Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:58:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
504 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 505
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 504
Total: 504

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

FlightIllusion 737 Standby Gauges Set with Smaller Upper EICAS monitor...

Started by sagrada737, September 14, 2016, 02:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

I finished installation of the FlightIllusion B737 Standby gauge set for my FDS MIP.   To do this, I had to remove the larger FDS EICAS display monitor, and install a smaller 10.4" LCD display monitor.  The photos show the installation configuration.  I like the dynamic that the FlightIllusion standby gauges add to flying the Sim.   The smaller LCD display monitor is still quite large enough so the EICAS display looks nice. 

I bought the 10.4" LCD monitor (~$100) on EBay from a Chinese supplier, which provided prompt delivery.  The viewing angle on this little LCD monitor is very good from both the CA and FO side of the flight deck.  I made a custom mounting adapter for the LCD display, which is mounted to the FDS angle bracket.  It all fits nicely, and adds a nice operational touch to the MIP.  The FlightIllusion gauges use a FI GSA-55 controller card that interfaces with P3D.  The standby gauge set is pretty much plug and play, although I did re-calibrate the RMI Compass card for more accuracy.  I also use the FlightIllusion Overhead gauge set, which works well.

This was a fun little project and it only took a couple of days to complete.

Mike

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

XOrionFE

rs3tier

Hi

It does look good. this has been on my todo list for a while, I don't suppose you have a link to the monitor supplier?

Regards,

sagrada737

Regarding sources for the 10.4" LCD monitor kit...

There are many suppliers for these types of monitors.  The exact one I chose can be purchased here on EBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-AV-Driver-board-10-4inch-A104SN03-800-600-4-3-TFT-lcd-display-color-tft-/180844095575?hash=item2a1b25e857:g:1psAAMXQLs5RrMul

This particular version has a smaller electronics controller, which makes fitting the assemblies less difficult.  Some versions will have an additional card that has the high voltage unit for the display.  Although the specs state that it was 800 x 600, it was actually 1024 x 768, which worked out much better for my application.  There are full Brightness and Contrast adjustments to dial in the best look when installed in the MIP.

One thing to be aware of is that the viewing angle on some of these displays is designed for a "laptop" kind of application, so it is best to orient the display in its native upright landscape position, which gives the best lateral viewing from both the CA and FO positions.   If you orient the display in the vertical position, it may not yield a good view on one side of the cockpit.

Also, the availability of these LCD kits is good, so you should not have any problem finding a suitable unit from any number of suppliers.
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

rs3tier

Thanks for the info.  I did find a few, at quite different price points though so I like the idea of grabbing one that someone has already had some success with.

Regards,
Rob

sagrada737

One more thing on the "open frame" LCD monitors...   Some of these have a separate circuit card for the high-voltage power supply for the display backlighting.   These need to me mounted with great care so they don't electrically short circuit with other systems.   Also, shielding the electronics may be necessary to help eliminate radiated emissions, which may cause flickering on the LCD screen or associated displays. 

LCD displays like the 10.4" monitor mentioned do not have this high-voltage power supply card, and I have not had any issues with screen anomalies due to the open electronics.  On the 10.4" LCD monitor I mentioned, I simply used non-conductive tape to cover the back of the LCD screen, then taped the video controller card to the back of the LCD screen - Gorilla tape works well as it is thick and stick to almost anything.

Also, depending on your display requirement, eg. Upper EICAS, you may need a bezel cover to the open areas of the smaller display size.   This can easily be done using a think paper - matte black works well.

Mike

mikeybear

If you're willing to go a little smaller , Ipad2 screens are 9.7" LED back lit , so no more high voltage, and 1024x768 , I'm driving one of these with a
chinese driver card bought off ebay ,cost me around $120 for the ipad screen from the UK and driver from China off Ebay.

Regards

Dave

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate