Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:19:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
331 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 331
Total: 331

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

FDS 737 Shell Builders

Started by FlyingTeacher, August 24, 2012, 01:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyingTeacher

Hello everyone,

As I prepare for a new 737 project ( see http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=2785.0 ) I had a few questions with regards to the FDS 737 Shell.

Has anyone had any major issues with the overall integrity of the shell? Since I notice a lot of people here choose a "real" shell. I unfortunately don't have the budget for a real shell so I question the FDS option. Since that will be the likely option for my project.

Is it easy to put together as they claim it to be. Easy meaning it won't take a masters in engineering to figure it out. As the above post mentions I will be working with high school aged students. I want them to be able to get it done.

Thank you again for everyone's help on this and future questions I may have.

FlyingTeacher
Charlie

XOrionFE

It is first rate.    Not to offend anyone with a real shell but using the FDS one makes for a far easier project and takes up a lot less space.   If you dont care what the outside looks like (and IMHO you shouldnt as a cockpit builder) then the FDS shell is perfect, strong, and very easy to assemble.    I have their old wooden one and I cannot tell you how many times after seeing the metal one in person and flying in it at Maurice's house and at FDS I wanted to scrap my wooden one and get the metal one.    And unless you have a lot of space, time, blades, bandages, and a pension for divorce.....a real shell is only for the bravest of the brave (again, IMHO).   Probably the greatest advantage I see to a real shell is the rudder and yoke mechanisms under the floor.   One builder here, Axel, was extremely smart and got the real shell and cut the top off leaving just the floor with the yokes and pedals intact then put the FDS shell on top.     

Anyway, that is my opinion only but I can say you 100% would be happy with the FDS shell.     I will let those who own them speak up from first hand experience.

Scott

FlyingTeacher

Great information Scott. Thank you so much. I will look forward to having some actual builders who own it to check in.

You did mention that its not having space. Is the FDS smaller (assuming) than say a real 737 shell. If so by how much?

I am sure when I check in with FDS they will have this info. Just curious to ask.

Charlie

Maurice

Hi Charlie,

Welcome to this madness. I do own an FDS shell and I can assure you that putting it together is almost child's play. It took me a few partial days but I was not in a hurry to finish it. I know of at least one other builder who put it up in one day, so no worries about putting it together.

Another BIG advantage is that all the other components such as liners, overhead, MIPS will fit perfectly. Having witnessed first hand the work that is required to convert a real Boeing shell, I would certainly not encourage anyone to go that route unless you really enjoy the aggravation and quite a few people just in this forum are masochists & have taken that route. :)

I know that Jack has posted pictures of the assembly of his shell in this forum and/or the FDS forum. If I find the link I will let you know but Jack will probably beat me to it.

Anyway, I can tell you I'm truly happy with the FDS shell and would never consider anything else if I was to start over. Please talk to Peter at FDS; I'm sure he will help you make the choice that is right for you ?

Regards,
Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

jackpilot

Jack

FlyingTeacher

Wow those are great pictures. And even better information about the Shell. Thank you both.

I am pretty sure I will be contacting FDS over the weekend so I can get some information. You guys are great thanks

Charlie

Sean

I have to agree with the others. I've regularly built/dismantled my FDS shell during the progress of my sim, and it can be built in around 4 hours once you've got the hang of it!

Here's mine...

shell

FlyingTeacher

Ok that was totally cool!! thanks for that video.

I hope to have all my questions and issues ironed out today so I can send off to the proper Venders (FDS, Flight Illusions etc)

Thanks again everyone

Charlie

N737AG

Charlie :

Even though the bottom of my flightdeck is from a real airplane, I chose to go with the FDS shell. It makes building the flightdeck a lot easier and comfortable and even safe.

FDS's shell is very well designed and engineered, easy to assemble and will fit perfectly with MIP, Overhead and even the liners FDS produces.

I can tell you now, you will be very happy and pleased with their products

If you are in Florida, stop by at my place to see it all. I am near Fort Lauderdale. In the Sarasota area is Sam, who also has a 737. I know he will also be very happy to show it to you.

Axel

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate