Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:05:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
137 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 154
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 137
Total: 137

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

DC-9 Dimensions

Started by amelia242424, January 10, 2014, 04:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amelia242424

Hi, I am newer at this, I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find dimensional information for the front end of a DC-9 that I am about to build?
Specifically, the dimensions of the cockpit?

Any help with this information is appreciated so much..

Kristin

matta757

Welcome!

Great to see a Diesel 9 builder on here! I'm in Minneapolis and was lucky enough to get to see Delta's farewell flights to the DC-9 earlier this week after almost 50 years of service. Of course, they've been doing non-scheduled flights still, but no more scheduled service. Sad to see her go, she was a great workhouse and MSP has always, at least through 2011, been lucky enough to get lots of DC-9s.

Unfortunately, I have no DC-9 dimensions. You might consider looking at eBay for throttle quadrants, I know there are several MD-80 quadrants up for sale which, although newer than the DC-9, have the same dimensions, I believe, and the levers are the same too. I got my real 757 TQ on eBay and it's a decision I would STRONGLY recommend to any builder. Nothing can beat the feel of the real thing.

Keep us posted with your progress and pictures are always welcomed!

Matt

amelia242424

Thanks Matt,

Well since it's hard to find dimensions, I went ahead and made arrangements to head down to Mojave.  I will be driving down on the 17th, and on the 19th, I have 1.5 hours to get all measures and pictures that are needed.  I believe it will be off of a DC-9-31.  Then I will build the frame from wood, and on we go.

Kristin

Jetcos

Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

matta757

Great link there. The MD-80 cockpits, as far as I can tell, are nearly identical in size and measurements as the DC-9's, afterall the first MD-80s were DC-9-80 series. Avionics are really the only major difference I think...

Matt

XOrionFE

This would be a great build Kristen and I look forward to seeing your progress. Please post pictures as you go.   Back in the 90s when I flew as an FE in P-3s out of NAS Glenview there was a VR squadron (VR-51) that shared the tarmac with us (VP-60 & VP-90). They flew the C-9Bs which essentially were DC-9s.   

Best regards and welcome to CB.

Scott

fsaviator

Welcome Kristin!

Good luck with the DC-9!  Always nice to see how people tackle the projects that don't have readily available information.  Mojave?  It looks like you are going straight to GO and collecting $200 on the way!  I wish I could work in the opportunity to spend the day there measuring and taking photos!

Keep us up to date and stay active in the forum.  It's a great place to hang out.
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Jetcos

You would change your mind quickly when you enter an old aircraft that sits in the heat of the desert. I have done it and if you are not careful you will pass out before you get out.  Pete and I have both been thru that experience. Bring lots of water and a maybe even a dust mask. Take pictures of everything.

Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

amelia242424

While I'm there I may also possibly, have access to a DC-8.  Should i measure it as well?

blueskydriver

Be mindful of Black Widow Spiders because old airplanes are great homes for them to reside in...
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

amelia242424

i'll stick with a dc9, i'm not risking it for a dc-8. lol, don't really want a dc8 sim anyway.

Kristin

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate