Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:49:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
489 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 392
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 489
Total: 489

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

A330 Simulator Downunder (Under Construction)

Started by 320Simmer, July 25, 2016, 02:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

320Simmer

Hi everyone. I joined Cockpitbuilders.com because I want to build a simulator! Nothing odd about that I hope? Saying it out loud (or via a keyboard) is the easy part. The hard part is yet before me.

Actually, there are two of us that are building the sim. My friend and best buddy are building an A330 simulator under his house. We want to build a realistic, working A330 flight deck. We are in the very early stages and all we have now are a few (large) computer screens for the scenery and a couple of smaller screens for instruments. We also have a few different computers handy. Some computers with high end graphic cards and some fairly low spec computers that could drive an instrument screen or two. We have most of the measurements and have a design on paper at least for the panels and windows and general cockpit setup.

We want to get the software setup correct before committing to the physical build. This is the hard part (for us at least). We are good at manufacturing hardware, but novices at software.

We are exploring both FSX and X-Plane and are tossing up on which program to use for the simulator. We are exploring the add-ons and capabilities of each program and as we progress we have more questions than answers so far. From our reading and research, there isn't a lot out there on A330s. Most home builds are 737s and A320s with a smattering of 747 and 777 simulators. That's why we decided on an A330. Not that it would be easy, so it would be hard!

We have combined expertise in electronics, electrical manufacturing, aircraft manufacture and maintenance and one of us has a pilot's licence. Sadly however, we are lacking expertise in the software and computer setup department but are raring to give it a red hot go.

We both have full time jobs and understanding wives. A great combination which I think you will all agree.

We will be asking lots of questions and sharing our progress. So please be gentle if we ask some "dumb" questions.

Cheers, Mark and Waz.
Sydney, Australia.

Nat Crea

GDay Mark,

"Good Luck" in every sense of the word :)

I can understand you want a challenge with the A330...but dont right off the A320 so easily.
There is so much hardware and software out there, building an A320 will be fun believe me,
and most importantly....realistic.
A working/flying A320 is better than a half built/non flying A330 if you know what I mean.
Just a thought...

Nat

MCrevot

Hi Mark and Was,

i have à A320-like sim, with just one seat (lack of place), and 3 views on a 180 degres screen.
It took me 3 full years to build it : all the instruments, devices and panels, the shell, and the screen.
But the A320 add-on was already available, the A320 FMGS from Jeehell, a great piece of software.

It seems you have almost all the necessary skills, except for the software ; allow me to give you a strong advice : if you don't have the A330 add-on, you have to think twice or more, because even for a good software engineer with all the avionic knowledge the development of that software is a matter of a few years ...

The airbus planes, as, i guess, the boeing ones,  are fairly complicated to simulate, and you must keep realist (i am also very ambitious, but i know many projects that never ended). A A320 sim is already a very chalenging project if you aim to build everything by yourself, and it will bring you a lot of satisfaction ! (and so many issues !).

Welcome  :), have a lot of fun, and don't hesitate, there are no bad questions ...

Michel
ps : i apologize for the english !
my website : http://www.mya320sim.com
7700k, 4790k, 2600k, P3Dv4 and A320 FMGS, 3 views on 3 vdp with wideview, 180 deg screen

kingchiro

I couldn't help but chip in here.
I think Michel is on the right track with advice. I have a Learjet 45 cockpit that should be hopefully as good as finished by the end of the the year. I started in 2011 !! Do you guys have that sort of dedication ?
We all start off keen, then find that things don't happen quickly, unfortunately, which may make your enthusiasm wane.

To illustrate the reality. Here in Australia ( I'm in Victoria) you are limited by access to any instrument parts depending on how authentic you want the A330 to be. If you have to order parts overseas AND YOU WILL, you will have an exchange rate that will add 25% to the cost and as anyone will attest the cost of international postage (which is outrageous) on top of that. You will often find the postage is more than the actual item.
As for your two pilot seats good luck with that ! My seats came for Chicago when the exchange rate was $1.10. I wouldn't dream of getting them now.
Your wives will be keen to a point, but when the money is getting depleted and the gardening and general maintenance jobs are neglected they will turn on you in a blink of an eye.

I am not here to talk you out of it, just to give you a bit of reality. It is one of the best things I have ever done and love it. So if you have your eyes open, cheque books open and great friendship, then go for it.

Lastly I would also agree re; A330/320, that re-inventing the wheel is not always smart. If the A320 is cheaper and easier access to parts then seriously consider that. Ultimately you want to fly, so the sooner you are, it will all be worth it. It also does not have to be your last sim you build.

Mark

a340-th

Hmmm,

posting here for the first time, but cannot resist in this case.

I have been building an A340 cockpit for ages - reasons for not finishing it are many, health being the major one lately. I do however have some experience and opinions with simulating Airbus.

When thinking about the Airbus family many forget that the cockpits across A318 - 321 and 330 are very similar - the main differences are the models behind. In spite of having an A340 pit with a 4 4 engine TQ I am mainly flying 330's and 320's nowadays. OK, very little on my overhead is working (just the lights) so I do not have issues there.

In my opinion, there are two main issues that you need to think of as far as software is concerned:

A) the flight model(s). Unfortunately, there is nothing like PDMG on the market for the airbus. The only really good  simulation (for the 318 - 320) is the Aerosoft one, but that one is not suitable for cockpit builders (as least as far as I know, I have tried to work with it but was not successful). The will bring out a 330 in the next couple of months but it will again be not intended for cockpit builders.
So, you will be left with CLS and some freeware models for the 330/340 and project airbus for the 320. Forget about WILCO.... Of course all those cockpits are not useable for cockpit builders and that brings you to

B) the cockpit software.... To my knowledge, today, there is Jeehell, which works with the 320 and only the 320 and which is free. AST is, as far as I know dead, but that one also only worked for the 320. The one left is Project Magenta which will work with all Airbus versions (not the 350 or 380, at least not now), up to the 340-600. I do not know how much PM costs nowadays, I started off with it in 1999 when it was in its infancy. You would have to inquire.

Do not let yourselves be talked out of your dream for the 330 so easily, in the end the cockpit hardware is more or less the same for either one. I have a MCDU from FDS and the FCU/EFIS from CPflight, they are the same in an A320 or an A330/340. Major displays in the cockpit are mostly identical. Slight difference in the TQ. If you talk nicely to him, Gwynn in Perth might even build you one. There are some differences in the overhead but nothing major. I have always maintained that one of the main advantages of building an Airbus cockpit is that in the end you can fly the whole range (except if you are an absolute purist, of course)

As far as computer hardware is concerned, I am now running a I7 6700k (at 4.4 GHz) with 2 x 980Ti for 3 x 55 " screens as my main P3D scenery display machine. PM (for cockpit displays, MCDU and FCU/EFIS) runs on two networked low power computers.

One final word: If starting from fresh I would definitely go for P3D.

All the above are obviously just my 2 cents....

a340-th

double post, sorry

jackpilot

It seems that Prosim is on its way to launch an A320 complete avionics package.
Good news for the Airbus crowd.

The avionics and flight model (should be one coming with package) are the "heart" of a sim. Even if they seem expensive at some 500-1000 $ they make the difference between a "game" and a "flight simulator".
The rest is just MDF, aluminum, polycarbonate..etc and up to your skills and wallet.

PMDG, Aerosoft and the likes are excellent pieces of software but they are not intended to be used within a fully interfaced cockpit.
Avionics software like Jeehell, PM and now Prosim are !
:2cw:

Jack

Aerosim Solutions

Good to see you here Erhard, welcome!!

Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

320Simmer

Thanks to all that have replied and your encouragement.

At this stage we are looking at X-Plane and PM to run the sim. We've looked at FSX and will consider P3D. Our server is up an running three large screens with a triplehead2go for the visuals. Looking at using NUCs for the client computers to run both Capt and F/Os ND and PFD, E/WD, SD, instructor displays and panels. FMCDUs run by software at this stage. NUCs are cheap, low power clients that have enough grunt to run basic displays in HD.

This list of things to do goes on.

As mentioned above, cross cockpit similarities in the Airbus fleet make switching between types easier.

FWIW, PM Airbus suite and instructor station software quoted at around 400 Euro.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate