Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:23:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
143 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 204
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 143
Total: 143

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

727/737 Boeing Shell Height After Cutting

Started by Boeing Skunk Works, September 13, 2011, 06:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boeing Skunk Works

Guys, for those of you using an actual shell cut just below the floor level for transport, what is the total height of the shell?

I'm debating whether I should buy a real aircraft cockpit or rebuild my 727. It still has to fit in my garage door though.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Trevor Hale

Phil should be able to answer this one Mike...  I am sure he will be on shortly.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

blueskydriver

Mike,

It is 12.2' uncut. Although, ours is not cut yet, likely it'll be about 4' off that. How big is your door? Where are you getting a B727 cockpit from?

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

727737Nut

Couldn't be more qualified myself as I have done that exact feat!  It will fit through a 7' door when cut just below the cockpit floor in the back 2feet.  Was cut just below rudder pedal interlink in front.  When sitting level it is 8' tall.  Fit nice and snug in my 10x20 garage.  Just ask Bob Reed, he saw it in person.
737 Junkie

Boeing Skunk Works

All right, thanks fellas. I don't have any prospects for a shell yet. I'm just exploring the idea. My garage door is only 80". Not very high. I would have to remove the door and the header to get it in.

blueskydriver

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Boeing Skunk Works

blueskydriver

To be honest, the B727 is still sitting in the driveway, uncut and waiting for a building for it too go into. It's been there almost two years (come January). We just been having too much fun with the B737 lately...

Anyway, here is someone that just cut his cockpit very recently; he posted some info and photos about the cutting:

http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=1910.msg14677#msg14677

Do hope you get a real cockpit Mike.

BSD

Rodney

Mine is approx. 8 foot cut.  8' wide also.  But its not the final cut.  Garage doors are usually 7 foot so it would have to be tilted and moved in.  I'd do it and take pictures if you all would convince my wife to permanently park her 2011 caddy outside. :o

When the rain stops, I'd be happy to provide other measurements for you.

phil744

Rodney is spot on with what he says, you need to tilt the nose up, you can loose 1 foot of the overall height just by doing that.

I think the first question you need to answer Mike is do you want to keep the engineers station in the 727? or just have capt-FO position forward.

A friend of mine has a 757 in his garage at home, he had the same issue with the 7 foot grarge door, keep in mind the 57 is a much bigger bird, what he did was to crown the shell, basically cut some of the top section off along the hangar then re attach once inside the garage, the interior trim/overhead covers the cut so u will never notice

Phil
---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

Boeing Skunk Works

After checking out a couple of links I don't think I'll be doing the shell thing. I already have one new morgage, I don't want or need a second.

Unless I win the lottery or the cockpit builders God comes rolling up in my driveway with a 727 strapped to his back I'll be building it out of wood like I did the first one.

blueskydriver

phil744

Dont forget Mike you have 90% of the parts required so get a shell that is totally stripped down, good reason to get the price down, bet someone somewhere will have a bare shell they just want rid off
---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

Boeing Skunk Works

Quote from: blueskydriver on September 15, 2011, 06:01:38 AM
Mike, UAM B727 $3-5K that's it...

I didn't contact the guy, but I found the .pdf with the prices. $15K...$13K for members here. Don't know how he's doing it for $3K-$5K. I still couldn't swing that for the next 24 to 36 months and I'm not waiting that long to get back up and flying.

blueskydriver

Mike, was that the PDF on the UAM site or is that posted somewhere else? Also, is that for the B727 or B737?

Back when we got the B727, we asked them to make a deal for MYC members, and that was right along the time CB was starting out. Anyway, maybe we should ask for a deal for CB users now on the B727 and B737. Who knows they might be willing to workout a great deal.

Which amount was you speaking of, that would take you 24-36 months, the $3-5K or $12-15K? Did you by chance email or call Andrew? Normally, they cant get rid of the cockpits for along time, so that's why the prices can (should) be cheaper.

BSD

Boeing Skunk Works

Quote from: blueskydriver on September 15, 2011, 07:43:37 AM
Mike, was that the PDF on the UAM site or is that posted somewhere else? Also, is that for the B727 or B737?

Back when we got the B727, we asked them to make a deal for MYC members, and that was right along the time CB was starting out. Anyway, maybe we should ask for a deal for CB users now on the B727 and B737. Who knows they might be willing to workout a great deal.

Which amount was you speaking of, that would take you 24-36 months, the $3-5K or $12-15K? Did you by chance email or call Andrew? Normally, they cant get rid of the cockpits for along time, so that's why the prices can (should) be cheaper.

BSD

Those prices were published on the site for the 737. Didn't specify old or NG. No info on the site for the 727. Even the lower amounts are too much for me right now after taking on a new house. I didn't contact him after reading those.

blueskydriver

Okay, that PDF is old from way back then. The B727's are much cheaper, in fact I just found something out about UAM...look for the post.

jackpilot

Mike
I had a woodn FDS shell brand new in the box. I sold it to a friend hen ot th metal one.
Not sure he used it . will check and report.
JP

Jack

Boeing Skunk Works

Thanks. Hope it's cheap if he'll let it go.

jackpilot

Rats
Heis using it!!
I have nice pics and the manual though. Want some?

Jack

Boeing Skunk Works

Yes, that would be as good as having plans. Well, almost. I can extrapolate quite a bit from parts I already have. I'll send you a PM.

XOrionFE

Hello Michael,

I am glad to see you back online and back into building mode.   My shell is the old wood FDS one and is all built up with real panels on the inside along with Real overhead frames and an FDS mip.  I am happy to help with any measurements or pictures you need.   In fact, I don't know if you would want to take a road trip some weekend but if your still in southern Illinois I am probably a 5 hour drive away.  Your welcome to come up and gather data and do some flying while your at it.  Your always welcome.  Heck...if you don't mind jamming with a crappy drummer bring your guitar up with you!  Some of the builders on here are planning to come here for the first few days of world flight also.   We won't be joining as an official team but planning on doing the flights along with them at least for a couple days.  It would be great to have another experienced pilot to act as a captain on some of the legs if you want to think about that.   Would again love to have you up for that.

Scott
Scott

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate