Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:22:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
137 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 179
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 137
Total: 137

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Lear 45 build

Started by shaneb, October 18, 2009, 07:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaneb

Yep Jack . .Trev is right . .  I am using Flightdecksoft JET45 software.  Flightdecksoft is currently working on software for the UNS1 CDU . . so hopefully this year I will be able to make use of the real UNS1 CDU I found a couple years ago.   
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Trevor Hale

Shane, it really is great to see you back here.  its been a long time.  Keep up the great updates.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

shaneb

Hey guys,

May 01, 2009 I officially started building a Lear 45 sim build number L45-007. . .  6 YEARS later and I am close to completion.  I would say that the project is close to 85% complete.   As of this date I need to install a third computer to run the JET45 CDU software,  install Audio panels once they are developed . . and purchase 2 more 60 inch TV's to finish my outside visual.   So far everything is working good. 

Here are the latest photos of my build . . .

Windscreens installed . .

Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Bob Reed

Yup.. Still looks great Shane! Good to see you here! How have you been?

RayS

Holy Crapwow!

She looks beautiful!
Ray Sotkiewicz

XOrionFE

Shane, I must say you have truly realized the dream we all shared so many years ago.   I know there are many involved in getting the lear this far including Eric Tomlin, Ron Rollo, Vince Cimmino, Tom Goldberg, and the list goes on  and I'm sure I am missing a few.   That said, nobody has dedicated quite the time and dedication you have to getting this plane done and replicated to the level you have.   It looks so much like the Lear45 I took all those pictures of years ago that we all shared around...it is scary.   Even your cabin side with the nicely finished wood as you enter the cockpit is just gorgeous.    All I can say is NICE WORK!   I am sure our old friend Kris Stow is looking down from heaven smiling at your results as well.

One day I would like to come visit you and step into this wonder of home builder ingenuity.

Best regards,
Scott

shaneb

Thanks guys,

Hey Scott . .

Yes it has been quite a few years when we started down this path! A lot of work by quite a few people to supply parts for an aircraft that was unsupported at the time.  It is amazing how much time I spent looking at the photos you provided of the real Lear and just as amazing how much information was gained from those photos.  In fact I utilized those photos this week to get the compass card information so I could duplicate the card. 

In other news, Jason is close to releasing the software for the CDU . .  so I will finally be able to use the real Universal UNS1 CDU I found a few years back.  Took me a while to figure out how to interface it but that is all worked out now.   

It is hard to believe that 6 years ago I did not know what FSUIPC was! In fact I knew very little about computers, interfacing, programming or wiring switches . . building a flight simulator has been one of the best learning experiences I could have.  Not to mention all the great people I have met!  I sure wish Kris could have seen the progress.  I bought a few pieces from Kris' wife after he passed so there is a part of Kris' build in mine . . so I guess in a way Kris' dream is still going as well. 

Shane

jackpilot

Jack

shaneb

It has been a while since I updated my build thread here at CB . . since the last update I have installed the beta version of FLIGHT DECK SOFT's JET45 CDU software and am using it with a real Universal Avionics UNS-1 CDU.  I replaced the CRT with a 5 inch LCD screen and interfaced the keypad using a Hagstrom board.  Nothing like using real parts . . you can't beat the feel.  The JET45 CDU software also has an updateable AIRAC cycle thru Navigraph which makes it easy to stay up to date. 

I have also added an Ipad mini running the FOREFLIGHT app.  The Ipad mini is mounted to the chartholders on the yokes by a Ram mount for the Ipad.  This was also a nice addition to my build. 

Stick shakers were also added in after I replaced my first set of pvc control columns with real control columns out of a Lear 25/35.  I have them working with 24v and you definitely know it if they activate.  I've scared myself a few times not paying attention . .  kinda embarrassing    :o

As you can see I have finally reached a point in my build where I can fly more than build . . but I still have a few small areas to finish out and I marked one of those small areas off the list.  This weekend I finally had a chance to make a mold of the mounting bracket for the cup holder that is mounted on the middle interior panel.

I had one real one that I could use to make the mold.  The mounting bracket is needed on the real panels due to the curves in the interior panel. The bracket allows the cup holder to mount flush with the panel. Here are a few photos of the final result.

F/O side . .

Capt. side  with a cup for your viewing pleasure . .  and no I'm not a paid sponsor of Burger King . .

Also a photo of the  JET45 CDU  running with an updated AIRAC cycle for February 2016 . .  looks like I was a little shaky with the camera . .

and a few other interior photos . .

Trevor Hale

Beautiful!  Thats awesome.  Great Job.  Would love to fly that one :)
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

jackpilot

Jack

727737Nut

Looking awesome Shane!!
737 Junkie

shaneb

Hey guys,

Let me bring you up to date on my build.  A couple months ago I started working on my visual system.  I've chosen three 70 inch TV's for my outside visuals.  Going this route I needed a base to mount the TV's.  I wanted something that appeared to be a part of the build. With that in mind I built a rolling TV stand that is U shaped and fits around the front and sides of the shell and conforms to the contours found on the sides of the shell.  I covered the stand with carpet to give a finished appearance.

Here are a few photos of the progress:

Early stages of the build . . I built the stand in 3 sections so I can move the pieces into position around the sim and easier transport if I ever have the need to move the sim.  The three pieces are bolted together once in place around the sim.

I left an opening in the front stand to be able to access the avionics area in the nose of the shell. At the bottom of the opening I added foam padding covered with carpet . . . much easier on the knees when working in the avionics bay of the shell . . .

A couple of photos demonstrating how the stand contours to the curves of the shell.

One TV mounted . . two to go . .

I fabricated six mounting brackets out of  3/4 inch tubing.  Two stands are used on each TV.

Four TV mounting brackets and two 70 inch TV's ready to be mounted to the stands. Takes two people so will have to convince the wife to help me . . .   :D

Reference photo showing the front left corner of the visual system. . .

I can rotate the back upper wall section out to gain access to the windscreens for cleaning . . .

A few photos of the Universal Avionics UNS-1 CDU running FlightDeckSoft CDU software and the DU'S and RMU's running FlightDeckSoft JET45 software . . .

Nat Crea

Beautiful looking Sim Shane!

Nat

jackpilot

Def a member of the "perfectionist Club"!!

:D

Hey shane ...a video ??

Jack

XOrionFE

Wow Shane

That is really incredible.    Knowing back how this lear project all started you have really taken it beyond anyone's wildest dreams.   I would love to come visit and see it in person some time.

Scott

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate