Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 07:04:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
581 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 595
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 581
Total: 581

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Hello World - 737NG Project

Started by sagrada737, November 18, 2012, 11:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum and new to simulators.  I have built and flown helicopter and high performance fixed wing experimental aircraft, and now want to construct a full scale 737NG simulator for personal use.   Although unrelated to this forum, I also enjoy designing and building robotic telescopes and observatory systems.   

My main interests center around designing and building all kinds of electro-mechanical things.  I have a small but fairly complete workshop that includes CAD/CAM CNC machining capability that allows for precision for any small complex parts that might be required for a sim project. 

The idea of a 737NG simulator project represents a nice challenge for the next year or two that I am budgeting for such a project.  I am in the research phase now putting together a project strategy for build/buying the various parts/systems for the 737NG sim project.   I would like to actually begin this project in February 2013.  I will use FSX with either ProSim or Sim-Avionics, with sub-modules from FDS, CPFlight and other suppliers.  Advice regarding vendors would be helpfl.

I am currently considering buying FDS's MIP package to help get the baseline 737NG  project off to a easier start.   That said, I am anxious to hand wire and fabricate other major systems as needed - the Overhead Panel would be a good example of this challenge.  Building a realistic cockpit environment is my desire and a challenge that I am up for.  I plan on starting out with a multiple monitor outside display, but would like to finish up with a 180 deg + wrap around display.

Any comments on these ideas are appreciated.

Keep your airspeed up!
Mike Sherick
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

XOrionFE

Welcome Mike!

Glad you found us.  Lots of helpful folks here and your off to a great start.    I am sure we will all love to learn from you and your experience as well.

Best Regards,
Scott

sagrada737

Thanks for the welcome Scott.  I am starting to learn my way around this forum.  Looks like some nice folks, some good projects, and lots of great discussion.  When I am able, I will try to be a good steward to the group and contribute as I am able.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

blueskydriver

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Cockpit Builders flight line! From the sounds of your first post, you'll fit right in... Here is my first tip I tell every new person; go visit someone who has a sim now. You will gain the most invaluable insight from that experience. And, as I have said before, I believe any one of us would welcome new builders in too see our setups...

In fact, I think it's time a location map is made as to all builders who would volunteer to show and/or let other people, who are just starting out, come visit for an overview, as well as a short flight. I will start a new post on this...

Anyway, you're welcome to come visit my wife and I.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

sagrada737

Thanks for the welcome John.  It's good to be part of this interesting and creative group of sim builders.

I appreciate your comments on the benefits of seeing sim projects in person and discussing details when you can see and operate the hardware, etc.  I would very much like to visit you and see your setup sometime soon.  Perhaps I can plan a trip from New Mexico up your way to visit you and Scott, and also a trip to to Flight Deck Solutions while I'm in the general area.  Actually, I was in Madison this time last year for training on my Tormach PCNC milling machine beautiful area of the county.  In any case, I greatly appreciate your openness and hospitality.

Good idea on a location map for all sim builders.  This is the kind of community that greatly benefits from cooperative communication on the myriad of building issues related to a complex simulator project.  That could be a nice part of this Forum, since most everyone is already registered.

737NG TQ question for you and/or

I would like to take a shot at building this system myself, since it looks interesting and has some complex geometry.

- Are there specific dimensions for this system located somewhere?
- Does the TQ interface directly and only to FSX?
- What are the list of functions required of the TQ, and how are they interfaced to software and hardware?
- What are the value of the required slider potentiometers and their usage?
- If there is an interface hardware module required, what is it?
- What is the relationship to FSX with the Yoke trim function vs. manual trim vs. motorized trim?
- What functions need to be automated if "motorized" capability is desired?

Or...  Should I just skip the idea and purchase the Flight Simulator Center version shown on their site:
http://www.flightsimulatorcenter.com/Product.aspx?lang=ENG&ID=874a2737-1ce7-4c64-a8aa-bccb4b2bd768&CODE=910005
This version looks very nicely done and the price point at 2,500Eu is not too expensive for such a complex system.

Comments appreciated.

Keep your airspeed up!
Mike

XOrionFE

Mike,

I highly recommend picking up a copy of Bill Bulfer's 737NG Cockpit Companion as it is a great reference for a lot of the functions in the cockpit of the 737 and answers a lot of questions.  Flightdeck Solutions sells them and there is also now an iPad version if you prefer that just came out.

Also, I find that the PMDG 737 for FSX loaded on a desktop sim is also extremely helpful in using while learning systems until you get your fll size complete.

Starting out with a full MIP from FDS is a great way to start also.

Scott

sagrada737

Thanks for the information Scott.  I'll load up the Cockpit Companion on my iPad and begin further exploring - it's loading now, but it seems to be taking an long time - must be a rather large document/app.

I have just purchased FSX and will follow your lead to get PMDG so I can play around with the 737NG environment.  I'm also looking into the specs for the FSX computer.  Peter Cos at FDS indicated that this needs to be a fairly powerful/fast computer system for a full scale 737NG simulator to function properly.  Secondary computers for the sim app eg. Sim-Avionics or ProSim can be more of a standard PC.  I assume that you concurr with this approach.

Thanks again for the affirmation on FDS's MIP package as a way to bootstrap my 737NG sim project.  I'll give you a shout later this evening.

Keep your airspeed up!
Mike

jetpilot

Hi Mike and welcome,
In my opinion I would recommended you to take a peak on the real TQ. With all your skills I belive it is going to be a great approach for you. Scott have a real one, I have a real one. I have not started the interfacing yet but I believe nothing beats the real one
Roberto C

sagrada737

Thank you for the welcome Roberto.  It is good to be in the company of folks designing and building simulators.  I hope to learn much before I begin my own 737NG sim project early next year.

I appreciate your advice on obtaining a real 737 TQ for subsequent modifications for use in a simulator.

Questions:
- Is there a section of this Forum that specifically speaks to the task of modifying a real 737 Throttle Quadrant?
- What components are necessary for such TQ modifications, and what electronics and/or controllers might be necessary?
- Are you planning on making your TQ motorized?  And if so, what type of motors and controllers are you going to use?

Best Regards, and keep your airspeed up!
Mike

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate