Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:33:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
510 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 504
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 510
Total: 510

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Display ideas wanted

Started by barrykensett, December 22, 2017, 11:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barrykensett

I am running a home cockpit using four HD screens. In P3D prior to Version 4 I could get 30 fps with reasonable settings and smooth flying.
Having gone to version 4 I am finding frame rate is now below 20 fps and in scenery below that so is not enjoyable flying. I am temporarily using two screens and getting over 70 fps with higher settings.
My PC is five years old and I would build a new one if I could get higher speeds but I am running at 4.40 with overclocking and looking at processors available they don't seem to have got much faster. There is very little running on the main PC other than FS. I do run Jeehell server on that and I know it is now possible to run that on the network but not sure how much that will do. I plan to try it.
Can anyone give me ideas on which way to go?
You can see my setup here www.a320sim.com
Barry

brianwilliamson

Gooday Barry, just gone through this problem myself.
First problem you have is that PC1 is trying to do a lot of work !!  As you rightly said the the CPU's have not gained much at all over the last number of years. The Video cards have helped a lot with p3D V4.

Have a read of this:
http://www.simforums.com/forums/7th-and-8th-gen-pc-and-windows-7_topic59143.html

I would also look at keeping your FMGS Server off the computers doing your graphics as well, trying to keep video computers as free as possible.

The more video computers running as a slave to the server the better results. Just depends on how much you spend on computers for the video setup.

I am now running 3 new computers with 6700K's and GTX 1070's with nothing on them except P3D and they perform extremely well.

Hope this helps......................Brian W.
3 X 6700K @ 4.4Ghz, W7-64 bit, 3 X GTX 1070-- 3 X Optoma 1020 GT Projectors, Airbus A 320 Flight Sim
plus 3 control computers.

barrykensett

Brian
How are you using 3 computers running P3D? Are you using something like Wideview?
I have offloaded my server onto a laptop and am evaluating what that has gone for me on the main PC.
Barry

brianwilliamson

Gooday Barry.......using the 3 video computers via WideView and using Immersive Display Pro onto a 220 degree screen.

Then using a 4th computer for Server and FMGS, as well as a 5th and 6th computer for all the screens etc ( MCDU's, Nav, Ecam etc).

..............Brian W.
3 X 6700K @ 4.4Ghz, W7-64 bit, 3 X GTX 1070-- 3 X Optoma 1020 GT Projectors, Airbus A 320 Flight Sim

navymustang

Careful you don't go overboard. I have had great success both with my personal sim and professionally with one PC for each projector, a master visual and one additional for displays for a total of five computers.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

brianwilliamson

I used to run 8 computers !!

My 6th only runs RMCDU plus clock, only because I ran out of video connections on Number 5.

I know about running too many Computers   ,,,,!!!!

I wish we could live long enough to see only ONE do the lot.

...........Brian W.

barrykensett

Wow that's a lot of computers! I have reasonsble performance with just three, one running the main display, one doing the instrument panels and MCDU and one doing the hardware interfacing and the other MCDU.
Until P3D v4 I was getting just acceptable frame rates but now it's just unacceptable. I am playing with the laptop running the server but I may ultimately upgrade one of the others to handle server remote from FS PC.
I have no experience of WideFS but I will look at it. Reluctant to go to more than one display PC but I will keep open mind.
Thanks for the chat, very helpful.
Barry

Ridgenj

If you want to have a good immersion experience, a 220 Curved screen is the way to go and this will add one PC per projector. The Image Generators Computers should be identical in hardware and software content. This will give the best results. As a consequence, you will add another 3 PCs to your  current  set-up.
I have an Asus RoG Stix for gamers and definitely is not a good idea for a server. The mobile CPU clock is just too low and a bootleneck  to the 32 gig RAM and the 1080 mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate