Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 02:08:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
262 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 509
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 262
Total: 262

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Help please gents in the disassembling of my 737 TQ.

Started by scojj, June 15, 2015, 11:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scojj

Good evening.

I am disassembling my 737-400 TQ to convert it.
Things are going well untill now.

I have now to remove the central axis, which holds the thrust levers, speedbrake and flap levers.
So I have to remove a kind of nut at the end of it, without damaging it.
You can see it with the red arrow in the picture.

I don't know what tool to use for that .

Can you tell (or show me in a picture) what tool you used , for those who already have done it ?

Thank you very much and best regards.

quid246

Probably a special Boeing tool... but hopefully one of their TQ pioneers on here can chime in.

Not sure why you need to remove the central axis to convert it, unless you are using some unorthodox method.  If you are using the tried and true ways, no need to dig that deep.

scojj

I would like to disassemble completely to understand completely how it works.

Also the trim position indicators are on this axis and are freezed for a reason I need to discover.

And lastly I need to disasemble to remove everything that is not needed for simulation purpose (electric wires,...) that will be more easy to remove once disasembled, and also to clean all that deeply.

quid246

Hopefully one of the other members who have completely taken their TQ apart will chime in... I cleaned mine out, that was good enough for me.

FredK

That will screw off.  I had to fashion a make-shift tool out of a metal bar to get it off.

See picture.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

mickc

You will need to hold the other end while removing that nut too, also as you remove the centre shaft, slide a large wooden rod in at the same time, this will catch all the washers, spacers and bearings in the correct position. 
The first time I did one, they all ended up in a pile at the bottom of the TQ  ::) ::

scojj

simzation

Hi there,

"Also the trim position indicators are on this axis and are freezed for a reason I need to discover."

The trim position indicator is normally operated by a cable which is turned by the big cable drum located under the floor of the flight deck. If you look inside the TQ you can see a piece of metal where this cable is attached to. If you are able to rotate that cable, you'll see the trim position indicator moving.

I have attached a picture of the cable drum with the trim position indicator cable attached to it.

Good luck.

Boy Bruin

scojj

Thank you !

That's the kind of things I hope to better understand by disassembling more the TQ.

Best regards (and btw, the NG pedestal has been very nnicely fitted with CPFlight modules! Thanks again).

tkellogg

Here is a link to my website that shows my throttle quadrant conversion. Thought it might be a help to you.

www.creativesimulations.com/Throttle%20Quadrant.htm

scojj

Thank you very much.
You are a GOD for me, and I already know you site. It has already been very helpfull to me ;)
One of the reason is you transformation from the classic style to the NG style (thrust levers and stab trim switches).

But we don't have TQs from the same generation (I can see that from some details) and for the exact point of removing the nut locking the central axis, your TQ is different from mine.

Thank you again and best regards.

quid246

Yes the TQ in tkellog's website is from a -200 though it did appear in some launch/early-model -300s AFAIK.

tkellogg

That explains why I didn't recognize the nut on the central axis. I admire your courage. Taking apart a throttle quadrant from a 737 is no small project and not to be undertaken by the faint of heart. I do open heart anesthesia for a living and that's a piece of cake compared to tearing down and putting a 737 throttle back together again. I would also take lot's of pictures during the process. If you're like me it may be months before you reassemble the throttle. The pictures refresh your memory on what goes where if you tend to forget. Unfortunately I didn't take enough and 3/4ths of the way through the reassemble I noticed a few parts that I had left out so I had to take it apart and reassemble. I used words I haven't used since I was in the Navy 38 years ago. Best of luck and have fun.

scojj

Hi Thomas,

Thank you very much for your sympathy.
You are so right about so much.

I took much pictures of every screw and every plate,  to remember where it goes, and the TQ is not yet completeley disasembled...
I will have a complete family picture album ... ;)

What you say is very interresting.
A very complex but very organised procedure is more easy than something looking as more simple but not organised...
Every complex procedure as cardiac anesthesia or ECC can be understood as a succession of single simple acts that, if executed with method and knowledge, become a symphony.

Whereas disassembling a TQ without method can become quickly a cacophony... ;)

And the main concern is having fun !

idj4

Sorry, I know this post is 4 months old now but I have only just joined... In regards to the original question, maybe something like a 'C Spanner' will remove it. Might help for future posts for the same thing..

Keep Well..  Ian

Masterploxis

Hello,

my 2cents:
There is no need to remove the central axis if a 737 TQ. You are able to motorize everything without removing the central axis....

If course if you want to clean everything or have a mechnical problem you can take everything apart - put to use it as normal TQ in the Sim... I would not take the risk...

Cheers
Andy
www.masterploxis.de

gufau

Hello scojj,

I come out this topic to take information on the progress of your project ... I always have mine to implement
Did you finish dismantling and cleaning the parts?
If it were to start again, would you do it the same way?

mickc

Quote from: gufau on February 23, 2018, 11:41:57 PM
Hello scojj,

I come out this topic to take information on the progress of your project ... I always have mine to implement
Did you finish dismantling and cleaning the parts?
If it were to start again, would you do it the same way?
Not speaking for Scojj, but I can provide some info by PM if needed.

I took mine down to nothing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate