Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:41:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
493 Guests, 1 User
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 499
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 493
Total: 494

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Room Size

Started by Jason L, February 24, 2018, 05:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason L

Alright on to topic number 2!
  I have a nice empty unfinished basement that I'm going to partition off a section for my sim-pit.  If I'm looking to put a 737 cockpit in there, and eventually a 210 degree projection screen, about what size room will I need?  It's going to have double doors to get into it for ease of bringing things in and out.  Trying to get a materials list together for next weekends build project.

Thanks!

blueskydriver

Jason,

The smallest I think you can get away with is 12'x12', but that all depends on the throw size of your projectors. If they can throw a big enough image, you will have the screen roughly about 18"-24" from the perimeter of the shell. Or, another way too judge this, is by determining your distance of the screen from the center of the throttle handles (call that A); by placing a plumb-bob from the ceiling (call it B) down to A.

Then, mark position B with a pencil on the ceiling. Next, hammer a nail into the ceiling at B and using a piece of string attached to the nail, measure straight out to the front (where you cockpit nose will be pointing) about 7' and make a mark on the ceiling (call it C). Now, keeping the string tight, start marking a circle on the ceiling, and this circle should be 7' from the nail all the way around. Try not to use a string that will stretch or better yet, make a nice and straight 1"x2" board, then cut it for 7' 1/2" and using the position B nail, attach it to the ceiling (the extra 1/2" will be on the small side behind the nail). Then, move the board around the nail (like a second hand on a clock). and at the same time drawing a circle on the ceiling...this is the line your screen will follow at the top.

For marking the bottom (on the floor, call it D), you can just use a plumb-bob and make a mark on the floor directly below the position B on the ceiling. Now, using the same 1"x2"x7' 1/2" board, make a mark on the floor like you did to get position C, and let's call this position E, then continue on and mark your circle on the floor just as you did on the ceiling...this is your bottom of the screen location.

Once you finish with the circle markings, you will have a good idea of the room size. However, like I mentioned, your projectors must be able to project a large image size and if they don't, you will have to move the position B to position C and the D to E farther out. Instead of 7' it might be 8' or even 9', but just remember the farther out the screen the bigger room space you will need. The name of the game is having the screen as close as possible, as long as the projector(s) image size is large enough.

Lastly, I am giving you the basically rough idea of screen distance/size versus cockpit, as there are more factors involved; do not worry about those factors for now, since you are just asking room size. Once you got the rough idea down, you add in for whatever else you want in the room...like a desk, computer rack and so on. Also add in for some free space so you will have room to move behind the screen, rack or desk and etc.

Again, I mentioned 12'x12' as a smallest size, but I strongly suggest 16'x16'; especially, since you're going to do a screen and projectors setup. If you were using monitors only (like Scott), it would be a great deal smaller...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

XOrionFE

Dont forget also that with projectors room height matters.  I would say you need a minimum ceiling height of 8ft for a projector setup.   

blueskydriver

Hey Scott,

Thanks for mentioning that, as I did forget about that aspect...lol.

Adding to what Scott says, the height is very important because the further up you can go, the more likely hood you can move the projectors from the position B and thereby gain a bit on the image sizing. In other words, you need space length wise to move the screen away from the projectors in order to get a bigger image, or if you have more height, you can move the projectors backward away from the screen to gain image size (at least until the nose of the cockpit blocks or cuts into the projected image).

Hopefully, this all makes sense and helps with your room size. If not, just ask more questions or use the search engine above and you will find many threads where us old timers were at this point in simulator builds...I know my older posts have a lot of the info I provided above.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Jason L

looks like I can squeeze about 16x18 or possibly 18x18 for the room.  Going to frame it up in the next week or so.  Thanks for the tips guys!

jackpilot

The bigger the better.
Do not forget that building a sim means having a workbench, tools and power tools, column drill, soldering station,  etc nearby, to avoid walking back and forth and pulling your hair.
Also space for the computers, documentation, ventilation etc.

Jack

blueskydriver

Hey Jason,

What is the height of your room by the way?

John

Jason L

That's a good question!  I'll have to check, but I believe it is just a standard ceiling height, so 8ft I think.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate