Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:03:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
374 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 393
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 374
Total: 374

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Oxygen mask dimensions

Started by vidarf, June 10, 2012, 01:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vidarf

Hi folks!

This is what I've worked on today:

I have the outside dimensions and the location and dimensions of the Dzus cutouts. The rest it PURELY imagination and guesstimation on my part.

Does anybody have the real panels, or the replica ones Simknobs (man, I miss that company!!) had?

I need more measurements. An image with a ruler would be GREAT, providing the image is taken straight on (not at an angle) and not with a wide angle lens (zoom in a bit).

These measurements are the most important:
- diameter of the round indicator window
- the diameter of its hole and the distance from the edges of the "door" (top and left)
- the size of the hinges
- the width of the outermost parts (where the hinges are fastened, with the Dzus cutouts)
- THE HEIGHT of the panel. I've used 10mm as the Dzus replicas are 6mm.
- The size of the square cutout around the mask
- the width of the hose opening and if possible, the diameter / radius of the rounded cutout
- the depth of the D shaped hole, the width and if possible the radiuses of the rounded corners (large and small)

It doesn't need to be an exact replica, but as close as I can get.

I'm going to try to make a master model and then cast copies of it in resin (want to try something new). I need 3 of those and I do NOT want to make all three one by one!
If I'm successful, I might offer the panels for sale. NO PROMISES!

I am also working on the aft part of the cockpit - the CB panels and the structure behind the seats. There is VERY little information available. If anybody have access to a real 'pit, I would be very interested in knowing some measurements!

I will upload detailed drawings and building descriptions of everything I make (some of you have seen the side walls I am working on). But I'll hold further uploads until I've built the things in order to make sure the drawings are correct. The sidewall drawings, for instance, is NOT correct at the back. Will have to look into that as building progresses. I'm waiting for my FDS Glare Shield kit to arrive before I can continue work on the sidewalls.

I am also working on a shell drawing, so a good DIY'er should be able to spit out a cockpit with lots of detail in a hurry. :)

Anyway, any help would be appreciated! First and foremost: the oxy mask panel.

ivar hestnes

Good guesswork on dimensions normally get pretty close when you study a photo when designing.
I think even many of the real planes has been built that way...

Sean

Hi Vidar

I have what I guess maybe one of Nihads last oxy panels off his production line  :(

I'm also gutted he has stopped his little business. I also planned on the full compliment (4?) over time. I can provide the measurements you are looking for. I'll even take a photo for you.

But you'll have to wait until tomorrow evening, that's the first chance I'll get.

Sean

vidarf

Thanks, Sean! :) Great! Could you send them to vidar AT fagerjord.org please?

You need 3 of them. The observer seat does not seem to have a fancy holder for its mask, as far as I've seen.

Ivar, I know - but if I can, I'll use the correct dimensions. If not, I'll guesstimate. :) In this case, there's very little image material out there. There's TONS of images of the MIP, but almost none of the back of the cockpit. I understand why, but it frustrates me. Oh, well. :D

Sean

Quote from: vidarf on June 10, 2012, 01:23:28 PMThese measurements are the most important:

- diameter of the round indicator window

14mm

- the diameter of its hole and the distance from the edges of the "door" (top and left)

16mm and 5mm

- the size of the hinges

48mm x 17mm

- the width of the outermost parts (where the hinges are fastened, with the Dzus cutouts)

15mm

- THE HEIGHT of the panel. I've used 10mm as the Dzus replicas are 6mm.

8mm faceplate plus 2mm aluminium backplate

- The size of the square cutout around the mask

50mm wide x 46mm high

- the width of the hose opening and if possible, the diameter / radius of the rounded cutout

25mm wide & 25mm diameter

- the depth of the D shaped hole, the width and if possible the radiuses of the rounded corners (large and small)

18mm deep, 104mm wide. 36mm (large radius), 18mm (small)

It doesn't need to be an exact replica, but as close as I can get.

That's about as accurate as I can get. My eyesight seems to be getting worse!  8)

I'll rattle off some pictures to corroborate those figures.

vidarf

Sean, you're a gem! Thank you so much! Should be VERY easy to replicate the panel now! I'll share the measurements as soon as I've built a panel (to verify my drawings).

THANK YOU! :)

vidarf

And here is the preliminary result:

Still some details that needs tweaking, but the drawing is almost completed. Just need the oxygen mask inlay, but that will come later (if ever - might be best to make "in situ").

Trevor Hale

Nicely drawn Vidar. Now all you need is the 3d printer :)
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

vidarf

I have one. Consist of a router, my hands and the Norwegian stubbornness. 8)

vidarf

I stand corrected - there is in fact 4 oxy mask panels in the 737. Both pilots, the foldable jump seat and the second observer seat.

I've worked on the oxy panel the last week. Looks very promising! The only problem I'm having is that there seems to be impossible to source the braided hose. I've only found black ones, but that might just have to do.

If everything works out, I might - MIGHT - be able to offer oxygen panel replicas to you guys. But don't hold your breath though!

Sean, you have priority!!!! :)

Sean

Sean

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate