Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 04:43:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
465 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 747
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 465
Total: 465

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

New FSX PC - Advice Appreciated

Started by Andrew 737, June 02, 2013, 06:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew 737

Dear All

I would like opinions (if you would all be so kind) on what my next PC Upgrade should be?

Set in stone are (I already own these) is an OCZ Vertex 3 480g (or 512g can't remember) SSD, GTX 780 Card (on its way), H80 cooling and 1200watt PSU.

Should I go 6 core proc or the new Hawell soon to be released; which Mobo and Which RAM?

Please can you give reasons for choice of either 6 core or 4 Core please?

Thanks all
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

PC Specs - 3 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig ram, Samsung Pro 512g & 256g SSD's - 1 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig Ram, Caviar Black HDD With Crucial Adrenaline & 2 x i7 980x @ 3.3, 6gig ram, GTX 580 & Velociraptor HDD's

fordgt40

Andrew

Single most important thing is that FSX needs raw CPU speed and more! It is essential to get an overclocked CPU operating at around 4.4ghz.

David

Andrew 737

Quote from: fordgt40 on June 02, 2013, 06:42:51 AM
Andrew

Single most important thing is that FSX needs raw CPU speed and more! It is essential to get an overclocked CPU operating at around 4.4ghz.

David

Hi David

Thanks for your reply.

I completely get the whole OC thing - see my sig; my current specs. Most of my machines run at 4.8; HOWEVER, I have only 4 core procs, my main question is would a 6 core OC proc give me more Perf?
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

PC Specs - 3 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig ram, Samsung Pro 512g & 256g SSD's - 1 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig Ram, Caviar Black HDD With Crucial Adrenaline & 2 x i7 980x @ 3.3, 6gig ram, GTX 580 & Velociraptor HDD's

fordgt40

Andrew

The print at the bottom is too small to read at my age :)

It depends how you are going to use this pc, if solely for fsx,  then 6 cores will make no difference. I believe that fsx only caters for two cores (not originally, but only after the service pack recodes) - though am prepared to be corrected. If multiple progs then clearly the more cores the better.

David

Andrew 737

Quote from: fordgt40 on June 02, 2013, 09:54:43 AM
Andrew

The print at the bottom is too small to read at my age :)

It depends how you are going to use this pc, if solely for fsx,  then 6 cores will make no difference. I believe that fsx only caters for two cores (not originally, but only after the service pack recodes) - though am prepared to be corrected. If multiple progs then clearly the more cores the better.

David

Hi David

This PC will be for FSX, FSUIPC, a few add-on sceneries. That is all.

I want it to run with room to spare - like a Rolls Royce in 5th gear doing 60MPH  8)

If at all possible that is?

What I do NOT want to do is buy hardware that is incorrect, for example a multi core proc that may hold FSX back because of the way FSX works - I have had conflicting advice over the months.

I do know FSX will use 4 cores and not just 2; that info I believe is inaccurate; however I may be wrong; more likely me than you - need more definitive advice really.

Thank you for your post though; it is greatly appreciated.
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

Andrew 737

Regards and Thanks

Andrew

HarryZ

There are tweaks out there for your FSX.CFG file that allow FS X to take advantage of multi-core systems.  In the end, it's a balance between a good GPU (Nvidia 500 series and higher) and strong CPU...Core i7 with high clock speed.

Harry
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

Andrew 737

Hi Harry

I have 4 brilliant tweaks; Kosta will confirm my AF for me; I have a gtx 780 on order and I'm looking at the 3970x CPU - I have a 480gig SSD and water cooling

I believe that to be the 'one'

Not much more Perf than I already have but more breathing space I think. Just need to get CL6/7 ram and OC settings.

I have had some sterling advice and I think this will be ok

Regards
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

Garys

IMO - Looking at your specs, you already have one of the best cpu's for FSX especially with that overclock. You will see absolutely little benefit going to Ivybridge and it seems Haswell has come up a bit short as well.  The only thing that may give you better performance from your current setup and with what you have already on the way would be the new lowest latency/highest speed memory modules that our out.

FSX code is brutal as we all now unfortunately. You already have a strong setup, so even with the parts you have on the way you aren't going to see that big of an increase. Tweaking the FSX.CFG can produce better results than spending significant amounts on hardware when you already own a strong sandybridge setup.

The hardware forum over at avsim.com has plenty of members who have the latest hardware, so it may be worth spending some time and reading through some posts as well. Very good advice and options for new builds on all budgets.

Gary

Andrew 737

Quote from: Garys on June 03, 2013, 01:00:53 PM
IMO - Looking at your specs, you already have one of the best cpu's for FSX especially with that overclock. You will see absolutely little benefit going to Ivybridge and it seems Haswell has come up a bit short as well.  The only thing that may give you better performance from your current setup and with what you have already on the way would be the new lowest latency/highest speed memory modules that our out.

FSX code is brutal as we all now unfortunately. You already have a strong setup, so even with the parts you have on the way you aren't going to see that big of an increase. Tweaking the FSX.CFG can produce better results than spending significant amounts on hardware when you already own a strong sandybridge setup.

The hardware forum over at avsim.com has plenty of members who have the latest hardware, so it may be worth spending some time and reading through some posts as well. Very good advice and options for new builds on all budgets.

Gary

Hi Gary

I think you are correct - however, whilst getting 'a bit more breathing space' on my CPU with the same perf result, it will hopefully allow windows some more room to do its thing without detriment to FSX when it loads tiles and 'spikes' the CPU

I hope!!

I will put both types of systems head to head and report back here - should be interesting

Regards and Thanks

Andrew

Garys

Will be interesting to see the results. With FSX being so badly coded though, I still think 100% of the cpu will be utilized with no room left to breath. It wont be until until we see cpu's in the 6-7ghz range before we start seeing the hardware overtake this software which is pretty sad really.

You already have a solid system with some nice parts on the way to complement it. Not trying to talk you out of your upgrade but I don't think you will see the benefits that you want. I believe that in the early stages of cockpit building more should be put into the cockpit hardware itself. This will put a larger smile on your face. As you add more hardware and rely less on a keyboard and mouse it definitely gives more satisfaction and enjoyment and will want you to push further ahead in your setup. More than than 1 or 2 frames or 1 or 2 less stutters ever could.

Gary

Andrew 737

Hi Gary

Quite right - most of the time I spend looking at the avionics; just popping my head up to look out on finals and taxiing around, whilst in the cruise quite often I grab a cup of tea or a beer!

Being able to do a Full flight - Pushback, startup, SID, cruise, Decent, STAR, approach and Shutdown with NO mouse & keyboard is 'extremely satisfying' :)

If I remember correctly the last time I flew (before dismantling to build visuals) I was pretty close to doing this - one of the things I do remember, was having to add a hat switch to my FFB yoke for views; that I will not miss :)
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

Andrew 737

Quote from: Garys on June 03, 2013, 02:44:14 PM
Will be interesting to see the results. With FSX being so badly coded though, I still think 100% of the cpu will be utilized with no room left to breath. It wont be until until we see cpu's in the 6-7ghz range

Do you think this will ever happen?
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

Garys

Hopefully by the time cpu speeds are able to reach that,  FSX will be long gone and a new better sim will have taken its place. One that will be able to take advantage of current hardware. With the world being crazy for mobile devices these days who knows??

One thing that is certain,  is that you will have a nice system once you put all those parts together that you have ordered :)

Gary

Andrew 737

We will see what Lockheed Martin bring to us :)

Regards and Thanks

Andrew

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate