Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 03:48:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
264 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 509
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 264
Total: 264

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Differential breaking (Resolved)

Started by jackpilot, March 06, 2018, 05:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpilot

I use PFC rudder pedals.
https://flypfc.com/shop/rudder-pedals/cirrus-rudder-pedals-boeing-style/

Assignments and calibration FSUIPC (curve at 13) all OK
Even if I try to apply carefully the same pressure on both sides, I have a hard time breaking and keeping the aircraft on a straight line, which makes taxiing and docking a real challenge.

Need your comments and experience on that
Jack

Jack

Bob Reed

When I get the sim fired up today I will take a look at my settings. I am using CH pedals and as I recall I am not using any curve. I have to be carful when applying brakes but I have no issues while taxing or parking and once the Auto brakes have slowed me down to 80knts it is pretty easy to keep her going straight....

navymustang

Would like input on this from folks - on small aircraft differential breaking is required to assist in steering, but with a steerable nose wheel, how often does a real 737 pilot use breaks to steer rather than the tiller? After all, I think you get something like 73 degrees of nose wheel on the ground at low speed.

I actually have my breaks tied together without differential available, even though my hardware could support it if desired.

Thanks
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

jackpilot

I thought of that and I agree ...how do you assign each  pedal axix though, to keep proportional (not differential) breaking ? 8)

Jack

KyleH

Quote from: navymustang on March 06, 2018, 06:18:51 AM
Would like input on this from folks - on small aircraft differential breaking is required to assist in steering, but with a steerable nose wheel, how often does a real 737 pilot use breaks to steer rather than the tiller? After all, I think you get something like 73 degrees of nose wheel on the ground at low speed.

I actually have my breaks tied together without differential available, even though my hardware could support it if desired.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure I've seen a statement in a 767 manual to not use differential braking to steer. Not sure about the 737 with a single axis main gear.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

FredK

I find differential breaking (along with differential thrust) useful for making tight taxi turns, for example a u-turn at the end of a runway.  Not sure if that is SOP for the 737 though.

Regarding Jack's issue.....I find I have more issues with rudder steering on landing than with the differential brakes.  No issues at slow taxi speed to speak of.

Using linear slope calibration for brakes.  I am also using linear calibration for my rudders but have set the calibration limits to +/- 32000 in the FSUIPC to effectively cut the rudder sensitivity in half.  Perhaps that is something to play with for brakes in Jack's case.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

navymustang

One of the aspects I take when flying my sim is to replicate actual procedures as much as possible. So the use of differential breaks seems to be off limits. So why bother hooking them up?
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

jackpilot

Quote from: navymustang on March 06, 2018, 10:07:55 AM
One of the aspects I take when flying my sim is to replicate actual procedures as much as possible. So the use of differential breaks seems to be off limits. So why bother hooking them up?
So as said above, how do you link them?

Jack

KyleH

Use the FSX brakes axis rather than the individual axes.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

jackpilot

I use P3D and all P3D assignments are disabled (to avoid random double assignments)
Ill try assigning both left and right to the same axis on FSUIPC.

Jack

jackpilot

Done, works like a charm
FSUIPC5 and P3d
Axis tab
move left brake pedal
tick first line and assign "left brake"
tick second line and assign "right brake"

Rescan

Same for right brake

Jack

Like the Website ?