Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 10:12:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
507 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 499
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 507
Total: 507

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Projectors / Screen / PC I've fallen down the rabbit hole

Started by Jason L, February 03, 2018, 08:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason L

Hello.
New to the forum, not to the hobby.  I've spent most of the day today looking into this multi-projector setup for my basement cockpit.
My curent PC is an i7-8700k and a GTX1080ti.  I wanted to look into doing a 2 or 3 projector setup to get at least 180 to 210 degree curved screen setup.  I know I'll need to use a program to help with the warping such as Immersive Display, but my main question was can my one PC handle it? Here's mys setup:

PC 1: Prepar3d v4, iFly 737 various FSDT and Flightbeam airports, ORBX NA LC, Vector, Base, and Toposim's Mesh.  Also using UT Live for my AI Traffic.

PC2: AS4+ASCA, My ATC software, and my virtual airline software suite.

I've read so many posts my head hurts.  Many of them are from a few years ago, and I know with v4 a lot has changed, so I'm curious if I'm asking too much and need to look at the big costs of going multiple PC for the displays or not?

As  for projectors, I have access to 2 or 3 1080p short throw projectors.  I also have read that for every 'view' it is a hit on FPS, so can I do this with 2 views factoring in overlap?

So many questions and I'm getting more confused the more I read.  Just want some direction so I can properly plan my screen / room layout etc.

Thanks in advance.

navymustang

You won't have any problem at all setting up two projectors with your equipment.
As an example, I have a 737 cockpit procedures trainer at work that drives 5 LCD screens rom two 1080 cards on a single PC.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

FredK

QuoteHello.
New to the forum, not to the hobby.  I've spent most of the day today looking into this multi-projector setup for my basement cockpit.
My curent PC is an i7-8700k and a GTX1080ti.  I wanted to look into doing a 2 or 3 projector setup to get at least 180 to 210 degree curved screen setup.  I know I'll need to use a program to help with the warping such as Immersive Display, but my main question was can my one PC handle it? Here's mys setup:

PC 1: Prepar3d v4, iFly 737 various FSDT and Flightbeam airports, ORBX NA LC, Vector, Base, and Toposim's Mesh.  Also using UT Live for my AI Traffic.

PC2: AS4+ASCA, My ATC software, and my virtual airline software suite.

I've read so many posts my head hurts.  Many of them are from a few years ago, and I know with v4 a lot has changed, so I'm curious if I'm asking too much and need to look at the big costs of going multiple PC for the displays or not?

As  for projectors, I have access to 2 or 3 1080p short throw projectors.  I also have read that for every 'view' it is a hit on FPS, so can I do this with 2 views factoring in overlap?

So many questions and I'm getting more confused the more I read.  Just want some direction so I can properly plan my screen / room layout etc.

Thanks in advance.

Yes....Reviewing all the historical commentary regarding the use of multiple displays and the related computer hardware is without a doubt mind-spinning.

The short answer is:  YES, you can add additional displays....BUT, it all comes down to how much display performance that are you willing to trade off.

In your case you arguably have the best CPU and GPU combination out there right now for P3Dv4.  You are also running quite a bit of add-on scenery and embellishments including AI aircraft. The result I venture is that even now with your single display / single computer arrangement that you are not maxing out your performance sliders....pretty darn well good but not at the max.  I would also venture that right now you are at or near the max on single core CPU performance....that there is no headroom left at the ceiling there.

So, as you add displays you are essentially adding proportionate work on your CPU that even now for 64-bit P3Dv4 is largely single core limited.  Addition of your warping program will also serve to slightly degrade performance.  That added work will require you to significantly reduce your slider settings and/or remove add-on scenery...you have no excess CPU processing left to handle.  It is that simple.  There is no way that you will get anywhere the performance you currently have with your single computer. 

For some that is an acceptable trade-off, for others it is not.  But that is the way it is right now with how P3D is still so inefficiently coded.

I have a multi-computer WideView setup.  I was hoping to get away from all that extra hardware overhead with the release of of 64-bit P3Dv4.  However I was disappointed to find out that there still is a very significant single core CPU limitation.  (I am running three 8700K/1080Ti computers each overclocked to over 5 ghz for my WV visuals plus one other 7700K as my WV server.)

Fred K

Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

XOrionFE

I have been running P3D on three screens using viewgroups.  Each TV is at 1920x1080 (same as you would drive the projectors at).   I have an i7700 overclocked to 4.5.  32 gig of ram, evga gtx 1080, samsung ssd drives.   My video card slighly overclocked.   I run latest P3D version with all Orbx scenery and airports, REX Texture Direct for all clouds, and runwyas, etc, Active Sky for weather engine.   I run P3d Viewgroups so that I have a 50 degree slice fov on each of the 3 screens for a 150 degree wrap around. (This would look very good on projectors and you could go up to probably 210 with 70 deg each).  I have all my sliders pretty much maxed but not running HDR checkbox.   Traffic for planes about 1/3 and no cars or boats.   I could take screenshots if you want but not tonight.   

My framerates in heavy scenery airports such as KSFO or KSAN can dip down around 12-15 on the ground taxing but not to choppy.  Actually pretty good.  In the air they go way up into the 40-50 range.

With your stuff being better than mine you would be fine I think.   The onlynfactor I dont have with TVs is the overhead of the warping software.  I am not sure if it has an impact or not on performance.....Fred or other projector users would have to tell you if there is any framerate drop when they engage the warping.

Here is a video of mine in Charlotte which is payware scenery and Orbx Global running.  Judge for yourself.

Scott

https://youtu.be/losaZ6SIavs

bravolima

Hello,

start with the basics. First, the dimensions of your visual. Is the visual stable and fairly round? Think of the surface of the Visual. Does your Pit have a shell? Think of it´s shadows on the visual. The width should be at least around 4 m in Diameter. Thext think of the holding device of the beamers. For a 220° visual three beamers are needed, think of a stable but movable construction on the ceiling for testing. How high is your room? Btw Pixelwix offers a software for planing projection, not a cheap thing, but might be helpfull in narrow sites. Do you want a 180° or 220°?  If you have this items sort out, then look for a warping software. Actually the offers range in more or less nearly the same level. Immersive Display Pro with Calibration pro momentarily has the lead and there are good video tutorials around (look for Mats Erikkson von YouTube). They are very helpful.
If you are in the rabbit hole start to grab, you'll find a way out. That's normal....

regards
PREPAR3D v4.5 FDS MIP, CDUs, Clocks, Shell, Liners, Tiller; FLIGHTILLUSION Brake-pressure, jaw-damper CPFlight: Overheads, Pedestal; MCP EFIS, OPENCOCKPIT Pedals; FCS: linked Yokes (modified); Weber-Seats on RAIL, ProSim B737 3.0, Aivalsoft EFB Version 2, Navigraph, FSC, BenQ1080 3 Beamer-Visual

Captbrian

Scott ,  can you let me know what TV's you are using and how far you have them from the cockpit?   I saw your video but it was hard to tell on your youtube video.

I am looking at using 4K TV's.

Thanks!

Brian

XOrionFE

The front is only an inch off the nose of the FDS shell.....probably about 3.5-4ft from pilots eyes.   The sides are about the same and as close in as can be.   Basically each 60 inch screen is at 135 degree angles off the front forming a perfect octagon

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate