Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:10:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
121 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 121
Total: 121

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Cockpit Ventilation

Started by MistyBlue, August 16, 2021, 06:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MistyBlue

I'm starting to look at getting some air flowing through my sim.  Now that I have plexi windows it's getting a bit stale in the cockpit.  I found some Gasper vents off a Falcon 10 on eBay that seem to closely match the 737 eyeballs on either side of the lower MIP.  Figure I hook them up to a blower vent with a Y-adapter and connect the blower to a relay to operate with the overhead switches.

What have you all done for your cockpit ventilation?

navymustang

I did almost exactly as you mentioned. Ran vent conduit to each of the eyeballs in the cockpit, attached to a squirrel cage-style large volume blower (with filter) then relay operated it with the pack units on the 737 overhead.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

MistyBlue

Nice.  Can you share the blower you used? How is the airflow and noise?

I'm thinking of doing something like the attached from Revotech with a filter over the end. 

navymustang

I sold my 737 last year so I don't have access anymore. I bought the blower from Grainger. Noise level was just perfect.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

bernard S

my suggestion tie into.house ac if not please insulate what ever you use:-)

MistyBlue

Thanks Bernard.  Tying into house AC not an option.  The garage the sim sits in is conditioned with a mini-split, so I'm just going to keep it simple and pull in cooler ambient air from outside the sim using the fan/plenum above and hopefully that will work well enough.

jackpilot

Mike , do you have the blower part# at Grainger ?

Jack

sagrada737

Hello Jack,

I don't know if you were asking me to check out fans from Grainger...   I did take a look at what Grainger has in the way of in-line fans, and most of it is overkill in terms of CFM.

Here is what I have done for my 737 Sim for EyeBall ventilation...  I installed two 12 vdc scroll-type blowers, one on each side of the cockpit for left and right eyeball vents.  Photo below...

I control these by using one of the switches on the Overhead Panel.  This type of fan produces around 18 CFM, which I find plenty for the eyeball vent.  When ON, these fans produce a slight noise, which kind of adds to the Sim immersion, giving a sense that the Instrumentation is powered up, which is common to most aircraft.

As shown in the photo, I am using an 1.5" diameter flexible SCAT hose that routes up to the eyeball vent from each blower.

The effect while sitting in the cockpit is quite good, providing fresh air for the CA and FO, with enough force to provide a "cooling effect".   This is especially good when taking someone for a flight, as the fresh air helps to keep them from experiencing Sim sickness.

Mike

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

jackpilot

Actually I was asking "Navymustang" :D
Agreed, Grainger overkill overpriced
I use little 12V turbines also . Fine with me.

Jack

MistyBlue

Thanks for the info Mike.  That's very helpful and a much cheaper solution than what I was looking at.  Plus, the one I was looking at was something like 170 CFM.  Sounds like that might be enough to blow your wig off, haha.  Way overkill.

Joe Lavery

If you have a 3D printer and an old PC fan, this is a cheap way to add some ventilation. It's surprising how much air these PC fans can shift.

Just a thought! 8)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

MistyBlue

Quote from: Joe Lavery on August 21, 2021, 06:44:09 AMIf you have a 3D printer and an old PC fan, this is a cheap way to add some ventilation. It's surprising how much air these PC fans can shift.

Just a thought! 8)

Thanks Joe.  I do have a 3D printer and plenty of PC fans lying around.  Something to think about, although the small squirrel fans seem to be quite reasonable it may be less hassle to just buy a couple.

Got the gasper vents in from the Falcon 10 yesterday.  Almost a perfect match to the 73's I think. Looking forward to getting these babies in.

Joe Lavery

Quote from: MistyBlue on August 23, 2021, 01:29:58 PM
Quote from: Joe Lavery on August 21, 2021, 06:44:09 AMIf you have a 3D printer and an old PC fan, this is a cheap way to add some ventilation. It's surprising how much air these PC fans can shift.

Just a thought! 8)

Thanks Joe.  I do have a 3D printer and plenty of PC fans lying around.  Something to think about, although the small squirrel fans seem to be quite reasonable it may be less hassle to just buy a couple.

Ah! but then you'd have to spend REAL money. You know that's against our charter...  8)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

MistyBlue

Quote from: Joe Lavery on August 24, 2021, 02:11:12 AMAh! but then you'd have to spend REAL money. You know that's against our charter...  8)

True that.  The more I look at options, the more I think I'll take the 3D printed fan challenge on :)

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate