Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:41:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
469 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 498
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 469
Total: 469

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Instructor Station - Luis Gordo

ISLOGO

What is Instructor Station ?

In flight simulation, an Instructor Operator Station (IOS) is designed to assist the instructor in controlling the simulation training environment and monitoring all aspects of pilot/crew performance in the simulator. The instructor can control, via this software, all functions such as aircraft position and systems, meteorological, environmental, and situational parameters.

The Instructor Station is meant to assist Aviation Professionals, Flight Simulation Enthusiasts and Home Cockpit Builders using Microsoft® Flight Simulator (FS) 2004™, FSX™ and ESP™, Lockheed Martin Prepar3D® and X-Plane®.

The Instructor Station allows setting the aircraft on an approach to a runway of choice under any weather conditions, start-up and shutdown network computers (fully customizable), program or set aircraft system failures at any moment, calculate the amount of fuel required for a flight and load it to the aircraft, record flight performance (approaches, manoeuvres, landings, take-offs, etc.) and plot it graphically, and many other things!

Compatible with all types of aircraft! It is also a great tool for anybody who wants to control the flight simulator externally.

Many features are also available for Project Magenta users (pmSystems, Glass Cockpit, CDU/MCDU, MCP/FCU), AST & FMGS JeeHell users.

Developed by a pilot, engineer & flight simulation enthusiast.

TRY THE DEMO AND ORDER YOUR LICENSE TODAY !!

Failures Tab - General: Speed & Altitude Failures Not Working

Started by richjb, March 23, 2011, 04:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richjb

Hello,

I recently purchased Instructor Station with the hopes of practicing V1 Cuts, which is an option not readily available in most add-on simulators.  After installing IS, this was the first feature that I tried. It has not worked. 

FSUIPC is connected.  WIDEFS is not, but I don't believe that I'm using these features.  "All Types" is selected in the "AIRCRAFT TYPE"  on the GENERAL tab.

Here are the steps that I take:

1.  Check the "FAILURE Mode ON" checkbox to enable failures.
2.  Select the "Speed" radio button
3.  Click "AT or ABOVE" to set a failure to occur at or above a set speed
4.  Enter the desired speed, usually 140 KNOTS
5.  Click on the "SET" button to change it to the amber "ARMED" button
6.  Select the appropriate engine failure, either "FAIL" or "Power Loss"

What happens is that the failure selected ("FAIL" or "Power Loss") is immediately activated on the aircraft.  The engine either fails or the power loss is initiated (limited engine response when the thrust lever is advanced). 

The same thing occurred if the "Altitude" radio button was selected instead of the "Speed" button and an "AT or ABOVE" altitude was selected.

I have attempted to use this feature in both FS9 and FSX, using both the default B737's and Add-On aircraft, e.g. Leonardo's Maddog, Tin Mouse B737.  The result is the same regardless of version or aircraft applied.   I've tried several different options on the CONTROL panel to see if a different sequence of steps worked, but nothing prevented the failure from being immediately applied to the aircraft.

At this point, I am at a loss of what additional actions to take.  Are the "Speed" and "Altitude" failure implemented?  Does "WIDEF" need to be connected? Is there something that I'm doing wrong with the setup?  I have read the manual and cannot find the issue.

Please let me know if the features are enabled and if there is something I'm doing wrong with the IS setup.

Thanks for your help!

Rich Boll
Wichita KS

luisgordo

Hi Rich,

Yes, this is a known bug in the current version of iStation, and that we are working to fix for the next one.

Here is the sequence (workaround) you need to follow to use the "Speed" and "Altitude" triggered failures:

1) Failure Mode ON - Checked
2) Select Delayed Fail radio button
3) Select the desired failures (ie. Engine Fail)
4) Select the Altitude or Speed radio button
5) Input the altitude or speed at which the failure is to occur.
6) "Arm" the failure.

Happy trainings!

Sorry for the troubles.  Again, this will be fixed in the next version.

Best regards,
Luis Gordo
Instructor Station
www.iStationGordo.com

Flight Data Recorder Mobile
http://www.istationgordo.com/instructorstation/fdr

richjb

Hello Luis,

Thank your for developing Instructor Station.  It reminds me of the days when I taught at FlightSafety on the Learjet.  ;)

I was able to use the steps that you provided to enter a delayed failure set to occur at or above an altitude.  However, I was unable to make the workaround work when a speed was entered.  The engine would always fail either when the throttles were advanced or shortly after the takeoff roll began when fail at or above an entered speed was attempted using the workaround below.

For now, setting the engine failure to occur at or above an altitude of 10 ft works pretty good.  It's a more difficult malfunction to address, especially with visual references.

I look forward to the next revision!  Once again, thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Rich Boll

kiremonger

I've recently purchased iStation for the failures support but too am having problems. I've found the following issues:

- For a speed failure you can only set something below 100kts, nothing faster. This isn't ideal as many commercial aircraft have V1 speeds faster than 100kts and it's likely you'll want to simulate a failure after V1.

- The engine fire seems to activate immediately, even if you set a speed or altitude as a trigger.

- The reset facility doesn't work as expected. Once you've had a failure it would be nice to reset within Flight Simulator. However I've not found that to be the case. For example, once the engine fire starts the only way to get rid of it is to restart the sim session.

luisgordo

Yes, we are working to solve these issues in the next version.  Note however, that the engine fire situation can not be reset since this is a Flight Simulator limitation.

Best regards,
Luis Gordo

Quote from: kiremonger on May 18, 2011, 06:26:49 AM
I've recently purchased iStation for the failures support but too am having problems. I've found the following issues:

- For a speed failure you can only set something below 100kts, nothing faster. This isn't ideal as many commercial aircraft have V1 speeds faster than 100kts and it's likely you'll want to simulate a failure after V1.

- The engine fire seems to activate immediately, even if you set a speed or altitude as a trigger.

- The reset facility doesn't work as expected. Once you've had a failure it would be nice to reset within Flight Simulator. However I've not found that to be the case. For example, once the engine fire starts the only way to get rid of it is to restart the sim session.
Instructor Station
www.iStationGordo.com

Flight Data Recorder Mobile
http://www.istationgordo.com/instructorstation/fdr

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate