Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:14:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
120 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 120
Total: 120

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Projector Installation on 6dof Motion Platform

Started by sagrada737, March 28, 2020, 06:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hello Folks,

I have completed the trim of the projector screen assembly.  The finished result will yield a 210 degree wrap around display with the three (3) Optoma GT1080HD projectors.  The screen support matrix type structure is quite robust and does a good job of keeping the projector screen stable. 

The photo below shows me climbing around on the Nose Section/screen support structure to work on the wiring harness.  This made it easy to access various areas to secure the projector wiring harness.  I was able to finish routing the HDMI cables and the 120 AC power to the Projector Platform.

For the HDMI cable requirement, I chose to use an Fiber Optic Active HDMI cable 25 ft. in length.   The fiber optic HDMI cable eliminates any electrical noise getting into the display signals.

While I am waiting for my new Optoma ZH406ST Laser projectors, I decided to install my existing projectors in order to continue with the Sim Project toward completion.   Once I get the new projectors, it will be fairly easy to swap out projectors.   One reason for this, is that I made the Projector Mounting Board such that it can "slide" fore/aft.  The forward position is the active mode, and the aft position is for projector installation/removal and maintenance.  Below are photos that show the different positions.  The projector mounting board is also foam-dampened to help reduce shock and vibration to the projectors.  The new laser projectors will be largely immune to this.

After getting all the projectors installed and wired, I connected the P3D Sim Computer to test the projector display.  All projectors started correctly and the existing calibration was almost perfect, except for the Center Projector.  I will need to perform a new warp&blend calibration, which should be fairly easy using my auto-leveling laser level.   I'll take a shot at this tomorrow.   The main consideration was the Nose Section obscuring the display, but it turned out not to be a problem.

After I complete the new screen calibration, I will next retest the 6dof Motion Platform to insure that nothing changed in its operation.  After that I will work on final placement and securing of the MIP, TQ, Rudder, and Pedestal modules.  Once these are in place, I will finalize the primary wiring system, and hopefully at that point I will be able to fly the Sim for further active testing of the Motion Platform.   If all that goes well, I will focus on finishing up the Yokes/Control Columns and cleaning up the rest of the Sim to a point where it is basically completed.   I will still need to fabricate the Aft Section (all the stuff from the Circuit Breaker Panel back to the cockpit door, but that will be a follow-on project, which should be a lot of fun.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

FredK

Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Trevor Hale

Hi Mike,

Looks really good,  Can't wait to see it operating.  The only comment I may make and it something that may or may not be a factor.  Your projectors are very close together.   The Heat Blowing out of one projector May blow into the intake of the other Projector.  You will notice after a couple hours of usage you may start getting Overheating alarms.  I know we had that issue with Sam's.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

sagrada737

Very astute observation Trevor...

Indeed, with the Optoma GT1080HD projectors in the "direct projection layout", the Central and Right projectors need a Baffle between them in order to keep the hot exhaust air from the Right projector from being sucked into the Central projector input vent ports.

In my case, I am using a thin aluminum shield to accomplish this.

As you pointed out, this can be a problem, that usually results in the Central projector flickering.   Using a deflector shield totally eliminates this problem.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Trevor Hale

Good stuff bud. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the possible issues. 

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

blueskydriver

Hey Mike,

All looks great!

Along with Trevor's observations, it might help to put a vent hole in the flat board/metal above the projectors, and add a small fan to help suck the heat away.

My projectors were in the same configurations, but no fan. Then, I had problems with the chips and pixels. After adding a fan, no more issues.  ;D

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate