Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:31:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
506 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 504
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 506
Total: 506

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Backlit Knobs Source?

Started by MistyBlue, August 04, 2017, 08:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MistyBlue

Anyone have a current good source of back-lit 737 knobs besides Flightdeck Solutions?  I need some for the overhead that FDS doesn't carry but all my sources sell solid knobs, not back-lit, and past sources are no longer in business.

Thanks!
Tony

bernard S

honeywell, korry, easterling... but then i am good at spending other peoples money lol

737NGer

Quote from: MistyBlue on August 04, 2017, 08:20:25 AM
Anyone have a current good source of back-lit 737 knobs besides Flightdeck Solutions?  I need some for the overhead that FDS doesn't carry but all my sources sell solid knobs, not back-lit, and past sources are no longer in business.

Thanks!
Tony

Most knobs on the 737 aren't backlit. The only ones which are backlit are on the Electrical Meter Panel. These are manufactured by Korry I think (Not too sure.)

MistyBlue

Quote from: bernard S on August 04, 2017, 08:38:15 AM
honeywell, korry, easterling... but then i am good at spending other peoples money lol

Goes both ways, Bernard  ;D

Quote from: 737NGer on August 04, 2017, 09:08:47 AM
Most knobs on the 737 aren't backlit. The only ones which are backlit are on the Electrical Meter Panel. These are manufactured by Korry I think (Not too sure.)

Hmm, may want to double-check your source.  Far as I'm aware, just about every knob with a stripe on it is back-lit.  But to be sure, I checked against my PMDG 737 and confirmed that is the case.  Very few aren't lit.

737NGer

Quote from: MistyBlue on August 04, 2017, 09:21:23 AM
Quote from: bernard S on August 04, 2017, 08:38:15 AM

Goes both ways, Bernard  ;D

Quote from: 737NGer on August 04, 2017, 09:08:47 AM

Hmm, may want to double-check your source.  Far as I'm aware, just about every knob with a stripe on it is back-lit.  But to be sure, I checked against my PMDG 737 and confirmed that is the case.  Very few aren't lit.

Trust me, I thought the same when I started this project, but from all the images of real cockpits, there are only two backlit knobs in the cockpit
which are on the metering panel.

MistyBlue

Intriguing.  Going to have to do a little more research on this now I guess.

mickc

The PMDG is very inaccurate with the backlighting, they just literally lit up everything!
For example the RMI & Stby Altimeter/ASI knobs are lit up, the AFDS test switches, even the sticker above the standby compass & oxy mask panels.

As for the knobs, Youssef is correct, they are not all backlit, but the are a couple that are on the overheads:
Elec metering panel (as already mentioned)
Pressurization Auto/Man/Altn selector
Fuel Crossfeed
IRS Display knobs & keys
IRS selectors

That being said, all the knobs with pointers are translucent and can be backlit, they just arent.

mickc

To follow up, if you want the real knobs, they can be obtained through most aviation parts brokers, nearly all are made by Korry/Esterline but they no longer sell direct so you need to use an FAA registered parts supplier.

These are the part numbers for the overhead knobs, prices are per unit in USD.
Bear in mind i bought all these and all the knobs for the MIP & Throttle at the same time, so the prices reflect a bulk purchase.  One off knobs would have a higher cost. 
Total for all the new OEM knobs in the cockpit was close to 3k USD

GP043-102 General knob - Set screws at the front   $55
GP043-162 As above but set screws from behind      $68  (used on Nav source selector, DU selectors and MIP/Pedestal panel light controls)
GP119-118 IRS Selector                       $58
GP043-153 Press mode selector                    $61
533-043-18 Elec Metering panel                     $52
RD791-101 Land Alt control                    $92
RD681-103 Flt Alt Control                            $87
533-073-05 Fuel Crossfeed                            $109
RC446-144 Lower MIP - DU Brightness-Single       $88
RD240-155 Lower MIP - DU Brightness-Outer (DU Brt)      $78
RD238-214 Lower MIP - DU Brightness-Inner (WX/TERR Brt)   $76

ifeliciano

Who's a good source to buy the original knobs in the US? I asked the Airline Historical Society, but they usually dont come across loose knobs.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate