex of the triangle bezel cover face-on.

As to the type of material:  What seems to work the best is a very thin mylar coated paper.  This material is available in any crafts store and is very inexpensive.  It can be "scored" (cut) on the back to allow for a very sharp bend where needed.  The idea here is to pre=position your monitors in the typical "overlap" to retain sync of the scenery, then make the bezel cover such that it only covers the bezel area.  In this regard, the mylar paper approach allows you to contact each monitor screen, thus eliminating any black lines.

Here is a final video on this concept that show a refined triangular bezel installation.
Mirror Bezel Covers

I'm sure all this is folly to some on this forum, but part of the fun with our Sims is playing around with things to get the best effect for what we want from the "sim experience".

Regards,
Mike

tennyson

Hi Guys,
I'd like to offer a small suggestion that could be of interest in this situation.

A while back, I tinkered with the idea of putting 2 x 32" high def LCD's (Samsung TV's) into specially made fames, the size of the 737 windscreen.

Whilst I've changed my ideology and have now bought a full FDS shell and going the 3 projector, wrap around screen route, the interesting thing is, that when I removed the actual screens from their bezels, there was hardly any frame on them.

The point I'm getting at here is that, if you were willing to take the bold step of taking the frames off your TV's (I just mounted all of the inputs to the back of the screen with liquid nails), you can butt them up together with practically no bezel showing at all.
I guess its a matter of taking a risk (pulling the frames off and finding a suitable way of mounting them), but after I changed my mind, I just put my screens back in the frames and am using them right now to write this reply.

Just a little food for thought,

Frank Cooper

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate