Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 01:16:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
476 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 485
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 476
Total: 476

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Lear 45 build

Started by shaneb, October 18, 2009, 07:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaneb

Thanks guys . . . it has been a long road Scott   :o   . . but getting closer.   Looking forward to putting it all together at some point.  I still need to build a couple of computers , buy  a couple more I/O and relay boards from FDS then I can start the interfacing.  I think that may be a winter project. 
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

ETomlin

Quote from: XOrionFE on July 31, 2012, 06:54:44 PM
Looks awesome.  Nice work Eric.

Man, what a long way you both have come!   

No vaporware here!    :laugh: 

scott

Oh, wow guys. Thanks a lot. Shane is a great friend first and foremost, and a dream "customer" too. He's been a real help and inspiration to me and I appreciate him letting you guys know about the things he had us make him. It's been a long road and I'm just thankful to still be connected with you all and not Vapor King! It takes time to get this stuff done, but in the end it's worth it when you think about all the great relationships and fun you get to create. I can't wait to see Shane's sim in person myself!

Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

shaneb

Hey guys,

I've been quietly working on a project in the background for several weeks that hopefully will benefit the  Lear 45 builder community .  A couple years ago I was able to purchase the real interior panels out of a salvaged Lear 45 and debated for quite a while on whether I could use them as a mold to make more interior parts . . . first course of business is that I did not want to destroy/damage my real panels in the process.

So . . . a few weeks ago I started experimenting on ways to make a mold of the real panel.  First attempt with expanding foam  . . total disaster . . a waste of money  :/

Second attempt at the mold . . plastercloth and patching plaster . .  it worked!  :D

Here is a photo of the real interior panel covered with plastercloth and patching plaster waiting on a couple of layers of fiberglass to make the mold.  I had to cover the real part with plastercloth and plaster to protect the real panel while applying the fiberglass.

photo of the real part after sanding the plastercloth and patching plaster smooth and priming with gray primer . .

and after applying fiberglass to the plastercloth mold I had a mold . . this is a photo of the fiberglass mold after cleaning away the plastercloth and plaster.

I then applied primer and putty and sanded to a smooth finish . .  this is a photo of the inside of the mold with 10 coats of mold release wax . .

and a photo after the mold was sprayed with polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) . . used to cure the gelcoat and helps with the release of the part from the mold.

and here is a photo of the new interior panel . . the grey color panel on the left is the mold . . the middle panel is the real panel and the panel on the right is the new interior panel fresh from the mold.

and a closer photo of the new interior panel on the right . .  awaiting final trimming of the fiberglass strands

making the molds is quite a time consuming process as well as molding the actual part.   Molding the new part is a 4 step process . .  1) waxing the mold 10 times . . 2) spraying the PVA over the mold release wax . . 3) spraying the gelcoat . . 4) applying the fiberglass to the mold.

It is worth the effort as the final product is a very good representation of the real panel, is lightweight and flexible like the real panel and has a white gelcoat finish ready for scuff sanding and painting to the final interior color which would be left to the builder as some final fitting/sanding may be necessary to fit to the builders shell.
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

ETomlin

Freaking awesome, Shane! Wow, so good of transfer of detail. Incredible! Can't wait to buy a set one day if you are up to making a set. I know it's quite a job.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

jackpilot

You are brave Shane....this is yhe most time consuming and dusty work one can imagine!
You get the Cockpitbuilder Platinum Nut award!

Jack

shaneb

Yep . . I agree Jack . . I think I earned that award.   This is one area of parts for the Lear 45 that was not readily available . . hope to be able to change that for builders. 

jackpilot

Just a side note
I know that many trim parts are vacuum formed. An esay and less messy process once you have a mold.
May be worth enquiring if you have a shop nearby that can do it.
2¢,,,
::)

Jack

shaneb

It has been quite a while since I worked on any parts for my build but thanks to Alan and Vince (Hangar 45 Lear builders) I was motivated to refurbish the real Universal UNS-1 CDU that I purchased last year.  After seeing Alan's CDU and Vince's updates on the interface for the keyboard I decided to get to work on mine.  I completely disassembled the CDU including the glass falling out . . didn't plan on that but worked out ok.  After several hours of checking each switch to ensure they were working, checking the lighting to ensure it was working,  cleaning each button with Dawn dishwashing liquid, sanding and painting the metal housing and a small amount of masking to save the Universal white lettering at the top, cleaning and reinstalling the glass with hot glue, I had a near new looking UNS-1 CDU . .   Thanks Alan and Vince for the motivation . . I was needing that!  :D

Here is a photo of the CDU after all the work . . .

jackpilot

Nice crazy job!
You think they would all use the same format hey! would be too easy..

I have a real INS on the overhead and the feel of the keypad is special, I suppose it is the same with your CDU.
well done

Jack

shaneb

Yes . . the feel of the buttons would be hard to beat.  I love the feel of the real parts . . just have a heavier feel about them.   My weakness . . real parts!  Cost more sometimes . . and harder to interface sometimes but gives you a good feeling when you can get them to work!   :idiot:

rhysb

Shane,

Great stuff, been following this here and on hangar45 and it looks awesome!

Just sorting out my plans from Ron for my shell and can't wait to get cracking on it

Rhys b
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

shaneb

Hi Rhys,

Keep us updated on your shell progress . . . always fun watching a new build get started!    I've been busy working on replica interior panels for the Lear 45 and that has slowed the progress on my build.  Maybe this year I will be able to get back to work on parts for my build!   :D

shaneb

Wow . . it has been over a year since I have added any updates to my build so I think it is time I done some updates.  Over the past year I completely took my build apart to do a few modifications. One big modification that I completed was installing real control columns from a Lear 35 . . had to do a few modifications but I am very satisfied . . as most of you know I really enjoy using real parts if possible . 

After completing that task I started reassembly of the interior . . at this point I have the TQ pedestal and MIP tower installed . .hopefully for the last time!  I also installed the MIP and upper MIP/Glare panel and started the wiring process.  Here are a few photos of the progress . . 

I also worked on the Trim switch panel that is located on the center pedestal.  Last year I found the real trim switch so had to install it and while working on installing the switch I started thinking about a way to make this panel function as in the real aircraft . . think I found a way with a DPDT switch but more on that later once I am sure it will work.   Here are a few photos of the trim panel . . .

jackpilot

Jack

N737AG

Awesome job Shane.

You'll have a lot of people (myself included) lining up to fly her.

Axel

Nat Crea

Wow...wow and freaking wow!

Absolutely gorgeous Sim Shane.

Nat

Aerosim Solutions

ABSOLUTELY SIMSATIONAL!!! You will have to tie it to the ground!!
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

shaneb

Almost a year and ten months I started a side project to my Lear 45 build.  I was able to get the real interior panels out of a Lear 45 a few years back and I made molds of them using fiberglass.  I started this project to be able to provide replica interior panels for Lear 45 builders over at Hangar45.  I didn't anticipate it taking me this long but finally I completed the molds this weekend and am now ready to do a test run to see if I can successfully mold the replica panels.   Here are a few photos of the molds with ten coats of mold release wax on them.  Next step will be spraying them down with polyvinyl alcohol (hairspray), then a couple coats of white gelcoat, then lay up the fiberglass.  That will all wait till later . . currently waiting on supplies from Jamestown Distributors . . .  :idiot:

shaneb

Here are a few updates to my build . . finally was able to purchase the computer parts I needed for the main flight sim computer and a couple of photos of the sim . . .

A list of components in my build:   Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

I was able to get some of my interior panels back in the build after finishing up the interior molds . . .

A few of the panels in the center pedestal .. waiting to be wired in.  Also I've added the switch bezels that Ron Rollo made for the engine start panel . . a nice finishing touch to that panel!

Trevor Hale

OMG Shane. That's awesome. Don't know where you have been but I sure as heck know what you have been doing.

Man looks incredible.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

shaneb

Four months since my last update . . .  but I have been making progress.   During this time I built an instructor station to house the 2 computers (later will be three). I also have the two Davtron clocks online, and several smaller areas finished that needed a little attention.

Instructor station at rear of shell:

Photos of interior lighting:

Trevor Hale

Jaw Drop!  Frig that looks awesome.  Don't wait so long for the next update.  Man it is Beautiful.
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

shaneb

Thanks Trev. . . my full time job been keeping me busy.  It has been nice to finally get some flights in with the new sim.

jackpilot

Take good care of yourself in that full time job  ::)

We need you here for more "Jaw Drop" sessions.
What soft are you using (maybe you told but I forgot...old age)

Amazing!
Jack :D

Jack

Trevor Hale

I think he is using flightdecksoft. Jet 45 software.
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate