Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 04:00:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
261 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 509
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 261
Total: 261

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Where to order custom metal rod with predrilled holes.

Started by kurt-olsson, November 06, 2017, 10:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt-olsson

Hi.

I need a metal rod/tube for my yoke conversion.
Are there any online stores i can order from.
I need the rod to be 33mm diameter and 15cm long with two predrilled holes.

By the way, all of you who have converted OEM yokes, what are the size of the diameter of the rod thats going into the yokes?

XOrionFE

Peter, what you need to do is get yourself a digital micrometer and you can measure your own directly.    You really don't want to get a pre-made rod at 33mm.   You want a really precise fit.  In my case I had a sleeve that goes over the existing downtube with a very precise (almost pressed on fit).   Craig mentioned his going on the inside and pressed in...again, a very precise fit.   You would be wanting something machined to fit yours precisely.  A mm is not precise...

You need a micrometer and you need to find a local custom machine shop.   Take your measurement to them and have them machine the rods for you.   Probably wont be overly expensive in the grand scheme (keep in mind your overall sim when done is going to cost you as much as a descent automobile.....

Scott

kurt-olsson

Thank you Scott! I was not sure how to get an exact measurement. I will get a micrometer straight away. I would like to not having to tap the rod in, bug being able to slide it in. This is because i am afraid of doing something wrong and never be able to get it out.

But the local machine shop should prob be able to help me figure out the diameter once they know how big the column is, measured with micrometer.

bernard S

knew this be your next step ..lol   here is solution   hollow alimuini rod tapered at each end and threaded to accept eye that is adjustable

kurt-olsson

Thanks Bernard.
My current plan is a aluminum rod that has drilled holes that i will use with the allready cutout holes in the column and pulleys. Might miss something but i think this should be enough for it to lock solid.

Will use the OEM bearings aswell to secure the pulleys for stability.

bernard S

it will bend over time    ..crumble is what I mean

XOrionFE

Aluminum is not a good choice

Steel is much better for this job

kurt-olsson

Thanks again. Steel it will be.

i have ordered a plastic tube that will be a prototype first. If it works i will order a custom steeltube.

bernard S

he is wrong plain and simple tapered aluminium with treated end   .. this is why I do not post fo often    i have been there and  got the shirt ... when it come to real and conversions i know what I am taking about    and my sim is All real ..i give up

XOrionFE

Quote from: bernard S on November 10, 2017, 02:38:37 PM
he is wrong plain and simple tapered aluminium with treated end   .. this is why I do not post fo often    i have been there and  got the shirt ... when it come to real and conversions i know what I am taking about    and my sim is All real ..i give up

If you are referring to me and my suggestion of using steel Bernard...there are many ways to skin a cat.   That said...I cannot figure out what the heck any of your posts even mean.  Your writing and spelling is sooooo bad half the time I wonder if you are on crack or something and you are totally uncomprehendable.   

Btw-my sim is working.   I have yet to see anything you have done actually in operation.   I have just seen what has to be a shitload of money spent...

Funny but for all that money and for all of your wisdom....you should be able to make a nice big fat donation to the childrens hospital but I dont see your name up there.   Put your money where your mouth is....

Scott

bernard S

wow   ...money where my.mouth is concerning donations   here ya go recent hurricane damage .. donated aircraft    donated fuel and  donated time flying 6 legs a day for a week .. so yeah i think i paid my dues... and a pc 12 dont cost 5 bucks an hour to operate wanna have a dig at me do it in a pm ..

my sim..what you  want see ? i have had people on this very forum come and fly   if they care to attest to.its operational capabilities then that up to them .

Trevor Hale

I am sure the hurricane relief effort appreciates your help to them. As well as the military folk clearly you bonded with. Good for you. Supporting a cause you believe in.

Too bad you don't support our charity with us.  But that's ok. Like others have posted before. Everyone has their own charitable causes they support.

I am curious though...  which hurricane relief effort was it that you supported? Harvey? Irma? Or was it Katrina? 

Thanks
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

bernard S

Harvey..

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate