Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 07:53:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
722 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 722
Total: 722

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Help with real Gables radios and fs9

Started by lasseh, March 28, 2016, 03:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lasseh

Hello

I'm building a 727 but unfortunately I'm not experienced in writing/scripting or anything that has to do with programming! :/ However I'm quite optimistic that I will somehow get my old gables nav/com radios to work with fs9. They are already wired and connected via the Leo Bodnar card, and each frequency is recognized as a combination of button presses. So far so good! :)

But the real struggle begins when I have to program the button combinations as frequencies in fs9. I have successfully written a few lines in fsuioc.ini - just to get myself familiar with the language - and actually managed to program the entire frequency band for the nav radio. But it took forever, and I had to write an actual line for each frequency, so you can imagine how long that woul take if I had to do that for two nav radios plus two com radios!

So I figured there might be another way around this.. Something similar to what to Chek DC9 guys have done with their gables radios, but that's for fax and I'm still with Fs9.

Any inputs will be very much appreciated! :)

Here's a little preview of the various parts, not yet a permanent setup, but this will do for now!

727737Nut

To bad you cut into the original wiring.  Could have help you out for less than 50.00 you would have had a working set of 4 radios and ATC /transponder radio. On one little arduino no less.  :(

Rob
737 Junkie

lasseh

Hi Rob

I have got two extra radios like this one with all the original wiring! How will the arduino do the work?

727737Nut

Get the schematics from Gabels, On them you will see the switch output matrix.  Usually 10 to 14 wires are all that is needed to give you the frequency combinations. You use that info for the code in the arduino, very short example, if switch a and b  com1 hundreds =1 if switch a and c , com1 Tens = 2 so on and so forth.  Using a centipede shield and an arduino you get 70+ inputs for and full control for less than 50.00
737 Junkie

xplanematt

Ditto what Rob said. If you get the pinouts from Gables, you don't have to modify those gorgeous works of engineering art. If, OTOH, the wires are cut, you're faced with finding out which wires are the commons (not impossible, but WAY harder than just using the unit as it was designed). Basically the "tuners" are big switches. For a given set of digits, you'll have one common pin, and a bunch of other pins that each will be in one of two states depending on what frequency you have selected: 1. Open, or 2. Connected to the common pin. You can use Gables' truth tables to work out which wire should be high or low for which frequency, but the way I do it is run all the commons to my Arduino common (ground, typically), then read each group of pins that corresponds to a set of digits. I generate a string of 1s and 0s (1 being HIGH/connected, 0 being LOW/open of course) as I sequentially scan each Gables pin as an input in my code. Then I just sit down and tune every frequency individually, recording the resulting string in a lookup table. Once the code is done, I know what frequency is tuned by comparing the current string of inputs to my lookup table. Easy stuff...just lots of wiring. :) Rob and I have both done this, without hacking up the radios. I did the nav/comms of a real 737-200 cockpit like this....stuck my Arduino and Centipede shields inside an old PC power supply case, and used D-bus connectors to hook everything up. The sim builder tucked my interface box inside the throttle quadrant, a single USB connector goes from here to his main PC that runs his other USB gear. Neat and clean.

Matt

lasseh

Thanks a lot for all your input everyone!
I'll give it a try, and keep you updated here whenever I have some results. :)

Once again, thank you! :)

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate