Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:05:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
113 Guests, 1 User
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 113
Total: 114

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Some end it - others begin

Started by FSAddon_boss, September 09, 2021, 10:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSAddon_boss

I read Kurt-Olsson's note about stopping his hobby project.
Well, on a related note..... I finally started mine after some 40 years and wanted to share it with you.

I started the flightsim hobby back in 1976 and got into the 'IT' industry because of it (worked at a newspaper at the time). I even programmed a 'landing simulator' in Assembler on an IBM mainframe around '79. After that I had EVERY PC based simulator ever published and ultimately even rolled into a professional career in the industry as self-employed add-on publisher.

But apart from a few attempts, usually limited by money and mostly by time (not to mention a spouse), I never got to build and fly a real home cockpit.

But now being retired and after 5 years of renovating this house we bought, I FINALLY started the project SERIOUSLY.... and yesterday I hooked up two old TV's and an monitor, my yoke, throttles and pedals, and my Saitek multipanel ran by SPADNext, and I

MADE MY FIRST FLIGHT WITHOUT USING THE HATSWITCH TO LOOK AROUND !

Now, I know ya'll are laughing your heads off about this post, but hey, for me it was a revelation and in spite of all the troubles still ahead, a confirmation of the urge to actually continue this until I have a working cockpit in my new mancave.

I am truly grateful for the gazillion of posts I have read over the decades from simmers who went ahead of me and shared their knowledge, and for groups like these with like-minded enthusiasts!

Francois

Best regards,
Francois
retired

Joe Lavery

Well done Francois, you have begun another chapter. But keep it flyable while you build, it will help to maintain the enthusiasm.
Best
Joe
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

sagrada737

Hello Francois, 

There's nothing quite like making the "First Flights" on your Sim setup.  Congratulations on this milestone!  The photos of your setup are great.  A reminder of how we all started.

As previously stated, try to keep your Sim flyable while you continue to build/modify various Sim systems -- and fly it as often as practical.  In addition, share the Sim with your wife and friends, as it will help to motivate you along the way.

As you have figured out, our Sims can become software intense, with both the computer systems and control software growing in complexity.  Be sure to keep your hardware/software changes well documented and be sure to backup your computer software and operating system.  A good way to do this is to create Image Disks each time you make a major change.

Best wishes with your Sim project.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

FSAddon_boss

Thanks for your cheering, Joe, Mike  :D
Best regards,
Francois
retired

fsaviator

Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate