Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 05:43:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
714 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 714
Total: 714

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Maths - Ouch my head hurts!!!!

Started by Andrew 737, July 09, 2013, 12:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew 737

Hi Guys

I really hope I have not worn out my welcome!  ;)

OK so, I am trying to work out my projection throw/screen size; the infocus projector calculator is telling me that I will get a 225cm wide picture at 1.1m throw - all good but...

when this image is warped (ie curved to follow the screen) how much 'curved screen' coverage will I get?

surley *not* the 225cm of flat (straight uncurved) projection?

As ever all help 'MASSIVELY' appreciated
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

PC Specs - 3 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig ram, Samsung Pro 512g & 256g SSD's - 1 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig Ram, Caviar Black HDD With Crucial Adrenaline & 2 x i7 980x @ 3.3, 6gig ram, GTX 580 & Velociraptor HDD's

HarryZ

Quote from: Andrew 737 on July 09, 2013, 12:06:41 PM
Hi Guys

OK so, I am trying to work out my projection throw/screen size; the infocus projector calculator is telling me that I will get a 225cm wide picture at 1.1m throw - all good but...

when this image is warped (ie curved to follow the screen) how much 'curved screen' coverage will I get?

Andrew,

Initially, you will get 3 images, all 225cm wide and they should have an overlap of about 20% between projector 1&2 and again between 2&3.  This overlap is necessary when using the blending software, otherwise it won't work properly.  These pics will also be quite distorted since they are flat projector images beamed on to a curved screen.

Now the task of working with the blending software to get it to look right.  A challenge for sure but once you get the hang of what you are doing, the results will be well worth the effort.  Good luck.

Harry
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

Andrew 737

Quote from: HarryZ on July 09, 2013, 01:22:51 PM
Quote from: Andrew 737 on July 09, 2013, 12:06:41 PM
Hi Guys

Andrew,

Initially, you will get 3 images, all 225cm wide and they should have an overlap of about 20% between projector 1&2 and again between 2&3.  This overlap is necessary when using the blending software, otherwise it won't work properly.  These pics will also be quite distorted since they are flat projector images beamed on to a curved screen.

Now the task of working with the blending software to get it to look right.  A challenge for sure but once you get the hang of what you are doing, the results will be well worth the effort.  Good luck.

Harry

Hi Harry

Thanks for the heads up on the overlap.

Just to confirm once the projector image Is warped will it still be 225cm wide or will warping short it at all?

Regards and Thanks

Andrew

PC Specs - 3 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig ram, Samsung Pro 512g & 256g SSD's - 1 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig Ram, Caviar Black HDD With Crucial Adrenaline & 2 x i7 980x @ 3.3, 6gig ram, GTX 580 & Velociraptor HDD's

Sean

Hi Andrew

A little late in your debate, but I'm the other guy with a screen from Carl. One of the best decisions I made for the sim.

Regards the warping software, you won't lose any screen real estate with the warping side of things, but you will with the blending, by the amount of the overlap. The two outer projectors need to be rotated inwards by the required amount. I'm using Nthusim and it's about 10% each side.

Sean

Andrew 737

Quote from: Sean Nixon on July 13, 2013, 12:02:10 AM
Hi Andrew

A little late in your debate, but I'm the other guy with a screen from Carl. One of the best decisions I made for the sim.

Regards the warping software, you won't lose any screen real estate with the warping side of things, but you will with the blending, by the amount of the overlap. The two outer projectors need to be rotated inwards by the required amount. I'm using Nthusim and it's about 10% each side.

Sean

Hi Sean

That's great to hear - thanks.

Yes I am starting to 'get' the whole overlapping thing :) for me this is usefull as my screens would have been a little too wide at the height I am using - I will use 20 percent (min) overlap

The guy at Carlofet is actually called Joe! I kept calling him Carl too, until I read his sig at the bottom of his e-mail - or maybe there are a few of them work there.
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

HarryZ

QuoteJust to confirm once the projector image Is warped will it still be 225cm wide or will warping short it at all?

Yes, Warpalizing won't change the width of the image all that much.  It takes a distorted image fits it nicely to the curved screen.  Good examples of this at www.warpalizer.com.

Harry
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

Sean

Not sure about other software, but with Nthusim, the overlap ratio is fixed. You can't choose how much to overlap. You just do as the software says! I wouldn't worry about your image being too wide. You just won't see the end bits. It's when you haven't got enough that's the problem!

Sean

Andrew 737

Quote from: Sean Nixon on July 13, 2013, 09:10:43 AM
Not sure about other software, but with Nthusim, the overlap ratio is fixed. You can't choose how much to overlap. You just do as the software says! I wouldn't worry about your image being too wide. You just won't see the end bits. It's when you haven't got enough that's the problem!

Sean

A Classic case of 'cant see wood for trees'; I never considered not seeing the 'end bits'

Doh!

Thanks Sean :)

With regards to overlap, I have assumed overlap is was configurable because of the conversations I have had about Warpalizer - it may not be, as you say.
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

Flying_Fox

Sean

Immersive Display Lite (and Pro) allows any overlap ratio for blending.

Nick

Andrew 737

Quote from: Flying_Fox on July 15, 2013, 07:38:23 AM

Sean

Immersive Display Lite (and Pro) allows any overlap ratio for blending.

Nick

Thank you for the Tip :)
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate