Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 10:30:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
59 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,638
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 59
Total: 59

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Seeking recommendations on a power supply

Started by AAnnillo, March 10, 2021, 10:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AAnnillo

Am looking for recommendations for a power supply for panel backlighting and instrument lights.

I'm particularly interested in a 6V with high amp power supply.  Hopefully, using only 1 supply but am not against using more than 1, if need be, and suspect this may be the requirement here.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks muchly.

Antny

kurt-olsson

Most backlight is runned on 5v.
I have one 5V 15 amps and one 5V 8 amps for all my backlights.

They are pretty cheap.

RayS

Are you planning on making the backlights adjustable? That could change things for you.

I run 12Vdc LED Light strips throughout my pit, controlled by 12Vdc LED Light Dimmers

LED Dimmers

Here's the supply I use: (Very sturdy, clean power.)
Meanwell 12Vdc 30 Amp power supply

If you're driving 5v LEDs, You could still use the 12Vdc supply & dimmer(s). Just use a 1K resistor in series instead of the usual drop-down values (270-330-470 ohms)
Ray Sotkiewicz

Joe Lavery

That's the same unit I bought from Amazon for the same purpose. Works great.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

AAnnillo

Thank you very much for the replies.

My apologies for the delay in replying sooner;  I've been in the process of selling a house and looking for a new one to buy.  Always a time-consuming and stressful process!

My project, Boeing 727-200, will be using OEM panels, instruments and assorted components as much as possible.
OEM lighting is fitted with GE 328 lamps/bulbs at 6V, .20amps each.  Given this, the engine instruments panel alone have a total of 45 individual lamps/bulbs (3 in each gauge), pulling a total of 9 amps.
I haven't calculated the main instrument panels, overhead panels nor the second officer's panels yet.  All panel backlighting indicates 5V.
All lighting is dimmable via rheostats located on the overhead panel.

I have recently purchased a throttle quadrant (VERY rare find) and will be dismantling, cleaning and lubricating it soon, then comes the addition of electronics for interfacing. 

All-in-all, a fun yet frustrating project.

I appreciate the input from all.

Thanks again.

Antny

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate