Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:37:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
132 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 132
Total: 132

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

P3Dv4 and Fly Elise.

Started by blueskydriver, February 26, 2022, 07:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Moved here because it's mainly about Fly Elise and P3Dv4.5:

Hey Trevor,

Okay, guess it's just my crazy brain not getting around this, but I'm little confused on when to use what...

So, here is what I did:

1. Used Controlling Server and Rendering Client to figure out the screen correction/calibration with a 3x1.
2. Exported the multi and single calibration files (.procalib).
3. Went back turned on Asymmetrical Frustums and Exported the ViewGroups.xml
4. Shut the Server and Client off, started Display Pro.
5. In Display Pro, right mouse clicked the large image and selected the external .procalib file I made with the server and client. First, I selected the multi.procalib and found out that's not the right one. So, I did this again and chose the one named single.procalib, which worked.
6. However, I was playing with the P3D Viewgroups.xml and didn't realize that I don't need that turned on in P3D (via right mouse clicking on the view and selecting viewgroups, then selecting Immersive Calibration Pro).
7. Finally, got what appears too be a calibrated correction going on in P3D by using the single.procalib  view like you said; although, it's based on the 3x1. I will try creating a new project and do the calibration based on the 1x1 like you mentioned.

Still, this is where I get confused, when is the ViewGroups meant too be used? On one PC with the standard 3 display outputs connected to each projector (no TH2GO or whatever). Or, just when you're running 1 main server PC and 3 client PC's, with the clients handling one projector each, and each one would handle the perspective views (left, center and right)?

Lastly, I am getting somewhere with your help, and even though I went through the manual, I need too read it further. Now that I somewhat got a better understanding, the manual will start making more sense...definitely not a coffee table read....

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

FSAddon_boss

You're scaring me now...... :o  :P
Best regards,
Francois
retired

blueskydriver

Nothing too be scared of, just fast terminology talk...lol!

Really, after reading more, it's easy-ish. In short, you deal with three programs...display pro, server and rendering client (both from calibration pro).

The server & client are what you use to get your projected images to follow the curved screen (setup), by making .procalib files. The display pro is what actually does the correction using the .procalib files that you made.

There are different types of .procalib files, multi and single types. The type you use depends on how many projectors you're using and so on, as well as whether you used some sort of camera (web or whatever type) to help when you made the setup files. Think of it as taking multiple pictures of your screen with a webcam, and then using those pictures to put virtual placement marks on them instead of putting the placement marks on the actual real screen. Then, when doing the setup part, you use the pictures as a virtual view of your screen that has these virtual marks too help line things up.

If you don't have a webcam or camera, you do it the old fashion eyeball way of looking at projected images on your real screen, and then you move the adjustment dots and lines around with your keyboard and/or mouse until it looks right. You could also breakout a laser lever and use that to help aim the dots and lines up better.

As for the ViewGroups.xml, from what I understand, it's sort of like using the multiple windows in FSX. You had too use 3 or 4 window views and each had its own set of coordinates for left, center and right. So, when you started FSX all the windows would be present and correct; whereas, one large single window would not be correctable in FSX...otherwise, that's where you'd get the distortion on the sides.

Actually, that's the problem with MSFS 2020 right now. You can only use one large window view; thus, for the center it looks fine, but the left and right views are blown out with distortion...plenty of YT videos on this.

Anyway, once you start doing this, you'll get it...lol...even for sim lifers like me, we still get flustered with things like this, but eventually get it.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

FredK

I agree with John's comments. Do not let yourself be intimidated by Fly Elise and ViewGroups.

The problem with Fly Elise is the documentation which is not very user friendly to say the least.  It is written more from the standpoint of a technical developer document as opposed to a user document. There are also many superfluous bells and whistles that further confound the issue.

What is needed is a step-by-step "quick start" guide tailored for different applications (for example, single vs. multi-computer). I have a three computer multi-channel setup.  Every time I do a screen adjustment I follow my hand-written step-by-step notes that are specific to my setup (3 pages).  I may not be getting the ultimate benefit of all the bells and whistles, but it gets me better than 99% of the way for my purposes.

I use the manual setup (as opposed to the camera setup). The hardest part I found was understanding what all the different adjustment icons do to configure the screen warping, particularly in combination with one another. None of that is really explained in the documentation. You just need to get in there and play with it all to gain experience as to how they work.  That is not rocket science though, it is just a matter of setting aside time to explore it all.  No getting around that.  There is a learning curve, but it is not insurmountable for the casual user.

Keep the faith!

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate