Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:08:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
118 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 118
Total: 118

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

VHF DATA

Started by kattz, July 21, 2020, 06:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kattz

Last year, I had the opportunity to fly on a Delta B737-700. In the cockpit, there are three multi-comm radios installed. PIC and FO radios are used normally - third radio in center of pedestal is set to VHF 125.700 - DATA is displayed on the radio. I assume this is for ACARS?

737 acars pedestal.jpg

Getting ready to purchase my radios from Peter and company at FDS, and was going to add the third radio for this function. FDS radios do support the DATA function at victor 136.850. What specifically does ProSim-737 provide in this function?

Also, is the ACMS panel functionality available in the software? Looks related to ACARS?

I posted this up in the ProSim 737 forum as well, but never get answers over there.

Thanks.

Kev

mickc

I replied on Prosim forum, but you need the commercial license to run 3 RTPs.  >:(

myanezt

Really difficult to understand the Personal - Professional license Prosim strategy . Most of the commercial software companies have a professional license intended for commercial profitable use but they included almost same functionality o both editions (Xplane, P3D, etc) , so if you make money you pay the extra. But in this case Prosim looks pretty interested only to focus on the commercial market leaving us with the Lite Edition for 1300 Euros and focus new functionality targeting the $30K per license customers.

I can understand that modules like motion, control loading etc only be available on the professional version. But things like windshear, hots and hung starts, trailing edge asymmetries.. is just for the "professionals"?  On top of that, the personal Prosim Airbus 320 version includes that malfunctions....ACMS panel is just for the professionals??? wuau

FS2020 is going to change everything... Microsoft is going to eat alive the scenery, plane, toos software companies including all this 3Party functions inside their sim. They are pretty good doing that, as they did with Netscape, Nero, Elaborate Bites, etc) I think Prosim needs to re-think their casual simmers strategy...

jackpilot

Quote from: myanezt on July 22, 2020, 04:56:01 AMFS2020 is going to change everything... Microsoft is going to eat alive the scenery, plane, toos software companies including all this 3Party functions inside their sim. .

I would not bet too much money on that!  :D

Jack

myanezt

I work daily with Microsoft and I can tell you that, when MSC target something,  they are very successful growing their software marketplace demolishing the competence, same thing as Amazon does. Is pretty clear they saw a big market-share opt in the simulation arena (plane, sceneries, tools, cockpitbuilders, etc), that's why they are investing heavily on the product integrating PMDG, FSLabs? and probably QW inside the main package.... Microsoft said that they will provide offsets an integration for the sim community... Is that's true is a game changer.... lets see.

FredK

The bottom line is that Microsoft will become disenchanted very quickly if MSFS2020 does not generate revenue.  That is why they dropped interest in FSX and in Flight. The business revenue simply was not there.  So it remains to be seen.  The problem is that businesses like flight simming generate relatively very small numbers compared with the cloud server and other mainstream mega-revenues that Microsoft is involved with.  Small business become nuisances that get tossed away in big companies.  I've been there....have experienced that.

I would be feeling better if a small company like Asobo was pursuing this purely on their own.

It is lucky for us that LM had their own operational interest in FSX that kept things going with P3D.

So we need to keep our fingers crossed on all that. I do not quite fully trust MS.  The fact that they have leap-frogged beta testing may signal that they are restless about something and have lost a bit of patience.  Hopefully P3D will still be an option to fall back upon if necessary.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

kattz

Quote from: mickc on July 21, 2020, 07:07:38 PMI replied on Prosim forum, but you need the commercial license to run 3 RTPs.  >:(

Thanks, Mick!  I saw that.

Kev

KyleH

Quote from: myanezt on July 22, 2020, 10:39:39 AM.....demolishing the competence, ......

LOL. I'm pretty certain that's not what you meant to type...  ;) but gave me a good laugh.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

ame

Quote from: myanezt on July 22, 2020, 10:39:39 AMI work daily with Microsoft and I can tell you that, when MSC target something,  they are very successful growing their software marketplace demolishing the competence, same thing as Amazon does. Is pretty clear they saw a big market-share opt in the simulation arena (plane, sceneries, tools, cockpitbuilders, etc), that's why they are investing heavily on the product integrating PMDG, FSLabs? and probably QW inside the main package.... Microsoft said that they will provide offsets an integration for the sim community... Is that's true is a game changer.... lets see.

You mean "embrace, extend, extinguish".

I really hope all the fanbois won't be disappointed. Again.

https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/in-memoriam-all-the-consumer-products-microsoft-has-killed-off/7/

myanezt

Yes... but its also true that Satya Nadella changed a lot how the company approaches their business, of course cloud offering is not the same than gaming but I'm pretty sure that they have done a strong business case with FS2020 otherwise, because Microsoft DNA, they would not have invested on that.

Anyway is a good new for us that a big company like Microsoft produces simulation software having in mind that there is a big sim community and I heard they have mentioned that it will support cockpit builder community. Maybe they fail, or they will not meet the expectations, or they cancel it... in any case is good, because there is competence and competence is good for the customers.

Maybe FS2020 includes all the 737 malfunctions for 130$ that Prosim only has in the Professional version :))) Just joking

fordgt40

Quote from: myanezt on July 23, 2020, 03:39:02 AMMaybe FS2020 includes all the 737 malfunctions for 130$ that Prosim only has in the Professional version :))) Just joking

I suspect that many malfunctions will be unintended 😊

jackpilot

And they would have to offer a 737 to start with !

Jack

Joe Lavery

As it's the most popular aircraft for builders, it seems a shrewd move not to include it. Another marketing strategy... one for the first Microsoft add-on perhaps.
Unless of course they didn't want to compete with the likes of PMDG.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

kattz

I personally didn't know that there were two licenses.  I bought my license with the MIP and transferred the license.  Was still a hefty price.  Figured I got it all at that price.

Up until this very moment I didn't realize that it didn't even have features I wanted, such as failures.  I might be wrong, there may be some failures.. but for the price I expect ACARS to be modeled, even down to the EFB that some NG's are now carrying "MAX-style".  Color me stupid, I guess.

navymustang

Many sim users are totally unaware of the amount of engineering effort that goes into developing software such as Prosim. When you figure that the average engineer is making more than $75,000 USD per year, even the smallest of changes or additions, that only take a week, cost the developer thousands. And I'm not talking about the Mom and Pa shops with one or two employees.
Many folks seem to be accustomed to an aircraft addon costing $35. They can only do this for two reasons, volume sales and lack of technical detail.
We need to take into consideration that the Prosim community is a very small one and sales require high cost to make it a profitable business.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Garys

Its time for everyone to change to the 4 engine brown side. for less than $500 you get FAA approved training software for your simulator. I'm just joking of course but us 4 engine drivers have it good.

jskibo

Quote from: Garys on July 23, 2020, 03:47:39 PMIts time for everyone to change to the 4 engine brown side. for less than $500 you get FAA approved training software for your simulator. I'm just joking of course but us 4 engine drivers have it good.

A340? 😂
Less than 4 years to retirement......

jackpilot

More on the 74 side...wink winks (aero) :D

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate