Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 10:38:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
714 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 714
Total: 714

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

MIP and Christmas

Started by Flying_Fox, December 25, 2013, 11:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying_Fox

What MIP and Christmas have in common?  ;)

Yes, MIP may look like lit up Christmas tree:

Yet there is another more direct connection.
My MIP that I bought had annunciator boxes  but no LED lights/panels. So I needed some DIY solution. And I bought nice panels from Opencockpits. Then, for the actual LEDs I turned my eyes to cheap and inexhaustible source - Christmas lights.  :idiot:

The leds from Christmas lights are typically for 3.1-3.6 v, so they will not work well with FDS cards - they will be too dim. But they are perfect solution for those who use Pokeys cards, however Pokeys itself can guarantee only 4 ma current per output, so LED lights need LED extension board that can be build yourself, like I did:

or such board can be bought from www.flightsimparts.eu

Note also, that Pokeys card outputs need a common plus, not ground. In case of using LED extension boards the outputs go through ULN2803A chip then limiting resistor (560 Ohm in my case for +12v) then through DB-25 cable to MIP that has common +12 connector for LEDs.
Another detail is that Opencockpits annunciator LED panels have pair LED connection in series, not in parallel like FDS cards do.

I actualle had to rework my FDS 6-packs when I decided to replace LEDs in them to the ones from Christmas lights. I had to reverse the LEDs so they could have common + instead of common ground. Those 6-pack LEDs are powered from dedicated 5-volts LED Extension board (with 120 Ohm resistors), as well as AFDS single LED lights.

So, this is how Christmas lights are connected to MIP.  :)
Now would be a good time to get them on sale.  :angel:

P.S. BTW, I now have unused FDS SYS4X card for sale, if anybody interested.  (Update: card SOLD)

markfire

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate