Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 10:44:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
33 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 41
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Landing Lights Switches

Started by NeoMorph, October 01, 2011, 06:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeoMorph

Just a silly question but are the little bumps lit up on landing lights switches? The reason I ask is because toggle switches with the flat bar are amazingly high priced (and rarer than dodo doodoo) that I'm making my own.

If the bumps are lit, what colour are they?
If they are unlit are they just metal bumps or are they tiny glass balls?
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

jackpilot

Jack

NeoMorph

None of those links had landing light switches Jack... But the info you gave is what I needed to make my own so I'm happy. :D

So basically the little T-bar and plastic nipples increase the cost of a toggle switch by a factor of 10?  ???

Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

Bob Reed

Quote from: NeoMorph on October 01, 2011, 08:58:27 AM
None of those links had landing light switches Jack... But the info you gave is what I needed to make my own so I'm happy. :D

So basically the little T-bar and plastic nipples increase the cost of a toggle switch by a factor of 10?  ???

There is also the fact that the "bats" will not spin on the actual switches. Most toggles, if you grab the bats, they will spin. Hold the switch body and try turning the bat. You will see what I mean.

makoy

I start to make landinglight switches and realise that spinning also. I dont know what i do....trying to found flat ones or using locker lever ones?
FS9 / Posky 777 / OC cards and sioc / FreeFD / VasFMC / ProMFD / FSuipc & WideFS / 3 PCs / 3 projector / all homemade. https://www.facebook.com/MakoysB777er

saabpilot

APEM makes switches where the "bat" does not turn !
They are not highly priced either.
Check out with your switch suppliers.

Best,
Bjorn
Fly Safe - Low and slow
There are Young Pilots there are Bold Pilots but no Bold and Old Pilots.

jackpilot

Neo
I KNOW that they are not the landing type (at $100 a pop), but assuming you will not manufacture the switch itself, you will need , as Bob said,  non "turning "switches, hence the links to good quality but reasonably priced units.

Jack

NeoMorph

Damn Bob... Nice catch there.

The toggle switches I was going to use DO have the spinning effect you mentioned. I've got some APEM switches that are round bats but don't spin but they are three way instead of two.

The way around it is obviously to use flat paddle toggles like this...

I could use the same model APEM (but in on-off instead) round toggle but if the grub screw comes loose we are back to spinning T's again.

Edit: Ooops... no flat paddle switch image showing.

Oh and Jack I just thought that you had posted old links where you could get the landing lights is all. But yeah, $100 a pop is the reason I'm building my own hehe.

Edit 2: One thing against using the flat paddle switches is that they are either the tiny switches or are plastic. At least the big APEM switch can be dremelled flat for the grub screws to grip.

fordgt40

Flat bat type switches that do not rotate can be found at the following link. Scroll down to the 5000 series of switches

http://www.apem.com/toggles.html

If you use large switches they may interfere with external backlighting, if used.

David

jackpilot

Actually the best cheap source of top quality aero toggles is buying one of these which show up every odd day/week and usually go for less than $50.
The audio panels are the best bet because of the number of toggles per item.
Some examples avail now:
[ebay]140613665391[/ebay]
[ebay]390318883579[/ebay]

Both show also an interesting Rotary/pot combo (down in the middle)

Jack

Joe Lavery

A solution to the spinning toggle is to mount a small strip of aluminium between two switches. So you have essentially two pairs of switches. Somw aircraft have a bar that operates all four together so it doesn't look out of place and you can use any switches you like.

I bought the plastic tops from Simparts in Germany but I see they now sell only the metal versions, still a good price though.
http://www.simparts.de/epages/15465782.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/15465782/Products/20-0001

Just a thought if you didn't want to go to the trouble of making them.  ;)

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

jackpilot

Quote from: Joe Lavery on October 01, 2011, 06:11:03 PM
A solution to the spinning toggle is to mount a small strip of aluminium between two switches. Joe.

Works real good.
I Used that idea for my Parking Brake system.

Jack

NeoMorph

Quote from: fordgt40 on October 01, 2011, 09:57:17 AM
Flat bat type switches that do not rotate can be found at the following link. Scroll down to the 5000 series of switches

http://www.apem.com/toggles.html

If you use large switches they may interfere with external backlighting, if used.

David

Those are miniature ones... I have some of the locking version you see in the picture (really nice tbh - I tend to buy APEM when I can). I've made enlarged paddles that fit onto the existing bat of the small switches but am not happy with the finished version at the moment. I really need to get my hands on a lathe to make better ones... Might even buy a small lathe as it will help with various other things as well.

Regarding the backlighting I find that using small switches interfere more than large ones.  I'll see if I can dig out the photos I did showing how I did my backlighting. At least with the large switches you can step the switch back and it still is operable at the front.

The two bar method is a good idea if you  are simming a jet. Unfortunately they don't use them on an ATR 72.

Has anyone done any parts casting using casting resin? One of the other ways of making the parts is using Amazing Casting Putty and Amazing Casting Resin (read it in Mike Powell's book).

fordgt40

John

Each to their own. Apem do it for me and I cannot use large toggles it screws up the backlighting. Anyway, by the time you have put the lights bit on the end you cannot easily tell the difference, only perhaps the click and if you are that serious you can programme a deep click sound in sioc  :)

Regards

David

NeoMorph

I wasn't knocking the miniature switches... I was knocking my attempt at the extension. ;) I really need that darn lathe.

I've got three of the miniature locking switches for various functions (ie main battery, christmas tree etc.) that I need to make bigger. It's just annoying that I haven't got the tools to do the job at the moment.

You are 100% right about SIOC though heh... If it wasn't for that I wouldn't even TOUCH this sim.

fordgt40

John

Sorry, never intended you to think I was in defense mode, perhaps just my style :)
Get a lathe, you will not regret it, though there is a steep learning curve as with every thing in this hobby!
I used my lathe to turn aluminium cylinders to fit over the switch paddles - now they look like the larger ones :)
You can also use the lathe to make mock Dzus fasteners and centre drill switch shafts to make dual encoders etc etc

Regards

David

NeoMorph

David,

That is exactly what I want the lathe for. I have made some DZUS using a Dremel but it's hard work... with a lathe it will take half the time. I used to get A/A marks when I was at school but it's been a few years so learning curve time. I'm also going to be making some parts for my rudder pedals and throttle quadrant. Will be ordering it next Friday...

I swear that Flight Simming is like crack cocaine. Start small but the bug gets you and you end up doing more and more. I bet by this time next year I will also have a mill or a CNC setup heh. I love making my own stuff from scratch.

Aerosim Solutions

Hi guys,
I use Nikkai S-1AL locking toggle switches for my fuel valve switch products. These are high quality switches and retail for about $20 each. The toggle does not rotate and the locking pins can be ground off so the switch becomes a normal toggle - perfect for landing lights. I will be making the T Bar switch caps for these soon.

Cheers Gwyn
Aerosim Solutions
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

tennyson

John,
I just saw these over at the revolution website and thought you might be interested.

140 euro's seems a bit steep, but if you want the authenticity, who cares about money, right...........haha

http://shop.revolution-simproducts.com/product.php?id_product=53

Regards,

Frank Cooper

Bob Reed

Actually appears to be 4 switches. A set as it says. Still seems steep but better.......

jackpilot

With some patience, you can find an overhead frame with 10 feet of dzus rails, some toggles and pushbuttons, including 4 landing switches complete with the correct aero quality, (and with sheer  luck 2 cole start switches!!) for 200-300 Euros .

Jack

tennyson

I just found these over at Flight-Facsimilie in Brisbane, OZ.

Landing  Lights switch - single or pack of four.

Part Number ( FF-47) Price $8.00 AUD EA / $32.00 AUD Pack of 4. Finished

$32 for a pack of four. i'll be buying them for that price.

I just shot off an email to these guys to make sure they're still around and what products they sell. the guys are literally just down the road from me!

Frank

philb737

Good luck!
I ordered some parts from them two years ago and I'm still waiting  :huh: :( :( :( :( :( :(.
They are missing in action. :o
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

jskibo

THink I got mine from Jack if I remember right.  He ships quickly :)
Less than 4 years to retirement......

Nat Crea

Cough cough....Frank call me and Ill give you the low down on F-F

Nat

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate