Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:39:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
183 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 204
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 183
Total: 183

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

New product - Yoke column base pivot mechanism

Started by Aerosim Solutions, April 19, 2010, 05:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerosim Solutions

Hi all, here is the prototype of my latest product! It is a base mount for Boeing type control columns. Any diameter of column can be attached to it just by drilling two holes through the column tube. The prototype has 50 degress of motion and the gear ratio is 5:1 so it rotates the 10Kohm potentiometer 250 degrees. The pitch angle can be altered by request as it just means a slight alteration to the CNC file. I still have another minor alteration to do to improve the pot mount but basically this is the unit. AUD$125 plus postage to solve the issue of pitch transmission!

Cheers Gwyn
www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Boeing Skunk Works

Now there is a product that no one else has thought of. The adjustable pitch angle is a great idea Gwyn. I forget the actual pitch angle while the yoke is neutral, but I want to say it's about 15° forward. Might be 10°, but like I said my memory is about as faulty as my aging eyes. I used to know the angle.

I'm thinking of rebuilding my yoke platform when I build the rudder pedal setup because the box I have the yoke mounted to is too wide for the space between the foot skids.

You'll be the first on my list for this part. In fact, you'll be the first on anyone's list because no one has ever though of this before.

You're always engineering the 'most awesomest' stuff for us!  ;D

Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

XOrionFE

That is another great idea Gwyn.   Looking at it it seems like it would be pretty easy to also turn into a two column setup where each column would extend past your bracket and into the floor then be connected with a cross tube with pulleys for cables.    Very cool either way.

These are the little things that cause a lot of frustration for DIYer's and you are sure making life easier for them with these little things that are huge headaches if you dont know what your doing.

Ok...so now I am looking forward to a rudder pedal mechanism kit :-)

Scott

Trevor Hale

Gwyn,

The fact you can create stellar equipment like this to just make the build process easier is a great thing.  I am excited that you can contribute in the fasion, and still give the builders something to build themselves.

Kudos to you buddy.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Aerosim Solutions

Cheers my friends!
My current focus for Aerosim is to produce many 'make it easier' products for novice builders. I can't think of all the problems so if you think there is something that needs designing let me know!!! The next product in my sights will be a column head elbow with a flange for mounting a yoke with a pot drive - stay tuned!

Scott - copy my old rudder design, it doesn't get much easier than that and it works great...

Gwyn
www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Kennair

Another fantastic idea Gwyn and just when I am looking at solving this very problem on the 777.  It seems you're my personal sim factory up the road. LOL!  I will of course be asking you to engineer a dual column system so perhaps that will push out to a secondary product in this line.

Remember to send me some pics to for the website too?

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Maurice

Great stuff Gwyn. I want one when it's ready so please PM me when available. I will also be very interested in the yoke part when ready.

Thanks,

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Aerosim Solutions

Quote from: maurice on April 21, 2010, 06:23:39 PM
Great stuff Gwyn. I want one when it's ready so please PM me when available. I will also be very interested in the yoke part when ready.

Thanks,

Maurice

I'll be making four sets of them this weekend, or maybe my CNC apprentice Leonie will!!!

Cheers, Gwyn

ian@737ng.co.uk

hello gwyn.......
i've been looking at this for a day or so and the little grey cells were going into overdrive.  hmmmmm.
just a quick question, is there any reason why you didn't put the pot on the inside coming out with the pinion gear where it is now.   saves making a bracket to hold the pot (or am i missing something ? ).
but, it's real clever and with you now cutting gears, well there's no end to what will be next  ;D
good man.....  wish you great success
say hello to the apprentice for me  ;D   ;D   ;D
rgds ... ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

Aerosim Solutions

Quote from: ian@737ng.co.uk on April 21, 2010, 06:46:10 PM
hello gwyn.......
i've been looking at this for a day or so and the little grey cells were going into overdrive.  hmmmmm.
just a quick question, is there any reason why you didn't put the pot on the inside coming out with the pinion gear where it is now.   saves making a bracket to hold the pot (or am i missing something ? ).
but, it's real clever and with you now cutting gears, well there's no end to what will be next  ;D
good man.....  wish you great success
say hello to the apprentice for me  ;D   ;D   ;D
rgds ... ian

Hi Ian,
I put the pot on the outside to keep clearance for the column which may need to pass through the floor level if it is to be linked over to the second yoke. I have already thought of removing the bracket and the 'Mark 2' version will have a small tab as part of the main plate that will stick out and be folded upwards to hold the pot in the same position.
"Will there be no end?" I don't think so! My mind is always going thinking about what else I can make, I'm limited by my own imagination!!! I've had quite a few requests for a yoke elbow so last night I completed CAD drawings to make the elbow for the top of the column. It will have a hollow axle for yoke wiring, a flange for mounting a yoke handle, a needle roller bearing, an internally geared potentiometer and a pulley on the back of the axle for linking roll motion to a second yoke. It will all be mounted in a standard 3 inch plumbing drain elbow. This will surely bring about a cheap option for building a yoke column with roll and pitch pots ready to wire. Stay tuned!!!
Cheers Gwyn

ian@737ng.co.uk

well 'hush my mouth' (serves me right for opening it).
ah! i never thought that far ahead.   simple answer which i really should have realised because the bride is always reminding me i'm simple (only kidding)    ;D
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

fsaviator

Thanks again Gwyn...

Here's something you can make... a waterproof cover for my keyboard.  I seem to keep shorting out my laptop when I drool on it.

It would appear that you have read my mind.  I've been sitting here pondering how to go about my yoke and lo and behold... an answer.

As always, great job.  Any thoughts on the damping mechanism?  I'm torn between screen door closers and the gas springs I bought five years ago to build into a rudder I never got around to.

Cheers,

Warren
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate