Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 05:54:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
515 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 736
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 515
Total: 515

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Our King Air C90 Simulator Build

Started by when acting as a wave, February 16, 2011, 01:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

when acting as a wave

Well, this might go some way to explaining my minimal contribution around here as of late, which isn't really on I suppose, because I've learnt so much from all of the great information that's shared in this forum that the least I can do is contribute more ... !

So anyway, I thought I'd start a thread about the King Air C90 simulator that we're currently building for a customer. It's been quite the experience. We've designed and built (and still do) a lot of 737 parts for Pacific Simulators over the years, but this is our first full simulator constructed from scratch and to order.

Here's a couple of photos of the progress as per mid-January or so ...

A few bits and pieces have been added to the cockpit since these pictures were actually taken, but most of the work lately has been focused around the front end, which is finally starting to take shape.

I plan to update this thread with more details as we begin to get the various components all functioning. So far we've only had a few things working in the process of testing various circuitries out etc. (all six radios function, course and heading bugs on both sides work, lamp test all good, fuel gauges both driven okay, rudder boost system operating, LCD gauge panels all organised).

We're currently writing some code for the glareshield annunciator panel because at present not much of it from inside Flight Sim is actually usable. During this process we're also hooking up the various sounds that accompany them too (ie. having the left and right boost pump sounds separated and coming from the appropriate speakers, inverter noises, and so on)

Just a short introductory post about this project, but there'll be more to come ... and hopefully soon!

Any and all questions and/or comments welcome ...

Oh, and there's also a couple of very short videos of the working Rudder Boost System in operation and the rudder pedal movement.
The links to those are as follows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEe2JL3P7zc and also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EF34qHtXXY

Dean.

EDIT: I've altered the pictures so they don't automatically link away from the page. If you do want to see larger versions however, there's a photographic history of the build on Flickr:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/fs_atr72500/sets/72157624854747019/
Ruscool Electronics Limited
Manufacturer of backlit panels and other parts
Ruscool Blog

ETomlin

Yes, and I know that Shane along with myself really would love to have one of these babys! Very nice project.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

shaneb

Very nice Dean,   Yeah Eric is right . . would love to have one.  Still hoping that when I get the Lear finished I may not be too old to build!
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Garys

Excellent project. Look fwd to seeing the updates.

Bob Reed

HA!! I love this project! I have been following it for some time. Look close because for the most part that is what my pit needs to look like. I have watched this thing grow literally from the ground up and all I can say is what workmanship. These guys do top notch work and I will take this opportunity to once again give them a plug. http://www.ruscool.co.nz/index.html take a look and you will be amazed. I have got a lot of ideas for my sim from this project and these guys will talk to you about what they have done. A great place to do business!

when acting as a wave

Thanks for all the nice comments - reading them before work was a nice way to start the day  :)

I'll certainly be sure to update with more info as we progress further (and hopefully lift my general participation rate also ... )

Now, however, I must dash, for deadlines are approaching!

Dean.
Ruscool Blog

Kennair

Excellent work Dean (and Dad).  I started off in this hobby building a B200 so I too have a soft spot for the King Air family and like Shane, hope I'm not too old and frail to build one after the 777.  Thanks for sharing.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

MLeavy737

Looks Great!! Like the real deal :) keep it up!

Mike Leav
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

when acting as a wave

Hi all

We took a short video of the C90 this morning, as some more wiring has gone in over the past couple of days or so.

None of our I/O boards are actually connected to anything yet (in so much as they're not receiving any information), which explains the nonsensical data showing up on all of the radios at the moment. The annunciators don't know what's going on when they're not under lamp test either, so they're a little random too.

The actual annunciator code will hopefully be finalised in the next few days.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKas437B17Q

Not a very extensive update I'm afraid - I was kind of hoping that the moving pictures might make up for what I'm lacking in words ...  :)

Dean.
Ruscool Blog

Kennair

Thanks Dean that looks quite impressive.  You've obviously recovered after the shake, how's it all going?

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

when acting as a wave

Hi Ken

Thanks. Yes, we're gradually getting back up to speed again. Most of our operations are back up and running - just bit of a backlog, though our customers have been very understanding, which has helped us a lot.

Insurance for the toppled manual mill (pic below) has also now come through (our only major loss), so we're expecting that to turn up shortly as well.

We got off pretty lightly compared to others we know ...
Ruscool Blog

Kennair

Good to hear Dean, and also glad to see it hasn't dampened your spirits.  However no sooner does it happen to you than we get a repeat performance for our Japanese friends!  From a pilot's perspective it's a case of "rather be up here than down there!"

Cheers,

Ken.

when acting as a wave

It's a terrible situation in Japan - just devastating. I was pleased to see that we'd immediately sent our USAR guys over there to help out though, because Japan had been very quick to come to our aid last month, as have many countries (including 300+ of your very own policemen, of course).

It's an inspiring thing to see so many countries working together - utterly horrible circumstances, however.

Dean.
Ruscool Blog

NeoMorph

The exception to the working together is China who are demanding that their loss claims should get more money as China is a one child only society. In my mind a loss is a loss and a parent who loses a child is going to be no different no matter what race or nationality they are. It's going to be devastating...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12729443

The thing with Japan is they have hit the triple it seems... First the quake, then the tsunami and now the problems with the nuke power stations. How unlucky can you get? :(
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

Trevor Hale

Agreed, not fun at all.   Dean, Glad you guys are getting back on your feet.  I am looking forward to seeing more of your progress with this.  Especially with my new project under way.

Keep up the great work.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate