Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 03:53:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
710 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 710
Total: 710

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Basic Lever TQ

Started by ColinB, January 25, 2013, 02:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColinB

I am putting together a basic TQ to see me through until I can build my cessna one but not sure how to ad resistance to the levers? at the moment if I put it slightly forward of balanced upright they just fall all the way forward and the same with backwards. Any help or suggestions?
Founder of GA Simulation

A group set up for fans of GA flying to chat and share anything GA related.

Also Find us on Facebook GA Simulation on FACEBOOK

Joe Lavery

If you're using the rod through a block method of construction, then the easiest way is to spit a plastic pipe that will fit around the sliding rod in half, then screw a bolt into the block so it bears on the plastic pipe. This will restrict the rod's movement and create a resistance. The tighter the bolt the greater the resistance.

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

ColinB

sorry Joe, should have been clearer, this is a temporary thing using 3 levers this style but home built and very basic materials

http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Flight-Simulation-Throttles-CH-6-Lever-Throttle-Quadrant+7744
Founder of GA Simulation

Joe Lavery

Ah, a different design to the one you were asking about earlier.
Well in this type of construction there will usually be a central axle that aall the levers are mounted on. You need to get some plastic or silicone washers and use them to pack each side of each lever, that will create the resistance you need, it's the way I built my 737 TQ.

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

ColinB

ok, so for this design I need to use gears?

where can I get gears that fit a D shaped pot shaft?
Founder of GA Simulation

Joe Lavery

Not sure if they do D shaped but you can use the ones with a grub screw and lock it on to the flat of the D.

http://www.technobotsonline.com/gears/plastic-model-gears.html

ColinB

to get all the gearing for that it will end up costing the same as building the push pull one lol, i will give it a miss and carry on as i am lol
Founder of GA Simulation

jackpilot

Colin
Building anything will cost some.
A TQ, whether push pull or rotating lever can be built with household material, look for anything having the proper shape, (ex:  shelving support brackets can make nice levers, ABS tubing can make handles etc) but you need at least one pot (no need for separate engines controls)  some gear, a few toggles, one threaded rod, a few bolts and a ton of ingenuity.
A TQ like below, built ions ago, from a old dust bin, would cost  less than $10.
The other one is all wood
cost next to zero

Scratch your head, roll up your sleeves and build.
Cheers
Jack

Jack

ColinB

its not so much the cost of making a TQ I had problems with I was hoping I had most of what I would need already to make the lever type TQ (I have loads of rotary pots here from an old joystick) but needing to use gears puts a spanner in my plans so I will just wait till I get all the parts I need for a push pull TQ instead.
Founder of GA Simulation

jonesthesoftware

Hi Colin
you could of course use a linear slide type pot fixed to the throttle handle (no gears required). The throttle handle(s) would be centre mounted on a piece of threaded rod but the linear pot could be screwed to an mdf frame with a simple straight lever connecting the linear pot to the throttle handle. I used this method on a previous throttle and it's quite simple. I mounted the handle then a short straight piece of perspex or aluminium fixed to either the throttle handle or the pot then simply rotate the handle and move the pot to a position which gives ALMOST the full travel of the pot(leave room fot error) back and forth. Screw pot in position. Use 10kohm pot and connect to BU0836 . You don't need full travel as you can calibrate for the actual travel of the pot via joystick calibration in windows (or fsuipc).
regards
geoff
Building a 767 cockpit

ColinB

Thanks Geoff, I have decided to leave the lever system as I want to imitate the Cessna 182RG anyway I will just wait until I can get to our local electrical shop and pick up a few 10k slide pots and some sort of rod and build the push pull system.

This is what I am going to be using your Bodnar board for by the way Geoff, thanks very much again :D
Founder of GA Simulation

fsaviator

Colin,
As you seem to be tackling your build by hand, might I suggest you consider an initial investment in one of Mike Powell's books?  I know it seems like a bit steep but in the long run the pointers it will give you will more than save you the cost of the book.  Just a suggestion based on how much it helped me when I started my first of several builds, a Cessna T-41 (military version of the 172).

http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/mfdb/mfdb.html
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate