Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 08:14:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
710 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 762
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 710
Total: 710

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Sound System

Started by Andrew 737, May 16, 2014, 11:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew 737

Hi guys

I am working on my sound system. I was just wondering if the sub would require a 'mono' jack plug rather than the usual stereo plug type?

I am using Mobo sound card on the Sabertooth Z87 Mobo.

I plan to do a 5 channel config - front speakers use a stereo lead, rear use the same. Re the sub, I have never had a separate sub before so I assume I need a mono lead for this?

Thanks
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

PC Specs - 3 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig ram, Samsung Pro 512g & 256g SSD's - 1 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig Ram, Caviar Black HDD With Crucial Adrenaline & 2 x i7 980x @ 3.3, 6gig ram, GTX 580 & Velociraptor HDD's

sagrada737

Working on the "Sound Systems" for a Sim Project can be challenging and rewarding.  I have been experimenting myself with various combinations of hardware/software to get the sound to sync with my 737 Flight Deck in its various modes of operation.

What I settled on thus far, is a "mixing" of sound from the FSX computer, and the sound from the Sim-Avionics (flight model) computer.  For the mixer, I use a basic, low cost 4-channel audio mixer setup.  The output of the Mixer then goes into a low cost Denon 5-channel Home Theater amplifier.  The output from the Denon amplifier goes to five small speakers and a sub-woofer.

The nice thing about this approach is that I can easily balance all the sounds from FSX and Sim-A through the Mixer's capability, as-well-as customize the pre-processed audio "sound effects" with further "audio enhancing" made possible within the capabilities of the Home Theater amplifier.  The home theater amp allows various Genre and weight given to specific speakers in the sound system - especially the sub-woofer output.   Having a good balance for the "Sim Sounds" and their mixture of frequencies, makes all the difference in obtaining a good sense of immersion when operating the Sim.

Regarding the sub-woofer...  I use a compact sub-woofer that is driven by the Denon amplifier via a Y-cable.  One end of the Y-cable goes to the sub-woofer, the other goes to a Audio Shaker amplifier to my ButtKicker tranducer, which is used for creating vibrations induced into the Seats/Flight Controls.  The ButtKicker amplifier has its own controls which allows further customizing and balance within what ends up being the "sound/vibration system" - indeed they go together.

This is what works for me and I truly like the overall effect it gives to the simulation.  Let's see... All I need now is a nice 6dof full-motion system.... 

Best wishes with your project.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Andrew 737

Hi Mike

This is truly great input - thanks muchly.

I am thinking along the same lines here buddy; I have a 3 channel berringer mixer, 2 x thermal quake 1kw transducers, a Cambridge audio 2 channel amp, a reckhorn amp for the transducers and an active sub woofer. Not too dissimilar to you.

I am in the planning stage; the Mobo manual does not give too much away re correct leads etc?

May I ask what outputs you send to the mixer from the PC?

I need to go check if my amp has a low level out put for the sub as that has its own built in amp. I may need a new amp?

Thanks again

Regards and Thanks

Andrew

PC Specs - 3 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig ram, Samsung Pro 512g & 256g SSD's - 1 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig Ram, Caviar Black HDD With Crucial Adrenaline & 2 x i7 980x @ 3.3, 6gig ram, GTX 580 & Velociraptor HDD's

sagrada737

Hi Andrew,

Great minds think alike  ;D

As far as the audio output from both the FSX computer and the Sim-A computer...   I am simply using the standard stereo mini-jack off of a cheap USB Sound device from the FSX computer, and the same from the motherboard on the Sim-A computer.  No specific reason for this - just what I ended up doing.  In any case, you will need to ensure signal/impedance matching/compatibility with the type of Mixer you are using.

The more important consideration may by your Amplifier.  Usually the sub-woofer will have its own amplifier, so the output from the hometheater amp for the sub-woofer is a lower level signal.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Andrew 737

Quote from: sagrada737 on May 17, 2014, 05:36:21 AM
Hi Andrew,

Great minds think alike  ;D

As far as the audio output from both the FSX computer and the Sim-A computer...   I am simply using the standard stereo mini-jack off of a cheap USB Sound device from the FSX computer, and the same from the motherboard on the Sim-A computer.  No specific reason for this - just what I ended up doing.  In any case, you will need to ensure signal/impedance matching/compatibility with the type of Mixer you are using.

The more important consideration may by your Amplifier.  Usually the sub-woofer will have its own amplifier, so the output from the hometheater amp for the sub-woofer is a lower level signal.

Mike

Indeed they do ;)

My Mixer is a Behringer DX626.

I have set up the sub, which has its Amp built in, to run off the sub output on the mobo sound card. In order to do this I had to setup a 5.1 channel config. I am wondering if this type of config will restrict any of the frequency range to any of the other outputs - ie. will my front left & right have the full spectrum now?

Next I want to run the front left & right mobo output to the mixer, hoping this can be split to the speakers and both tactile transducers via their corresponding amps.

That leaves two inputs on the mixer for Avionics and an ancillary PC. (cabin announcements).

I will let you know how it pans out.

Thank you so much for the heads up Mike, it made things more transparent for me.
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate