Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 04:34:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
741 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 741
Total: 741

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

FDS shell and simworld hardware

Started by Skysurfer170, December 08, 2015, 10:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skysurfer170

Hi peeps! I'm pretty much got my sights set on simworld to fill my NG shell. Question is will simworld hardware, MIP, both overheads be compatible with FDS shell? Or am i best sticking with FlyBy cockpits advanced liner shell which simworld and FBC are joint partners.

Just the FDS shell and linear package is cheaper i think its only £2700 but not sure of FBC price still to hear back.

m0ng00se

All I know, the FDS 737 MIP itself is not too scale and I am pretty sure the Simworld MIP is .. I guess FDS designed the shell around their MIP, but I am pretty sure you can make it fit .. not sure though ;)
My interwebs page full of 737 related thingymebobs : https://www.facebook.com/sum1els737

Skysurfer170

I've still to hear back from Flybycockpits of the price and hoping its not much more than the FDS shell. If anyone has simworld built into FDS shell let me know how you done it thanks

jackpilot

Quote from: m0ng00se on December 08, 2015, 01:30:11 PM
All I know, the FDS 737 MIP itself is not too scale and I am pretty sure the Simworld MIP is ..

Unless you have access to Boeing Blueprints (highly improbable) no one is perfect 100% scale..
Even then, vendors have to factor in monitors fitting which has been an issue since day one, for all manufacturers.
The necessary variations are often a matter of a few mm anyway and the ultimate criteria is that real 737 parts fit perfectly where they are supposed to. Which is the case with  high quality MIPs.

Jack

Jack

Skysurfer170

Hi jack you are very correct. Nothing is perfect like the real one we just got to do our best. I'm settling for FlyBycockpits basic line and simworld to fill it :)

m0ng00se

Quote from: jackpilot on December 09, 2015, 08:02:13 AM
Quote from: m0ng00se on December 08, 2015, 01:30:11 PM
All I know, the FDS 737 MIP itself is not too scale and I am pretty sure the Simworld MIP is ..

Unless you have access to Boeing Blueprints (highly improbable) no one is perfect 100% scale..
Even then, vendors have to factor in monitors fitting which has been an issue since day one, for all manufacturers.
The necessary variations are often a matter of a few mm anyway and the ultimate criteria is that real 737 parts fit perfectly where they are supposed to. Which is the case with  high quality MIPs.

Jack

... but FDS is out way more than a few mm  ... at least on the MIP i've seen.
My interwebs page full of 737 related thingymebobs : https://www.facebook.com/sum1els737

Sam Llorca

I can tell you in a few days, I just got my Simworld MCP and EFIS to mount them on an FDS glareshield, that's going to be fun!

blueskydriver

Hey Sam,

What were you using and why are you switching?

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Trevor Hale

Hey John,  He was using an FDS MCP/EFIS.  But the FO Course Rotary stopped working and the Speed Rotary Also Jumps around and won't hold a speed.  The Captian Rotary started doing the same thing at worldflight, and also the Altitude setting on the EFIS.

No Matter what software we ran, the issue existed.

Replacing the Units with a Simworld Setup, will correct the issues.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

blueskydriver

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Skysurfer170

Why can't he get it replaced by FDS if its under warranty?

Sam Llorca

The warranty on all my FDS stuff expired long time ago, long story,  let's just say I'm very happy with the hardware  changes and software improvements.

Simworld MCP and EFIS are 1/2" wider than FDS with mounting housing and all, the front panel is a couple of mm wider,  I may have to do surgery on the glareshield to make it fit.

Cheers!

Sam Llorca

Sorry John, I didn't see your post, but Trev answer it perfect with all the details, Thanks Trev!

Also I'm trying to eliminate as many USB connections as I can and with the Simworld simbox can controller is one USB to the computer with all the gauges, MCP, EFIS, lightning dimmers etc, much simpler and reliable.

Cheers!

blueskydriver

Sam,

Thanks for replying, and I don't mean to hijack the original theme here, but may I ask if you were using the G2 card or G3? I know the G2 would cause funny things too happen on the MCP when using ProSim737. I found that by selecting the FDS G3 selection in Prosim the problems show up, but with no selection it works just fine (the G2 card). Back a couple years ago the guys at ProSim wrote in the code for the G2 that is native, no need for special addons or seperate programs...

Best Regards,

John

Sam Llorca

Hi John,

I was using the FDS G3, it was not Prosim because like Trev said we had the same problems with Sim-A back at the beginning of the year. The MCP was slowly deteriorating, it all started with the F/O course selector and so on.

To my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, Prosim and FDS are now working together, I imagine they have access to all FDS hardware to develop suitable drivers for it.

I'm using Prosim latest update,

Hope this answers your reply,

Best regards,

jfuenmayor

Hi

Just a note, I also had to do some adjustments to my FDS glareshield to fit the
CP flight MCP Pro and EFIS units, I wish that the Simworld MCP  had been out at that time.
The only thing I had to do was to move the glarewings laterally a bit, this could pose a problem for the enclosure depending on what one it is. I had the G2 unit that is now sitting idle somewhere. It should  not be too much of a problem for a seasoned builder :). One thing I have learned is that improvements are always there to keep us busy, and to lean the bank account.

Joaquin

Ridgenj

Quote from: jfuenmayor on December 16, 2015, 08:26:26 AM
The only thing I had to do was to move the glarewings laterally a bit, this could pose a problem for the enclosure depending on what one it is.

Thanks Joaquin, did you use the SimWorld enclosure?
Cheers

luis

jfuenmayor

Hi everyone

Nope, as I said before, I wish the Simworld hardware had been out when I first set up my Sim. The first generation FDS DSDT was a bit smaller than the latest one but I am not sure how accurate it is compared to the actual aircraft. As a matter of fact, my enclosure was custom made and I admit,  not very good, so now I am back to bare bones, so I am waiting for Sam's experience to see what to do about a new one. I am not sure what kind of enclosure he uses but certainly his solution will help many of us make decisions. I hope i have been within the confines of the original post, sometimes one gets carried away and unintentionally hijacks it :).

Joaquin.

Ridgenj

Thanks Joaquin, it is for sure that we will not see an enclosure coming from FDS. I have the CanBus gauges for the OVH and if I get the SW MCP/EFIS, I have to pay 50% of the price to upgrade the CanBox that has not even been used yet. :huh:

Cheers
Luis

Sam Llorca

Hi guys, surgery on my FDS glareshield started last night to be able to fit Simworld MCP.
Wish me luck,  pictures coming.
Cheers!

Ridgenj

Good luck Sam, are you using the casing that is offered with the  MCP/EFIS. Do you have the canbus Gauges too? I started to build my Sismo aft OVH and see there, their own "ready to use" modules, don't fit. I will bite the bullet and will get one from another vendor.

My MIP will be a FDS one, no doubt about it. I have the CP Flight MCP/EFIS Pro but just want to build ones and had a pending order with SimWorld but now not sure and I am waiting to see the new FDS line.

Cheers
Luis

Sam Llorca

Hi Luis,

Looking good so far, there was no way for me to fit the frame that Simworld supplied with their MCP on my glare without removing a bunch of stuff, so I opted for removing all the FDS electronics inside their MCP and Installing the Simworld MCP on its frame, a few metal cutting here and there, it required some fabrication but not so difficult that no cockpit builder can not do.

I've been using the SIMBOX CAN modules for a while now on the Forward and Aft Overheads, if everything keep coming according to plans I should be able to get it up on the Sim later tonight, having a few issues with how to connect it to my existing wiring but it should be ok.

cheers!

Trevor Hale

Looks like a lot of work Sam, but I cant wait to hear how it works and feels. Common Worldflight. Hope it gets here  soon.  I want to try that thing out.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Sam Llorca

Look like a lot of work but it took me like 6 hours because I was going very slow and careful not to mess up the FDS casing, I love fabrication work,  now I'm just waiting on instructions on where to hook up the new data wire into the existing one,  instructions are not to clear for an existing setup,  very clear if it is a new setup.

Thanks Trev,  can't wait to see how it works.

And I think I still have a short somewhere on the frame, I may have to ground the the whole thing.

Cheers!

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate