Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 11:36:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
723 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 723
Total: 723

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

New Map Lights

Started by jackpilot, March 04, 2016, 11:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpilot

Got them today from FDS

Heavy all metal feel, 12V high intensity LED,  and actually "better" than the real ones I had before,  which needed heavy wiring and were a major source of heat (12V automotive  bulbs).
Happy camper

(My camera does not render their exact Boeing grey color)

Jack

737man

What was the price for 2?

jackpilot

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5551
Times 2.
I had the real ones and let them go because of overheat, wattage and only fair performance.

Jack

jfuenmayor

Hi to all.

I can see that these are a recent version. I have the old ones that came painted in black, not Boeing Grey. Do these ones have adjustable beam width? . To me that is the key issue. I went from the FDS's to the real ones just because of that.

I agree on the heat problem, I had a fire due to a narrow cable, I was fortunate because I was testing it, and it was not fixed to the overhead  when it happened.  It was quite easy to put it out.

JF

jackpilot

The high intensity led projects a very "clean" beam (a bit like the amazing new led torch lights ) .
I tried one in the cockpit and it lights up a very precise circle (as opposed to diffused) which , IMHO makes the adjustable lens (shutter system) unnecessary.
The only thing I will add is an orange lens (acetate film) which increases the contrast of the print, (as used on many airliners).

At one point I contemplated using a HI-LED in the real ones but it turned out pretty difficult to align the source of light with the lens, improvising small brackets ..etc and as the real ones EBay prices are comparable to these repros, I sold them and switched.

Just add a LED dimmer and you're in business.
High Intensity LEDs are the way to go vs incandescent in a sim (safety)
I will install them ASAP and post pics.
Jack

Jack

jfuenmayor

I agree with you on the safety issue 100 %.

After you have them installed, see if you can get a picture of one of them inaction. ;)

jackpilot

Jack

jfuenmayor

jackpilot

Follow up on the Map Lights:

Get the eyebrow off and drill a neat hole with a hole saw and make a small indent (dremmel) for the wire

Position the supplied backplate and drill the eyebrow through  the four holes around the opening
(use a mini drill first as a template, as the backplate holes are threaded, then use a bigger one)

Fasten the map light

Plan your switches position and wiring + dimmer if you use one.
I opted for an Overhead switch plate as a personal choice

Made the switch plate from an old 747 Ebay plate, resized and repainted.
Could be better but good enough for the time being ..lol

Map light in position

First test :The intensity is perfect without dimmer (Too bright is the picture only)

I will add orange lenses which helps for contrast.

Happy camper.

Jack

KyleH

Nice Jack.

How tight is the beam?
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

jackpilot

I would say  a foot ½ on the knees
I was recently on a 747 in approach at night and the maps gave a similar beam on a dim orange light , which is what I want to get with a colored lens, as reading is much crispier with a filter of that color, and one is not blinded by a sharp intense beam. Has to be all subtle as you are in night vision mode.

We tend to forget that we cant get daylight ambiance in our sims, especially with projectors and need overly bright lighting to compensate.
Map lights are only used at night, not in a dark sim cockpit flying in sim daylight.

Did I say that?   ???

Ok forget about it   :D
Great map lights!

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate