Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:37:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
142 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 179
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 142
Total: 142

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Projectors

Started by FSAddon_boss, February 21, 2022, 02:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSAddon_boss

Yes, I know about the Optoma's, but they are too expensive for me.
Anyone here using the Benq TH671ST short throw projectors?
Best regards,
Francois
retired

Jason L

If you are looking at 1080p did you look for any refurbished darbee 1080GTs?  They were 600-700 about 2 or 3 years ago, so probably cheaper now.

Bob Reed

I have 2 short throw BenQs but I will have to look at the model when I get home. They are older and do ok the night is not the best.

blueskydriver

Hey Francois,

Do you have the room for projectors and a screen? If yes, are you going with 2 or 3 projectors?

Just curious, why not go with large TV monitors that are much cheaper than projectors, and have a higher res?

I have a 3 projector setup which requires a lot a space; albeit, mines a B737NG and that's a given. However, if you're limited in space or you're doing a smaller sim, the larger TV monitors would work better.

Lastly, are you able to travel and if so, how about asking around for other builders near you with projectors and/or monitors? Seeing both setups before you choose would really help....

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

FSAddon_boss

Unfortunately Italy is not the US, and all these sort of things are not as readily available as over yonder. Importing stuff from outside the EU is also prohibitively expensive, so am tied to what is available in Europe-

I don't know of people around here building cockpits. We live out in the boonies (on purpose) and folks around here all have tractors, but no PC's.  :laugh:

The reason I am looking for projectors versus monitors is that I want to look out of the side window and DOWN and see the world..... I am a VFR pilot, which I guess poses different desires than just watching at the clouds or at a runway from a 737 cockpit.

It is the immersion I am looking for. With monitors (from what I have seen from various posts and YouTubes) you can only achieve this partially. To have them ' surround'  you, you'd need a very small cockpit. Mine is over 4 feet wide.....
Best regards,
Francois
retired

Bob Reed

Mine are MW814STs They are older units.

blueskydriver

Totally understand about accessibility and costs, but aren't there any big box type stores within driving distance where you could check things out?

Here's why? If you go with projectors you need room and if you got that great, if not that's where monitors come into play. No matter which way you go you'll still see the room or floor outside the cockpit. Unless, the image is projected from the floor to ceiling. But, you need distance from the screen in order too get that.

With monitors they can be mighty close to the cockpit and you might not see anything above or below them. With you going with a smaller cockpit it may benefit you more and that is why I suggest that.

However, that is also why I suggest finding other builders in Italy; they're out there, just gotta find them and plan a visit. Knowingly, that's a hard task, but if you've never sat in a sim with either projectors or multiple large tv/monitor screens your choice will be skewed from just watching YT videos.

As you mentioned in previous posts, funding is a drawback, so I'm just trying to help you save money by making the best choice possible....

Kind Regards,

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

FSAddon_boss

Hi John, first of all, I truly appreciate any and all advice and suggestions to help me build my little dream, really !!

But not being in the States, or an Anglo-Saxon (related) country, poses a major problem in itself. It seems that the most fanatic flightsimmers are all in the States and Europe's northern countries (where I originate from). That of course has a huge impact on the commercial side of it too. When there's no market, there's no shops.

I found one (1) cockpit builders forum in Italian so far. It had 4 members presenting themselves, back in 2016..... I guess it died. Not much luck finding anybody anywhere near where we live.....

As for experience.... I DID sit in various cockpits over these past 40 years. I was a volunteer for a few years at a Dutch aviation museum, where I was a demonstrator of their 737-ish cockpit. It only had 2 monitors with some weird ' enlargement'  glass in front of them (see picture).

I also flew an F-16 at a professional simulator, with a 270 degree bubble-like projection. You could actually look up and over your shoulder to see your wingmen !

But no, I didn't have a chance to try 3 65° tv's yet..... but they cost more here than 3 projectors  :o

I did find some 'refurbished'  projectors on Amazon.it, but have no idea how trustworthy they are (or the seller), so am a bit weary of that. Amazon is okay with returning faulty wares, but if they break after a year, I'm on my own :(

As for space..... THAT at least I have enough now..... see my pictures. We closed an old open haystack and made it my hangar for car and flightsim/mancave.....

Best regards,
Francois
retired

blueskydriver

Hi Francois,

You definitely have room and I'm glad you've been in sims before as that helps a lot.

The only thing I'd suggest is that you sacrifice the money and buy new projectors if you go that way. The warranty is what matters most, and pixels do burn out along with the entire chip.

In the past, I purchased 3 new projectors with one burning out the chip in 20 days. They sent me a new one. Now, I have another one today with a chip going out, but they're all out of warranty.

Good thing is I purchased 3 slightly used projectors of the same exact models that I have from Scott (back when he switched to 5 monitors). They've been in the boxes for years, so I have a replacement or three...lol!

Thus, whatever you buy new or refurbished, do think about who you get them from and how they'll support you later on. Nothing worse than a sim with projectors that don't project.

John

FSAddon_boss

Today I found a company (German, with an office here in Italy) that sells the Optoma GT1080e for Euro 686 ( around US$ 780)...... just slightly more than the comparable Benq projectors. Looks like a good deal.

I am now trying to figure out
a) how large the screen would need to be to satisfy my dreams

b) how to construct a cage that I can hang the projectors from..... needs to be sturdy and out of the way of the pilot's view

I did figure out HOW to make my screen...... my initial idea got confirmed and improved by a Youtube video from a New Zealand gentleman....
Best regards,
Francois
retired

FSAddon_boss

Trying to figure out the size of the screen I am going to ' need' .

This is with a radius of 150 cm, total width 3 meters. If I want it to extend further back behind my shoulders, it would need to be even larger.

Does the flyElise software help in asssessing the size too, or is it just calibrating the projectors?

Best regards,
Francois
retired

Jason L

navymustang

FlyElise does have screen set up and design software. I use it all the time and makes things so easy.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Trevor Hale

Quote from: FSAddon_boss on February 23, 2022, 12:06:08 PMDoes the flyElise software help in asssessing the size too, or is it just calibrating the projectors?

When you go to purchase the FlyElise Software, ensure you buy the ultimate version.  You get the calibration pro software with the bundle.  That software allows you to specify the radius, and circumference of your screen and even input your eye-point position to the screen for correct FOV.  By far the best software that I have ever used.

I have 3 projectors setup with a "horseshoe shape" spanning 16 feet of screen (2 X 4' X 8') Boards.  My eye-point is sitting aprox 5' from the middle of the screen and all these measurements are placed in FlyElise.  (In Metres) of course LOL.

There is some great youtube videos (Although older) with Calibration Pro and its usage.

This video is the reason I selected the Fly Elise Software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvHEDmdxXCE&t=1227s

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

FSAddon_boss

Hi Trevor, yes, I contacted them already for information and they advised the same. Not cheap though....

I have figured out how I want to build my screen..... just thinking about the desired size still.

Horseshoe means you have a 180 degree screen with extended sides ?
Best regards,
Francois
retired

Jason L

I should have clarified, it won't help you determine the size of your screen that you should get, but with known measurements as Trevor states you can do a very thorough calibration and setup based on your existing screen size and seat location.

blueskydriver

blueskydriver

Table for your model.... And, I attached info from mine just too read more.

John

blueskydriver

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate